Thursday 28 April 2022

Remembering Martin

Most of you know that I have been a regular at the Irish Pub in my town, mostly to play the pub quiz on Tuesday nights, but also just for a drink or a meal outside on Ludwigsburg's beautiful market square in the summer; I even celebrated my 50th birthday there by renting the entire place for me and my 70 guests.

Of course, the two years under Covid-related restrictions meant no pub quiz, but I was able to meet up with my team a couple of times outside. And since my birthday fell on a Tuesday this year, it was the perfect occasion to gather The Corner Shop for our first pub quiz since before the pandemic.

I am telling you all this because the man who started it all, our friend Martin, died unexpectedly at the beginning of April. We'd known each other for about 15 years, which is when "our" Irish Pub opened, and he was there at its very first quiz night. Not much later, he asked me and another friend along, and since I had been to what my husband called queez neet in Yorkshire*, I was happy to have a similar event right in my home town.

It was through Martin that, one by one, I met the people who over the years have become not only my team mates, but also my friends. While several others came and went over the years (some moving away, some losing interest), the core of our team has remained. 

When we learned of his sudden death, we were hoping for it to be a mix-up with someone else by the same name. But it was soon clear that it was indeed our friend Martin. You can imagine the shock; he was only 61 and generally in good health. He played squash and walked a lot, and as far as I know, he never smoked.

It was on April 6 that I learned of Martin's death. After work, I went for a walk, and as I was thinking of Martin I turned around and looked at the sky behind me. It seems fitting to include the photo I took at that moment with this post.

Our friend C, who had become closest to Martin in recent years, wrote: "He died alone in his [London flat] without any signs of foul play. [...] After the autopsy was done, [his partner] learned that he died of pulmonary thromboembolism. Martin and Anne were in the UK taking care of things for 3 weeks with Anne taking a short side-trip back to her home state of Colorado when an unusual radio silence in Martin's response time to text messages started occurring. She had to ask the local police to break in and [they] found Martin."

Originally from Liverpool, after years in Berlin and Moscow, Martin settled in my home town. He ran his own company, an agency for copywriting and translation. Twice I worked for him there for short periods when I was between jobs, playing secretary and taking care of his terminology data base. I learned a lot from him and was pleased to find that working together did not harm our friendship at all.

I had organised for us to be at the pub quiz again this past Tuesday with Martin supposed to be there as well. In fact, his confirming email was the last time we were in touch. It still seems unreal that he's not there anymore, and when I send an email to all the team, it just does not feel right NOT to include his email address with the recipients.

We agreed that we still wanted to meet at the pub on Tuesday, and dedicated the evening to Martin. Chris, our host, had known Martin from the start, and he was equally shocked when we told him. After the quiz, he joined us at our table with a drink on the house, and together, we raised our glasses to Martin.

His humour and wit, his vast knowledge on many subjects, his creative thinking and grasp of languages and above all his kindness and friendship are sorely missed, but never forgotten.

*The first ever pub quiz I attended was at The Telstar in Wath upon Dearne.

26 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear of someone else dying so young (same age as my late husband) and so suddenly - what a huge shock

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shock and grief must be so much worse for Anne. As my husband died completely out of the blue, too (at 41), I have a pretty good idea of how that feels.

      Delete
  2. That is so sad that he died so young. But he left many good memories behind and those will come to the forefront when you think of him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those memories are created while we're alive, and help those we leave behind.

      Delete
  3. This post brought tears to my eyes even though I never met Martin. These lives we live can end in a heartbeat as you know better than most. I am now toasting both Martin and Steve with my mug of tea. Cheers lads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strangely enough, Neil, iwhen I wrote the last words of this post, I cried for the first time since learning of Martin's death. Somehow putting it in writing made it more real than before.
      Thank you for including Steve in your toast.

      Delete
  4. Wherever he is I hope he can read how much you all thought of him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will be a gathering for his friends here in Germany to remember him once his partner has sorted out things in England and returns to their flat here.

      Delete
  5. I hope that sharing happy memories with friends will bring you comfort during this sad time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly does for me, Ellen. Thank you.

      Delete
  6. Sorry for the loss of your friend. I too often find it helpful to put things in writing... Nice post in his memory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Monica. Yes, writing can be very helpful, as can walking.

      Delete
  7. This is such sad news. I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend Martin. May he rest in peace, and may his memory be a blessing.

    ("May their memory be a blessing" is a Jewish mourning phrase I first heard when Ruth Bader Ginsberg died, and I think it's a lovely sentiment. I've been using it ever since).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good and fitting phrase to use in this context, Jennifer. Thank you.

      Delete
  8. This post is a beautiful tribute to Martin. He sounds like such a special person and I am sorry to hear of his loss. I send my condolences to you and all of Martin's friends and loved ones. A part of him will always be with you and his loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please accept my condolences for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I, too, am sorry for your loss. It is a sad fact of life that the older we get the more often we say that and with the knowledge that one day we will also be the subject of condolences (hopefully pleasant ones).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Graham.
      As my grandmother was blind for the last 11 years of her life, we took turns in reading the local paper to her. She always wanted to know the family adverts and knew someone who had died almost every week.

      Delete
  11. Very sudden and sad.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I still cannot get over the fact that he is just
    not here any more...'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Unknown.
      When I sent an email to The Corner Shop (our pub quiz team) to remind everyone of tonight's quiz, it still felt WRONG not to see Martin's address there.

      Delete