Tuesday 8 June 2021

Read in 2021 - 5: In Good Faith

In Good Faith

#2 in the Joe Dillard Series

by Scott Pratt

 

A free ebook that for some reason sounded interesting enough from the brief summary that I downloaded it some years ago, I did want to know how it was going to work out but was not overwhelmed. 

Solid writing, the courtroom and procedure bits clearly based on how things are really done, as well as the main characters based on the author and his family; and yet, not entirely my cup of tea.

The story in short: Joe Dillard, a former defense attorney, turns prosecutor and is assigned a case that touches on everything dear to him, nearly costing him his own life during the showdown with the person responsible for several murders.

Needless to say, all turns out well in the end, and of course the reader is aware of this from the start - or it wouldn't be a series. There are still a few surprises along the road, and the suspense is definitely there.

Not a must-read, but a can-read, and it did not at all matter that I had not read #1 in the series. It made for a good read during several train rides and on a rainy Sunday afternoon when a walk was not a good idea.

The author's website is here, now managed by his son (Scott Pratt and his wife both died a few years ago). I had never heard of him before but have read through the handful of blog posts on his site, finding them rather touching.

10 comments:

  1. Hmm... where can I get this Ebook? Would love to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try Amazon's kindle shop - that's where I usually go for ebooks.

      Delete
  2. I see that my library has two of his other books. I will give him a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Ellen. I'd like to know what you make of them. As I said, the book was not entirely my cup of tea.

      Delete
  3. You've prompted me to download some ebooks I keep forgetting to download - although as you know I mostly use Faded Page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have just reminded me that there was something I meant to look up at the Kindle shop... I must go back to some of the blogs I follow to see what it was.

      Delete
  4. This book sounds interesting enough but I've never been into courtroom stories and books. Still, you can't beat free and I have downloaded and read several of the free Kindle books and enjoyed most of them. It sounds like this was a good time-passer for your train trips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what it was, Bonnie, a good time-passer. But I did not get "into" the story and the characters enough to want to read the entire Joe Dillard series. Some of the people characterisations were just too black and white for me, I guess.

      Delete
  5. I have "a ton" of unread free or cheap e-books on my Kindle already, so I think I'll pass on this one... ;) (Always good to read an honest review, though!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said, it was solid writing and all, but just not entirely my cup of tea.

      Delete