Monday 29 March 2021

The Week Before Last, and My Birthday

 Recently, we've been having all sorts of weather, sometimes within a few hours on the same day. Monday and Tuesday (15th/16th of March) were cold and mostly grey, with some sleety rain. I had no need to go outside except for a quick walk to the post office and the bakery, and did not even go for after-work-walks on either day.

By Wednesday (March 17), I felt restless enough to want to go out no matter what, and arranged to meet my sister after work for a walk. We started out in beautiful late afternoon sunlight, but on our way back had to struggle against strong, cold wind blowing snow and rain in our faces.


Thursday was again a mixed bag of cloudy and sunny skies, rain and snow. I had lunch at my parents' and again an after-work walk with my sister before it was time for the monthly meeting with my girlfriends. While I really don't feel like spending another hour at the computer after I've been in online conferences all day already, it is the only way I can see my friends these days, and so I do attend our virtual meetings - an hour once a month is not too much to ask for, I think.

On Friday, the 19th, my sister and I had sad news from Yorkshire: Our landlady is retiring and selling up - "our" cottage, where we have spent our annual Yorkshire holiday for many years, will be gone forever, without us having a chance for one last holiday there! Of course we perfectly understand Sue's reasons; at 74 and with her grandchildren offering a much more pleasant way of spending her days than catering for her B&B guests, she will be happy to see the work gone and move to a smaller, more convenient place. And we will stay in touch with her and meet up next time we're in Ripon - whenever that will happen!

My sister came to my place in the evening for some reminiscing and a commemorative G&T.

Then Saturday was here, and the start of a series of things to do with my birthday: First, O.K. arrived for what was to be a long weekend - we both had taken the Monday and Tuesday off.

I picked up the cake I had ordered at the bakery down the road, and we went to my parents' for coffee: Phase One of my birthday celebrations, even if it was two more days before the actual day. But Covid regulations only allow for two households to meet, and so we split things up. The cake was very nice, and my parents had not seen O.K. in a long time, so it was a welcome occasion for catching up.

Back home in the evening, we ordered pizza and watched TV - quite relaxing!

Then came Sunday, the 21st, another cold and grey day - not really walking material, but we had something else lined up anyway: an afternoon at a private Spa!

Just down the road from where I live is a spa place that normally offers all sorts of stuff such as massages, pedicure, facial treatments, as well as an entire floor of saunas etc. Under Covid regulations, the sauna part is not allowed to operate... unless you rent it privately and use the facilities all on your own, with no other visitors or staff present. And that's what we did: We had the entire upper floor with two different saunas, a steam bath, the showers, relaxing couches and so on all to ourselves! The staff only let us in, gave us quick instructions and then left us to our own devices before coming back to clean and lock up.




It was a most pleasant and relaxing way to spend a Sunday afternoon! 

Then it was Monday (March 22), and my birthday. O.K. had brought a huge stack of presents for me, plus there were the ones I had already received on Saturday at my parents. Unpacking took a while, and I was happy with each and everything. There were several kitchen items I'd had on my wish list, a big box of wine from my region, and much, much more - plus the many cards, emails, text messages and phone calls. So many kind people were thinking of me!


It was still cold and windy, but I so wanted to go to the palace grounds on my birthday, and so we did. It wasn't really very pleasant - not only because of the weather, but also because we are required to wear masks throughout our visit, even if there is nobody else about and we are out in the open. If you wear specs like I do, you know what that means - you are constantly struggling with steamed-up glasses and poor visibility. Never mind, I had my stroll in the palace grounds!


My sister finished work early and was at my place in time for coffee and cake, bringing more presents! I now have my very own mini garden on the window sill, planted by her:

She stayed for the evening, and we ordered Indian food - not from a takeaway place but from the very good Indian restaurant nearby, who are of course not open these days but offer food for pick-up or delivery.

