Tuesday 10 March 2015

A Saturday Walk - Part II

In my previous post, I mentioned that I was going to show you pictures from Poppenweiler in a separate post. Here they are:

Approaching the centre of Poppenweiler, with the church and some picturesque old houses:

Getting closer:

Along the way:

Town Hall:



I found this doorway rather unusual and beautiful. My first guess was that this was done in the 1920s (the house itself being much older, of course), but my sister suggested it could even be older, it has a definite Art Deco look about it.

Next to the church.

The church itself - being Protestant - was closed. That is, by the way, something I've never understood: Why are Catholic churches nearly always open, and the Protestant ones nearly always closed? Anyway. This one was started many centuries ago, long before the tower was erected in 1428. The way the building looks today is much as it was enlarged and renovated in 1601. Unfortunately, space around the church is so limited that I could not get far away enough to take a proper picture of the whole thing.




Soon, we were on our way back. It was an interesting excursion to a place I don't really know, in spite of it being so close to home. Poppenweiler is much, much older than Ludwigsburg; its first mention on a charter dates back to the year 1122 (while Ludwigsburg was only founded in 1704). The village became part of Ludwigsburg (administratively speaking) only in 1975.
Wikipedia even tells me something about its funny name: Boppo was a male first name in medieaval times, and Weiler simply is a different term for village, hamlet, settlement. So, this was Boppo's village to begin with.

Next up will be something about what I did on Sunday - watch this space!

12 comments:

  1. More wonderful pictures...I love seeing sights from your walks. If I had to pick a favorite here it might be the archway. I love such pictures, they seem to lead to a mystery ahead. Do you think this was part of an old city wall?
    A sad reflection is that where I live Catholic churches used to be open all the time, but now are not. I think it is a fear of crime. It makes me very sad even though I no longer consider myself Catholic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wall is just around the immediate area of the church, and it's a rather steep hill, so my guess is that it was originally built to keep the soil together and form a boundary around the church yard. That archway looks quite romantic and nice in the picture, doesn't it!

      Delete
  2. What marvelous buildings! Of course, old buildings from the 1700s are not found in Indiana; it's too far from the coast where the first settlers landed. Our Catholic church has a side door open all day for those who want to stop and pray within the church itself. I'm not sure about the one that's located in the inner city. Now I am curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do understand that those who are responsible for a church (the building and its contents) worry about vandalism and thieves, but it is a shame nonetheless that one can not simply go inside whenever one feels like it. Good job prayer is not limited to a certain time or location!

      Delete
  3. Loved this tour of Poppenweiler. What a charming old village. I do love quaint old doors and windows! :) Maybe the Catholic church simply has more money still, compared to the protestant ones. Here in Sweden (Protestant since the 1500s) it used to be the Lutheran state churches that were often open while the smaller "free" churches and chapels rarely were (and still aren't, except when a service is going on). Since the Church of Sweden was also separated from the state in 2000 (and fewer members paying taxes to the church), not many of those are kept open either. Here in town, the two biggest churches are kept open certain hours in the daytime, but not full time. In the countryside, certain churches especially attractive for tourists may be open part time in the summer, but usually only during the main holiday weeks. I don't think many churches can afford full time church wardens any more. And in our time churches can't be left unguarded any more than a museum or other public buildings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's a real shame, isn't it.
      I'd not thought of the money side of things, to be honest, but your explanation makes sense.
      Also, I had no idea that there was something like a stately Church of Sweden - so, thank you for explaining this, Monica!

      Delete
  4. It's so interesting seeing what your local towns and villages look like - the architecture is wonderful, so different to ours! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is very different to my hometown (Ludwigsburg), too, since it is so much older. In my town, it's all straight lines and symmetry, something architects in the 1700s were obsessed with :-)

      Delete
  5. I, too, love your walks but then you already know that. One thing you didn't show but which I find fascinating in old towns and villages is the village centre with its shops and so on. One of the things that attracts me to French villages is that so many of them still have a centre with its café and boulangerie etc. So far as churches are concerned I'm afraid that what Monica says applies here in the UK as well and, unfortunately, even in parts of New Zealand although less so there. Having said that when Pauline and I did our safaris round Northland and visited many churches the Roman Catholic ones were usually open.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We never made it to the actual village centre with shops and so on. There are probably a bakery, a butcher's, a (small?) supermarket and a café or two, but we never saw it.
      Yes, French villages seem to really still revolve around their centre, where people meet for a chat and possibly a drink, or a game of boule.

      Delete
  6. I like your posts showing old churches and other buildings, and village and country scenes too. The church I am a member of is locked unless it is in use, for security reasons. The church is used so often that it is often open, with groups for men, young adults, people in recovery, a grief group, Bible study groups, groups for young moms and lots more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like my posts, Terra - I like writing them, too, and find myself thinking of my blog when I'm out with my camera :-)
      I am sure that church is open for various occasions, too. It is just a pity that one can not simply walk in any time.

      Delete