Saturday 30 April 2022

Gone Walking

Well, not quite yet. But starting today, I will be away for a fortnight. It is my and O.k.'s usual first half of May holiday, and this year, it will start with the village May fête again - for the first time since 2019.

I still can not imagine being in a large tent with so many people for HOURS, but I guess I can always wear a mask when I feel unsafe. Of course, O.K. and I are involved; he's been helping setting things up since 9:00 this morning, and will play with the village band while I will be handing out food from behind the counter. (Provided my trains will be on time!)

This is going to be our "holiday" for today and tomorrow. On Tuesday, we'll be celebrating O.K.'s birthday - no big do, just the family. And finally, next Sunday (May 8), we will be driving deeper and further down into the Black Forest, to spend a week at a hotel where we've been before.

That hotel has no WiFi other than in the manager's office, and the entire valley has no mobile signal - therefore, don't wonder where I am when I won't be posting or commenting for a while.

The picture here was taken during an after work walk with my sister last week. It was such a beautiful day that we decided to have a shandy at a beer garden in nearby Asperg. We spent a couple of very relaxing and pleasant hours together, catching up with each other after our usual regular walks had not been possible for a while.

18 comments:

  1. Sounds l like you have a lot of fun to look forward to! Hope the weather cooperates and you have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ellen! Yesterday was much better than the forecast - not a drop of rain all afternoon and evening. I ended my shift at the food counter at 11:30 pm.

      Delete
  2. Have fun, dear Meike! We'll be looking forward to your return. ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Jennifer! I will probably post some time during the coming week, but once we are at the hotel, there will be silence 😊

      Delete
  3. It's wonderful to have two weeks holiday! Enjoy the celebration this weekend and your week deep in the Black Forest too. I looked at your link of the hotel and it does look very nice. Please send my birthday wishes to O.K. as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will do that, Bonnie, thank you!
      Here in Germany, employees usually have 6 weeks off during the year. O.K. and I always take two weeks in May and two in September. The remaining two weeks I am going to spend in Yorkshire this year. Yay!!!

      Delete
  4. Wishing you a nice holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a lovely break in The Black Forest and don't eat too much Black Forest Gateaux!

    P.S. I wonder how many words you and your sister have exchanged in your lives? Probably more than the number of stars there are in the night sky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Neil! I have had one piece of Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte already, made by O.K.‘s mother.
      I have never thought about the number of words exchanged with my sister over the 54 years we have known each other, but yes, there were and are LOTS!

      Delete
  6. Enjoy. Sometimes lack of wifi can be a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is their philosophy at the hotel. We really don‘t mind either way - all our other holidays have been in hotels with wifi, and that never stopped us from enjoying our time there, going out for walks and hikes every day. Neither of us takes work along, for instance.

      Delete
  7. Driving deeper into the Black Forest is an enchanting adventure.
    I enjoyed your post from 2017 and I like the image of a quiet place where fox and hare say goodnight to each other. Especially if there are green hills nearby.
    I have always wanted to read a novel with no conflict, at least not the kind of conflict that threatens anyone's peace of mind for long.
    Your blog is like that. Happiness distilled. White magic. Heaven on earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True; I have never aimed at starting controversial discussions with my blog topics. Mostly, my blog is a kind of diary, and although it may not appear so, there is still quite a lot of stuff going on in my life and in my mind that I never blog about. But with what I do reveal about myself and my world, readers are able to get to know me rather well.

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you and your sister had such beautiful weather and scenery on your walk. And I am thinking of you and OK enjoying your mobile-free stay. I have been appreciating having no mobile signal from time to time recently as we have been exploring in the countryside and it really is restful, isn't it? I think you will be okay in a large beer tent assuming you have been fully vaxxed and boosted. (I am sure you will not rely on my opinion too much, but I hope that it will be proved to be correct)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those two days with many many people at almost no distance were unusual, but we are still feeling fine. We have both been fully vaxxed and boostered for about half a year (my booster was in December), but unfortunately, many people we know personally have caught Covid nonetheless, some even twice. Still, we hope to have gotten away with it.
      Mobile signal would be nice to exchange messages with our loved ones at home, check the weather forecast before heading out for a hike, look up bus times and so on. But we have managed well without before, and will do so again 😊

      Delete