Monday 21 December 2015

Trees

Some of you already know that I usually start my mornings (no matter whether it is a work day or weekend, work at the office or from home) with a mug of strong, sweet, black coffee and reading your blogs. Today, the first one at the top of my dashboard was Monica's blog but it was this post by Neil who made me finally put up two pictures I've had on my phone for a while.

My phone is the 1st generation iphone, bought in 2009. Its camera is not the best, and so I only use it when I come across something I want to remember or show someone, and haven't brought my "proper" camera with me.

This picture of a lime or linden tree has been sitting on my phone since the 1st of August. I'm afraid the photo hardly does the real tree justice - it was immense, and of course neither the sweet scent of its blossoms nor the sound of what must have been thousands of buzzing bees can be transported this way; you'll have to rely on your imagination for it:


We've been having a sunny and mild December so far, with very little (too little) rain. Most weekends, we went on walks, and I didn't always have my camera with me. This was the case on the 6th of this month, when we came across this tree:



I wonder how it came about to be decorated (it is not in anyone's garden and not very close to any houses). Did one person start it off, and others saw the first few baubles on the tree, went home to fetch some of their own and added to it? Or did a group from a kindergarden or school decide to go on a walk and find a tree to decorate on the fields? 
We've not been back to this particular corner yet, but it would be intresting to see whether there is more on the tree now (or less - I hope not!).

Anyway, now you know why Yorkshire Pudding's blog reminded me to post these pictures.

16 comments:

  1. I love the idea of the tree growing baubles. You must go again soon and let us know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really should go and have another look, hoping that nobody will have taken down (or nicked) the baubles until I have time for another walk in that direction.

      Delete
  2. I love trees! Our yard is nearly two acres and already had many trees when we moved here in 1980 and then I planted trees that are in Hungarian poems so my children would know them, so we have Lindens, Acacia, Horse Chestnut, and a gingko because my mother in law remembered the one from her childhood home. And what treasures they all are.

    What a lovely idea to have a tree decorated for Christmas (I'm assuming) by many different people who each wished to contribute to this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Mum is particularly fond of gingko. There is a very beautiful one in the palace grounds, maybe next spring/summer I can take a good picture of it and post it here for you, Kristi.

      It is nice to imagine that different people from the area have decided to put something on the tree.

      Delete
  3. I can't resist.
    I had to use imagination to see the tree. I'm used to trees so not to worry. Have a great Christmas and you are streets ahead of me my camera takes pictures but it keeps them to itself. Never got one from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My camera is rather obliging when I politely ask it to hand over its pictures. Having the right cable to connect it to my computer does help, of course. My phone is lot more reluctant and sometimes keeps pictures to itself for a long time before it lets me have them.
      Good to know you have no trouble imagining trees.
      Have a great Christmas, too, with your (imaginary?) Christmas tree!

      Delete
  4. This random tree decorating is clearly one of those trending fads. I shall check out my neighbourhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure whether it will take off to the levels of a fad over here; so far, this was the only such tree I've come across in my area, and I really have been on numerous walks and runs.
      Let me know if you see any in your neighbourhood!

      Delete
  5. I love the idea of decorating trees outside foe the holidays. There is a church down the street from my house where the children hang pine cones coated with peanut butter and birdseed from a crabapple tree at Christmas. They hang them with red and green yarn. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a good idea, and I am sure is much appreciated by the local birds :-)

      Delete
  6. How funny, I just looked up something about a linden tree...and then learned it is called a lime tree in England. I wonder why I looked it up, something in reference to a song or poem but I can't remember what it was, something about the seeds? Oh dear, I wish I could remember.
    I like the decorated tree. I like the idea of children doing that, let us know if you find out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, I don't know how I could possibly find out - it's not in my immediate neighbourhood, so I can't ask any of the people who live next door or on the same street. But if I do find out, I'll let you know!
      By the way, the linden or lime tree is called Linde in German :-)

      Delete
  7. Your linden tree reminds me of walking down Unter den Linden in the then DDR many years ago. In New Zealand there are very many jacaranda trees which are often in avenues and have wonderful displays of blossom too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to rmemeber having seen pictures of Jacaranda trees on your NZ blog. Maybe we'll see some more when you're there next year?

      Delete
  8. Certainly want to hear about the progress on this curiously wonderful Christmas tree. Perhaps it's made the press? Are there still lime trees on the Unter den Linden? But, mostly, Meike - Frohe Weihnachten und ein gutes Neues Jahr to you too - and thank you for your posts and for popping over to A Bit About Britain as you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, I have not discovered anything about it in the local paper.
      As for Unter den Linden, I've only been to Berlin once, in 2005, and from what I remember, we didn't go to Unter den Linden.
      Thank you, Mike!

      Delete