Monday 9 July 2012

Read in 2012 - 17: Women & Money

My reading habits include switching between fiction and non-fiction books; often, after I have read (and really enjoyed) a novel, I yearn for different reading material to give my mind something to do, and while I know it takes skill and is an art to capture the reader's mind with a good story and well laid-out characters, I think it is even more difficult to write non-fiction that is both entertaining and informative.

Suze Orman's book "Women & Money" aims not only at being informative, but inspirational. And that inspiration is supposed not only to reflect on the financial part of one's life, but on everything; the subtitle "Owning the Power to Control Your Destiny" gives you an idea of what the author has in mind.
It was, you guessed it, another free e-book from the Amazon Kindle shop, but that should not fool anyone into thinking it is worthless - quite the contrary. I believe that a lot of people will find Miss Orman's advice very, very useful, myself included (although I must take away one of the two "verys", since a lot of the information does not apply outside the US, which is of course not the author's fault; she had clearly directed her book at women in the US, and so it is "my fault" that I have read a book only partly meant for me).

"Women & Money" starts off by examining why women often find it so difficult to have a healthy relationship with money - their money -, or simply are not interested in financial matters at all.
The book then sets off to explain what can and should be done to remedy the situation, and at the same time as money and how one deals with it becomes a natural part of one's life, that person's life gains power.

This does NOT mean that women (or men) should be steely-eyed cold-blooded characters whose only interest is money, money, and more money. In fact, quite the opposite. The author teaches her readers how taking control of one's own financial affairs means one can better reflect qualities such as courage, generosity, harmony, balance, wisdom, cleanliness (yes, that is part of dealing with one's own financial matters, too), and even beauty.
Sounds a bit unlikely? Well, it is not; all points in this book are presented in a logical way that is easy to understand.


While I skipped the chapters that are dealing with US-specific topics such as FICO scores, IRAs and 401(k) plans, I liked the way the whole book is set up in the shape of a 5-month-action plan to set the financial part of one's life straight. Miss Orman does at no point promise eternal wealth by some obscure scheme, but she gives clear directions towards financial security. There are check lists at the end of each chapter, and in the introduction of each chapter she talks about what this particular chapter will help you with. Also, there are many references to the author's website, where one can find useful calculating tools, more check lists, detailed tips on how to keep daily spending in check, and so on.


Yes, there is quite a lot of pep talk, but it is well put and probably necessary.
It inspired me to tackle a few issues, too - for instance, already earlier this year, I wanted to speak to my boss about a raise (I have completed my first year with the company in May), and after reading "Women & Money", I have a much clearer idea of what I am going to say, and am more determined to really have this conversation. And soon!


After this interesting excursion into the world of finances, I am very much looking forward to reading Frances Garrood's new book.

9 comments:

  1. Oh, that's interesting. I might get it if it is free (although I am just reading some books on economics at the moment). I am usually bored with paperwork of all kinds which includes money. I get so bored and fed up even switching my money around into different accounts to get better interest, but I know I should know more about it.

    I too switch between fiction and non fiction . There is not enough time! !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, I found it for free in the US Kindle shop on Amazon.com, not on .co.uk. But maybe you can find it for free there, too.

      Delete
  2. To deal with your money you must first have (earn) some. To be able to ask for a raise you must have a job. The best advice for women is to earn their own money and keep control of it.

    Sadly, too many women still don't have either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's sad but true, Friko. I am glad to say that I have, ever since I was 18, worked and - after completing Librarian School - earned enough to take care of myself, without depending on any man. It served me well whem my first marriage ended in divorce and the second one with my husband's death.

      Delete
  3. Suze Orman is good but my favorite book on this topic is All Your Worth: The Ultimate Lifetime Money Plan by Elizabeth Warren and Amelia Warren Tyagi. It's excellent for women and men too. Elizabeth Warren is very practical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, it is the first book about money I have ever read. Usually, I am very careful about dividing any topic into a "typical male" and "typical female" approach, and I'd say that the advice Suze Orman gives here is just as good for men as it is for women.

      Delete
  4. I read this book a couple of years ago. It's interesting isn't it, for Suze Orman to make a connection between cleaning up your closets and your relationships with the bottom line on your check book? As the comedians say, "Who knew?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I liked the fact that she made this connection (and some others, too) - when you think about it, it is quite logical. Someone who hasn't got a grip on something as simple as the contents of their own wardrobe probably has difficulties in other areas of his or her life, too.

      Delete