Wednesday 20 April 2022

April 12, After Work

Lately, I have been on more walks on my own than with company. My sister has been busy looking after a friend who was undergoing cancer therapy, and so I was mostly by myself. If you have been reading my blog for a while, you know that I don't mind that at all, but of course I miss my sister when we don't get to see each other as frequently as usual. Naturally, a friend in need takes precedence, but now that said friend is getting better and does not need my sister's help every day anymore, we will be out and about together more often again.

View from my kitchen window at 6:21 in the morning

The 12th of April was a warm day at 20 Celsius. Good part of the day was sunny, but by mid-afternoon, another swathe of dust from the Sahara covered much of the sky. Much as I love being out in the sun, my eyes are very light-sensitive and don't deal well with bright sunshine, something that has become more pronounced since last summer's operations. Therefore, I did not mind the sky being greyer by the time I finished work, and went out.

Some days, I have a pretty good idea of where I want to walk; others, I just have a vague general direction in mind and more or less follow the path on a whim. That day, I had the exact route in my head, and only towards its end did I cover  paths I was not familiar with, while always knowing where I was, and where I needed to go.

Starting out from my house and walking past the deer park, across the road to the ruins of the castle above Hoheneck, I spotted the ferris wheel even from there:

Can't see it? How about now:

There it is!

From here, I walked along the top of the vineyards and orchards on the slope this side of the river Neckar. By now, you will all be familiar with the landmarks here; the "rocket", the river and the beautiful white building of the Schiller Museum at Marbach, one of my work places. 


This is where I left the familiar path and followed signposts I had not paid attention to before. You can see the Schiller Museum overlooking Marbach in the distance:

A better view of the museum; I loved the way it looked from there, framed by the trees in their white spring dresses:
This was still part of the official path:
It went on across these fields and would have taken me all the way down to the river and into Marbach itself, but I took a left turn shortly after this picture was taken, and walked into Benningen, where I boarded the local train home:

Looking back the way I'd come, just before 7:00 pm.

One last glimpse at the museum.

I greatly enjoyed this walk and hope to repeat it soon, maybe with my sister. The few people I met along the way were mostly working on their allotments or in their vineyards; there were hardly any cyclists and only one or two walking their dogs.

12 comments:

  1. What a nice hike at the end of the day! I especially liked the last photo as I can see your shadow with raised arms taking the photo! Lovely views of your morning and night skies too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ellen - you have a good eye, I wasn't actually aware of my shadow being visible there :-)

      Delete
  2. How pleasing to walk on a whim !
    I do so almost every day except when high winds bring seacoast rain.

    The Schiller Museum had me looking for YouTube videos on Marbach and I will reread my copy of Schiller's only novel, *The Man Who Sees Ghosts* : Pushkin Press, London.
    It would be easy enough to visit Marbach and then the Durer museum in Nuremberg which I would like to do one day.

    Yesterday I purchased Alexander Nemerov's biography of Helen Frankenthaler and Philip Hoare's lively study of Durer, *Albert and the Whale* : painting like music refreshes the spirit. Both paperbacks are copiously illustrated.
    Ms Frankenthaler was of German origins and so were a number of her friends in the 1950s New York art scene.

    Driving from Marbach to Weinsberg/ Baden-Wurttemberg/ Germany/ Shot on GoPro.
    YouTube. Lost in.
    Why does this lady have a fly on her head? / National Gallery.
    YouTube.

    The painting of the lady in the white head-dress has never been attributed and one of the comments suggests Albrecht Durer.
    David Bailey the photographer said he can photograph anyone and make them look interesting : so can a great portrait painter, though the woman's inner life can only be imagined.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marbach and Nürnberg are not exactly next to each other, but visiting both places is certainly doable. For me, Marbach is only a 10-minute train ride away, or a 1 1/2 hour's walk along the river or across the fields via Freiberg and Benningen.

      The name Frankenthaler sounds very German. I have never come across either Alexander Nemerov nor Helen Frankenthaler or Philip Hoare. As usual, you are infinitely more well-read and knowledgeable than I shall ever be.

      Delete
  3. It looks like it was a lovely walk and I agree that it can be nice to walk alone sometimes. Your sister is a wonderful person to be such help to her friend with cancer. It can be challenging to watch a person you care about go through cancer and its treatments. It will be good for both of you when you can once again walk together. I enjoyed your photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did go walking together yesterday, in the beautiful late afternoon/early evening sunshine, and even sat in a beer garden for a while. It gave us the chance to catch up with each other nicely. My sister is one of the most generous people I know, always there for her family and friends.

      Delete
  4. It looks so lovely there and I wish so much I could walk with you - and your sister. A return to see more of Germany, including Berlin as I've not been there, is on that long 'must try to do' list. We feel things are opening up more now. Just had our second booster vaccine - 4 shots total - which will make us more confident regarding long distance travel, if of course our health issues don't go downhill!
    UK trip is getting closer (June) so it will be interesting to see how we manage that after all the COVID cancellations - I just have to get home this year for many reasons, fingers are crossed!
    Hugs dear Meike.
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister and I are planning a trip to Yorkshire in July; our last visit to see family and friends there was in 2019. It will also be our first time in the UK since Brexit became effective... we will see what has changed.

      Wishing you all the best for your upcoming trip and both your and Bob's health!
      Hugs back
      Meike x

      Delete
  5. When I read this post I think how lovely it must be to have a sister. I have an elder brother but he is very remote. I take great pleasure in the friendship and mutual support that my two daughters give to each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can confirm that it IS lovely to have a sister! As kids, we often fought and bickered between us, but as soon as anyone from outside was threatening either of us, we would unite and turn against them.
      Growing up (and older), we appreciated each other more and more, and grew even closer.

      Delete
  6. What a pleasant walk, and it must have been particularly so with the spring blossom. It's not just the look of it, it is the subtle scent of it which makes me feel happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Jenny; I breathe in all those spring scents and find them wonderful, balm for the soul. (Not that my soul needs much balming these days, I am generally well and happy.)

      Delete