The last phase of my birthday celebrations came on Tuesday. At the spa where we had spent Sunday afternoon, I had booked massages for O.K. and myself. Afterwards, we had enough time for a walk on the fields before I made our tea. O.K. left for the long drive home, and our nice long weekend and my birthday celebrations were well and truly over.

19 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good birthday weekend! I like the mini garden that you got from your sister :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its flowers have opened since I took that photograph, and it is now even prettier than when she gave it to me! A lovely idea.

      Delete
  2. What a splendid stretched out birthday weekend - it sounds lovely and I too like that garden. Hope next time you come to Ripon you manage to call in for afternoon tea with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, that would be wonderful! If only your place was easier to reach for us without a car. But of course, first of all we need to get back to Yorkshire - hopefully next year.
      Yes, stretching out one's birthday can be as much fun as a great birthday "do" with all friends and family around.

      Delete
  3. Now that is an excellent way to celebrate your birthday. Sounds like you made the most of each day that O.K. was with you--especially under the trying circumstances of all the restrictions. So glad you had a lovely birthday. May you have many more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Already after two weeks of being open, the spa place had to shut again - restrictions in y area have tightened again after the numbers of new infections keep soaring.
      Yes, we made the most of that extra long weekend!

      Delete
  4. What a great birthday weekend! I wondered how you were celebrating and now I know. 😊 Happy birthday to you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and likewise, dear friend! :-)

      Delete
  5. Dear Meike - belated Happy Birthday greetings from across the pond. May you have a great year, successful eye surgery later, and many exciting occasions to celebrate despite the problems we all face due to COVID. We have to cancel our trip to the UK in May - hope to come later in the year!
    You really know how to have a good time - your birthday time at the spa with O.K., fun I'm sure, and all the lovely gifts must have made for a great day.
    Sad about your 'holiday home' news - I know how you and your sis loved it there.

    Hope things are looking up in Germany - what's the news for vaccine availability there now?
    Hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Mary!

      Unfortunately, things are the opposite of looking up in Germany; vaccine availability should increase next month, but right now infection rates are soaring, mainly due to the "new" variations of the virus. Apparently, hospitals are at their limits already, and in several areas (including my town and most of the federal state I live in) lockdown restrictions have been tightened again.

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday Meike! It sounds like you had a wonderful weekend and that makes me very happy. The Spa experience sounds perfect and all your other gifts are wonderful as well. The mini garden from your sister is a lovely and personal gift knowing she put it together just for you! Celebrations can be challenging these days and it makes me feel good to know you had such a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bonnie! Yes, the mini garden is a wonderful and personal gift, giving me joy every time I look at it. I hope it will last long, and when this first set of spring flowers are gone, I can plant summer flowers.
      The spa was a bit of a last minute idea, and the weekend would have been very nice without it, too, but it certainly added to the celebratory mood!

      Delete
  7. Belated birthday wishes coming your way from New Mexico, USA. I loved all your celebration, every bit of it! Wishing you many more wonderful birthdays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Jill! I loved all of it, too - and am so happy with my mini garden and all the other wonderful presents! (About half of the chocolate is already gone, as is some of the wine...)

      Delete
    2. Glad to hear that, especially the wine!

      Delete
  8. Happy birthday to you. Thank you for sharing your world with us, the palace garden looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Curly Club, and thank YOU for reading and commenting. The palace grounds were not at their best just yet; now, one and a half weeks later and with plenty of sunshine, many more flowers are out than when we were there on the 22nd.

      Delete
  9. That sounds like the most brilliant birthday. Imagine having a spa all to yourselves! How very special that sounds. And, the pile of presents and good wishes must make you feel so pleased. It's nice to read your happy, cosy post - I don't know about you but I have been avoiding the news recently. Not that it is specially bad, but just because I want to be thinking about other things, like family, friends and celebrations, at this optimistic time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed quite something to have a spa to yourself - and in this case, much less expensive than you‘d think. After all, the spa owners are not allowed to run their business as usual, and are glad for any chance to earn a bit of money.
      I guess it is my family and friends who are keeping me sane under the current circumstances!

      Delete