Tuesday 26 April 2022

Easter Weekend

As usual, I am trying to catch up here, and as usual, what I am blogging about has happened at least a week ago. Here is a bit about my Easter weekend, which was beautiful and relaxing. In Germany, we have both Good Friday and Easter Monday off, making it a nice four-day weekend. 

I split Easter up between my family here in Ludwigsburg and O.K.'s family, starting on the Thursday with a traditional evening meal at my parents'. Friday saw me and my sister walking together. It was a beautiful sunny day, and we even had ice cream from a café we found to be open along our way.  
On the Saturday, I had a nice long chat on the phone with my mother-in-law in Ripon before walking over to my parents' place again, where my sister and I spent the evening with our Dad so that he would not be on his own for too long while my Mum was out with a friend.

On Easter Sunday, I got up before 6:00. O.K.'s mother was hosting the family lunch for the six of us - O.K.'s parents, his sister and her husband, O.K. and I, so I had to make sure to arrive in time for that. Unfortunately, railway repairs were scheduled right for that weekend, making the journey twice as long as usual and with four changes instead of two. One of those changes would have meant a half hour wait at Karlsruhe station, only to get on the next train for about 10 minutes before having to change again. O.K. thought this was nonsense, and drove all the way up to Karlsruhe to pick me up there instead! That was very helpful and nice of him, and shortened my trip considerably.

It was another beautiful sunny day, and we went for two walks: One with the family between lunch and coffee (which we were able to have outside on the patio), and later an evening walk for just the two of us.


Calendula

We met again the next day to "officially" open the BBQ season in the court/drive of O.K.'s parents. And again, it was a beautiful and sunny day, with the afternoon getting warm enough for wearing a t-shirt. 

Earlier, O.K. and I had been walking in the communal woods, so beautiful this time of year, and between the orchards and vineyards surrounding the village. There were blossoms everywhere - on the trees, on the ground, on hedges and in the fields. 





Some vineyards resemble a buttercup plantation.



Other vineyards have a carpet of daisies.



On Tuesday morning, I took the train home; it was the same train times I usually have on a Monday morning, but with a lot less people. In my suitcase were several chocolate bunnies and Easter eggs to add to the ones already given to me by my parents and my sister - and you wouldn't believe how little is left now, 1 1/2 weeks later :-D

10 comments:

  1. Luckily I didn't get a single bunny thank goodness! As usual lovely photographs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat!
      I would have been very disappointed if there had not been any chocolate bunnies and eggs. Life without chocolate is possible... I think!

      Delete
  2. What a busy but fun Easter weekend you had! The blue sky in your photos is so vivid and lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds busier than it was, I think - there was still plenty of time to rest and relax.
      That blue sky was really beautiful!

      Delete
  3. Lovely to see some colour back in nature, isn't it - and blue skies and sunshine on top of that! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely, and those spring colours are gorgeous!

      Delete
  4. A long weekend with blue skies and leisurely walks ... and Schokolade too ?
    In an idle moment over coffee and a Lindor mint truffle, I looked up German schokolade brands, and how evocative are their names.
    Family-owned firms, Hachez of Bremen and Niederegger of Thomas Mann's Lubeck;
    Baurin in Bavaria; Schogetten based in Bergisch Gladbach in Westphalia; not to mention international names like Ritter, Milko, Moser Roth and Merci.
    Call me a name-dropper but I have a fancy to try Mozartkugein (pistachio, almond and nougar) with a glass of dessert wine, Tokaji Aszu since I don't have a German one in my fridge, with the Master's Clarinet Concerto in A Major, Second Movement (YouTube) in the background.
    Dazzling photos as ever.
    Juxtaposition of the first three made my greyish late April evening.
    Tausend dank !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ritter are based in Waldenbuch, not all that far from where I am. They have an exhibition/museum built next to the factory, showing the history of chocolate in general and of Ritter in particular. Also, their factory shop is a huge magnet.
      Moser Roth were originally from Stuttgart and now belong to Aldi. Milka is quite nice but have blown up their product range beyond recognition with all sorts of cakes and cookies and whatnot. Merci is very popular here as a little thank you gift, for instance for a neighbour who has been looking after your mail and plants while you were away. Baurin I have never heard of, Schogetten for me are very much a 1970s and 80s thing. Hachez is at the higher end of the price range; I like their sweetly old-fashioned Christmas designs on the wrapping paper.
      You won't catch me having a Mozartkugel - I don't like Marzipan! But I would gladly help you with the Tokaji.

      Delete
    2. Marzipan is an acquired taste, my mother disliked it as she did almonds.
      The taste of marzipan reminds me of Christmas as do tangerines, chestnut stuffing, single malt whisky and the bouquet of pine trees.
      Isn't there a Japanese legend about the next world, that we receive sustenance from foods just through their aroma, for we have no need of a digestive system ?

      Baur is a luxury brand of truffles and pralines, located in Allgau in the foothills of the Bavarian mountains.
      Decades ago I visited the factories of our industrial chocolatiers, Rowntree in York, Cadbury in Birmingham, and Fry's near Bristol.
      Rowntree's Kit Kat machine was impressive, and my engineer father told me he would like to have seen it.
      'Machines need oil,' my father said, 'so I would like to see how they keep the oil away from their chocolate.'.
      Then I went to a luxury niche chocolatier, Bendicks. A beautiful factory.

      There is a huge garden centre outside the village of Burford in the Cotswolds.
      Their shopping area has a selection of chocolate with brands I had never seen before with the most eye-catching decorated boxes.
      A glass of Tokaji also goes nicely with rose and lemon Turkish delight, boxes of which sell in Waitrose (Levantine Table) for just £2.

      Delete
    3. Decades ago, I had a phase when I was very fond of lokoum (Turkish delight) and bought it at one of the Turkish shops we have here in town, but I must have had a little too much and gone off it a bit.
      On a day trip to York, my sister, my niece and I visited a chocolate café; the place also offers truffel and praline making courses (which of course we did not have time for that day). I don't remember whether they were Terry's or any other York-based brand, but they were good!

      Delete