Monday 16 March 2015

Sure Signs

As soon as I typed this post's headline, I felt that I'd used it before. A quick search on my blog showed me I was right - I did a "Sure Signs" post here, in November 2013. That time, of course the "sure signs" were about Christmas approaching. Now, it's about spring in general, and Easter in particular.

I suppose I am not much different in my eating habits from many other people who go for food a little on the heavier side in the colder season, and long for fresh greens when spring arrives. Here is an example of a typical mid-week TV dinner for me:


Hummus, carrot sticks (sometimes I use other vegetables, depending on what I happen to have) and a leafy mixed salad with tomato and cucumber. I love hummus (as you will know if you have been reading my blog for a while), and this ready-made one is very nice.


Other greens appear in my wardrobe again, now that it is a bit warmer. The sleeves on this top are too short for me to wear it in winter; I often have cold hands and have the habit of pulling jumper sleeves over my hands when I can. Therefore, this top is my choice for the office only when I feel I won't need the comfort and warmth of full-length sleeves.

Yesterday, I decided it is time to get out what little Easter or spring-themed decoration I have. You know I love my clean empty surfaces, but for Christmas and Easter, I allow for a little deco. Here is what I have put up this year:





The best decoration, though, is the one that was to be seen from my kitchen window today:


Blue skies and, clearly visible in the close-up picture, primulas in many different colours! The trees and shrubs are still bare, but it won't be long until the first tender leaves will appear.

Happy spring, everyone!

13 comments:

  1. And a very happy spring to you too. Only a few days to go and then at least the calendar says it’s spring even if the weather (here) doesn’t. I saw on the German news that your temperatures are a little above average. Lucky you.

    Did you call that a heavy meal? You are joking, surely? A heavy meal has potatoes and gravy or bread and cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes - I agree with Friko - that's a summer meal in my book, but then i'm not all willowy and elegant, so I guess that's why! The colder days are drawing in here and the autumn colours appearing. My turn to be jealous of you enjoying the spring!

      Delete
    2. No, no, that was not a heavy meal - that was to illustrate how, after heavy winter meals, I was now all for the lighter stuff, fresh and green.
      Bread and cheese is my staple food all year round, and I love spuds but don't cook when I am on my own.

      Delete
  2. A lovely feeling, isn't it, when Spring comes. Your supper looks very healthy! Have you ever tried making hummus ? it can be delicious and it is quite simple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Jenny, we've been on the subject of hummus before :-)
      This one is so delicious, it could be pass for home made. I am just very lazy in the kitchen, I'm afraid!

      Delete
  3. The view from your window is so wonderful! I have a few snow drops in bloom and the witch hazel tree outside my window, too, has its spicy tattered looking flowers. How spring like your Easter decorations look. I need to find some for my house. I should cut some forsythia branches and see if they will bloom. So eager for life to begin again in Ohio!
    Your lunch looks healthy and delicious but your top doesn't look green in my monitor. It looks dark turquoise. But today "everyone" in the US may be wearing green in honor of St. Patrick's Day. I may too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about the top, it isn't a "green" kind of green, but a shade we call "Petrol" in German. Still, more green than blue :-)
      I'm not a St. Patrick's follower, so my choice of clothes yesterday was determined by other things - and the colour scheme was black and pale pink.

      Delete
  4. I love that white fluffy bunny... still have a soft spot for soft toys, it seems! ;) I've struggled on with my salads over winter but in cold weather I do prefer to add something warm to them as well. I also agree about the 3/4 length sleeves. I never wear them in winter because often I feel need of a cardigan etc on top anyway, and then that length of sleeves underneath is absolutely hopeless...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Monica, it's so uncomfortable to wear 3/4 sleeves underneath a full length cardi or jumper, isn't it! (Such big problems we have, he he)
      The white fluffy bunny is precious to me. All year, it lives on the top shelf of my computer desk. It was a gift from my late husband.

      Delete
  5. Ok, what you call a dinner, I would call a snack or maybe lunch if I was being careful with what I ate... ;-) Not wonder you're so slim! But I agree, I crave much fresher, greener food as soon as the weather warms up. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you don't know how much chocolate I had afterwards :-D That certainly made up for a three-course meal, calory-wise. But hey, who's counting? Not me, that's for sure!

      Delete
  6. I love the view from your window, but for some reason, I can't see your photos on this post! Oh well, I do know your window view, so I can imagine the blue skies and primulas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe something with your browser? Ad block going mad? Sometimes it may also be due to blogger's own servers. Yes, you know that view rather well :-)

      Delete