Tuesday 4 January 2022

The Last and First Days

Of course, it is all man-made, this end of one year and start of another, but that does not stop me from liking this particular time of year and enjoying the quiet transition from December to January.

Somehow, the week between Christmas and New Year passed very quickly, without me doing all that much apart from looking after Hobbes every day, meeting an old school friend for a lunchtime walk, and a trip to Stuttgart with my sister, where we met a couple of friends of hers for lunch.

On New Year‘s Eve, O.K. arrived in time for a walk to catch the beautiful late afternoon sun across the fields.


We were at my sister‘s at 7:30 pm and set everything up for our Raclette. The table was hardly big enough to hold all the delicious things we had put together, and that was just for the three of us!

By midnight, we were ready to clink glasses of sparkling wine and watch what little sparkling in the clear nightly sky there was to be - and were amazed to see that there was quite an impressive and beautiful display over the town. For the second year in a row, no fireworks have been legally sold here, but of course those who want them will always find ways to have them nonetheless.


New Year‘s Day saw us getting up early enough for me to manage about half an hour with Hobbes (our good-bye cuddle) and packing my suitcase for the next days. We had coffee with my parents and then set off for the 150 km drive to the village, where we joined O.K.‘s family for their traditional New Year‘s meal. 

This week has been unseasonably warm so far, but the spring-like mild weather is going to end tonight. By tomorrow, what is currently coming down as rain could easily be snow. A strong wind is blowing, and we have been having the lights on all day because it is so dark and grey outside. We still managed a quick walk around the village earlier today, though. These last three pictures were taken during that walk, at about half an hour before midday:




On both Sunday and Monday, we took advantage of the good weather and went hiking. Those hikes will have their own posts, though.

12 comments:

  1. It is interesting what you say about fireworks, so I've been looking it up to find that the purpose of the German ban is to minimise mass gatherings, but I read that people are driving off to Poland to buy them. No bans here. Some that were going off sounded extremely powerful. You wonder whether some are composite fireworks that people assemble themselves. I know firework displays can be spectacular, but I'm coming round to favouring an outright domestic ban because of the noise now all year round which disturbs both people and animals, and because of the pollution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The main argument given here for the ban was to avoid injuries, so that our already overworked hospital staff would not have to deal with this on top of everything else. Many agree with you, promoting a ban for good, to reduce pollution, noise and harm to animals and humans alike. Here in the south, many drove to Switzerland to buy fireworks, and others did indeed make their own. At least two people died, one a 12 year old boy who was merely watching his neighbours‘ fireworks.

      Delete
  2. What a busy social life you lead, Meike. Long may it continue and long may you be happy. Here's hoping that 2022 is a Good Year.

    As for fireworks I much preferred it when, on Lewis, we just had official displays which everyone enjoyed from the safety of afar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Busy social life? That may have been so in pre-pandemic times, when my average week would have seen me out and about 3 out of 5 nights, and we were at someone‘s birthday or other occasion almost every weekend. It was very nice meeting my sister‘s friends, but that was a singular event - the only such meeting in the last three months or so.
      The former Lewis approach is a very reasonable one - leave it to the experts and enjoy the show!

      Delete
  3. Pascal said our misfortune comes from being unable to sit quietly in a room.
    I would add that we need to ramble quietly in those fields near the village.
    It could almost be Hardy's Egdon Heath, with wild ponies cropping the furze (gorse).
    I enlarged the 3 photos, and it seemed the place to spend these early days of 2022.

    Tasker is correct to want to ban the disruptive fireworks.
    The death of one child should convince everyone but it won't, alas.
    If only we could party more quietly in Pascal's sense. In my childhood children played games in the street, back courts, parks, unaccompanied by parents.
    Jack H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can easily sit quietly in a room as long as I have something to read or write (or my favourite computer game), but the next day, I get cabin fever and need to stretch my legs and air my head.

      The area around O.K.‘s village is beautiful, no matter the time of year. I am now looking forward to the orchards in bloom, but of course that will take at least 3 1/2 months.

      As for fireworks, I would gladly see a total ban for households, and instead official displays by experts for all to watch and enjoy.

      Delete
  4. It sounds like a lovely, gentle holiday. Hobbes is a beauty! We saw some fireworks, too -- not a lot; just some that our host's neighbor had. But they were fun and festive and a lovely way to start the year. I hope your new year is very good and happy indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeanie!
      Yes, Hobbes is lovely, and I keep thinking of him, hoping that whoever is looking after him now is able to spend some time with him on top of feeding and cleaning.

      Delete
  5. Your New Years celebration sounds like fun! I'm glad you were still able to get some walks in over the holidays as well. Fireworks are only legal here for about four days in July over our Independence Day. However on New Years and a few other special days there are always a few people that have saved some for those occasions. I hope your return to work goes well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those two hikes on Sunday and Monday were so good for body and soul!
      My return to work should be fine; I don‘t think very much will have happened at my clients‘ over these two weeks. Many offices run on a skeletal staff this time of year; it is probably the same pretty much everywhere.

      Delete
  6. Lots of celebrating for you! Sounds like fun. Hope 2022 is a happy year for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, everything twice - first with my family, then with O.K.‘s 😊
      Thank you, Ellen, I hope it is a happy year for you, too.

      Delete