Tuesday 18 January 2022

Back To City Life

After having spent the first days of this year at O.K.'s with beautiful countryside all around, it was back to the city on the 7th. 

Arriving at my place mid-afternoon gave us enough time (after a quick coffee, unpacking and starting the washing machine) to catch the last of the daylight on a walk into town. We stopped at a relatively new wine shop that we discovered for ourselves less than half a year ago. It does not only sell wine, sparkling wine, gin and other booze plus a range of deli food to go with it, one can also sit down for a glass, or book a tasting and other events.

We both felt like a drink and so tried one of their own sparkling wines. Our entire stay there did not last much more than half an hour, but I enjoyed it greatly; sitting in the warm room, modern but cosy, with the city lights outside the window, felt so completely different from all of last week. (In the photo, I have deliberately blurred O.K.'s face, but did not want to cut the picture completely, so as not to destroy the symmetry.)

Not long ago, Pat (Weaver of Grass) asked her blog readers whether they were more country or town people. Her post and the comments make interesting reading. For me, the opportunity to have both town and country in my life is ideal; I love the area around O.K.'s village and our Black Forest (and other) hikes, but I also like my hometown, which isn't very big at about 90,000 residents. Life in a real big city would probably overwhelm me; the occasional visit is enough.

Anyway; on that late afternoon, I felt very comfortable and entirely at home in town. Later, we had a nice meal with my sister, ordered from the Indian restaurant not far from my house. The rest of the weekend saw us taking advantage of the sunny (but cold and windy) weather with several walks and visiting my parents.

Monday the 10th was back to work for me. With most of my clients having been on holiday over Christmas and New Year, I was able to ease back into work at a relatively gentle pace. The week was still sunny (but cold), and so I shifted my after-work-walks to the early to mid-afternoons, returning to work afterwards for another couple of hours or so. It was on one of those walks that I spotted the first snowdrops this year, growing in a sunny patch at the corner of a farm house.

A few rosehips still hanging on


Muddy walks with shady figures


On Friday, I worked until just before lunch and then went for a walk with my sister. We took a quick walk in the palace grounds, looking for early signs of spring. This beautiful plant was unknown to us, but my Mum says it is a mahonia.


The weekend saw me returning to O.K.'s, and Saturday's hike was enchanting - you'll see why in one of my next posts.

16 comments:

  1. Love ‘going’ on your walks. We have had some lovely bright sunny days recently (south west England). I think Mum is correct, it looks like a Mahonia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've looked Mahonia up on wikipedia, and one of the pictures looks exactly like the plant we saw in the park.
      It's grey and overcast now, and rain/snow forecast for later this week. All the more am I glad for every time I have taken advantage of sunny weather for a walk.

      Delete
  2. I too like the "halfway" stage between town and country. Our village has the basic ammenities, with great walks and scenery, but the City is only 30 mins away and supermarkets etc are even nearer. This way I get the best of both worlds. I agree with Sue Jay it is a Mahonia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From O.K.'s village, the town of Offenburg (at about 60,000, it is somewhat smaller than my home town) can be easily reached by car, bike or bus; even a (longish) walk is possible. My town is very densely built up with smaller towns all the way to Stuttgart, leaving only few open spaces in between.
      Yes, it is a Mahonia.

      Delete
  3. You are such a positive person that you can find joy wherever you are! You certainly are good at finding beauty no matter where you walk and I appreciate you sharing your happy spirit with me! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome, dear Ellen. It is true; I look for (and find) beauty or something positive nearly everywhere and in most situations. But then that is not difficult if you live as cushioned from aversities as I do.

      Delete
  4. Interesting descriptions of your journeys, walks and relaxing times these past couple of weeks dear Meike - all sounding positive and extremely enjoyable with O.K. Glad you're home safely now and it sounds like your family are well - know they must love having you nearby. Hope this a great year for you all.
    Hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I am only a 10/15-minute-walk from my parents and my sister, they do not see me quite as often as they would like, I'm afraid. But it is certainly much easier to see them as to travel 150 km back and forth every other weekend!
      I hope it will be a better year for you than 2021, Mary, especially with you being able to travel more (to the old home, first and foremost).
      Hugs back,
      Meike X

      Delete
  5. Home is always best. I never thought I would take to living in a big town, but I love the convenience of it, and the joy of finding countryside within the town. There is something super cosy about having a drink in nice surroundings whilst its dark outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't really describe how that half hour or so made me feel - you know those precious perfect moments when you do not wish to be anywhere else, with anyone else? It was one of those.
      Yes, life in town (even such a small one as mine) can be very convenient. I am at the train station in under 10 minutes and in the town center in about 15, but I am also out on the fields in the same time, just a different direction.

      Delete
  6. Glad it works out for you, having "a bit of both worlds" so to say. Occasionally I miss when I could go out to my parents' house in the countryside outside town (primarily while they were still living there, rather than the years when it stood empty) but it suits me better to live as I do in a fairly big town with walking distance to basic amenities. Our towns are about the same size I think - our population is said to be 75000-114000 depending on whether you count only the urban area or include surrounding villages belonging to the same municipality / administration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the bit of both worlds is ideal for me. I guess it is better that during the working week, I don't have such immediate access to orchards, vineyards and woodland as at O.K.'s - otherwise, my lunch breaks would last all afternoon, and I'd never get anything done!
      I have just looked up the current statistics for my town: 93,140 inhabitants, that's counting the city itself plus the 7 suburbs (all of them much older than Ludwigsburg) which fell under its administration in the 1950s or so.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. They were last week, weren't they! We're in for a sunny first half of day today; then (and for the rest of the week) clouds are forecast which will bring rain and possibly snow.

      Delete
  8. There is something wonderful about being in a cosy bright place with the dark and cold outside. I am not a huge fan of wine but like the idea of being able to do other things or attend events. One of my favourite places to eat in the winter will always remain a cafe I used quite a bit on a trip to Toronto in the depths of January- it had lots of little screens showing clips from quaint old adverts. It somehow managed to be both lively (with the cheerful amusing old ads) and relaxing (because many people were sitting and watching quietly) ! I wonder if it is still there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great place indeed, Jenny. I am sure if it still exists, you can find it online.
      I like coming home to my warm, clean flat after a walk in wintry weather.

      Delete