Thursday 10 December 2015

Sunrise, Socks and Sartorial Snapshots

Those of you who have been reading my blog for a while already know that my Mum calls herself a sock-knitting maniac, and that she sells her socks not only at small local markets (such as here and here, but also runs her own Etsy shop. If you want a pair of hand-knitted, warm and comfortable socks for yourself or as a present for someone, they are just one click away in the left sidebar of my blog. It's still early enough to get them to you in time for Christmas.

We did sell at the Advent market again this year:


10 % of all takings are given to a charity project the city of Ludwigsburg runs in a town in Burkina Faso. We stocked up our takings with personal donations and hope the money will be used well.

Part of the fun of having a table at this market is that we always meet people we know: former colleagues, neighbours, and other acquaintances. 

- - -

Usually, I am not a particularly early riser, and so it is only at this time of year that I get to see a sunrise. This was the view from my kitchen window a few days ago:


When it comes to clothes, this "winter" has not yet meant much of a change for me. The heavy woolly stuff was not necessary yet, and the other day I was able to wear an outfit I didn't expect to get out of my wardrobe again until next March or so:


For the office, it is still very much blouse-time and no need yet for jumpers. I found this dark green one and the one with the rabbits print at H&M two weeks ago and have worn them to work (not with the shorts though - they would be out of place at the office) already:



It is frosty today, though, and so I think something warmer is in order now.  

PS: Forgot to mention that I've added the solution to question # 3 in a comment to my "Puzzles and Riddles" post (two posts back). 

21 comments:

  1. You are so tall and slim! How I envy you that! I'm somewhat tall but I've never been slim!

    I wish I lived nearby so I could ask your mom for help knitting socks. The few times I've tried things get weird after I turn the heel. I haven't knitted a wearable sock yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Mum hardly has to look at her hands when knitting socks, I suspect. She has really gone into mass production over the past years!

      Being tall certainly has its advantages! For instance, sometimes I am asked in supermarkets by little old ladies to fetch them something from the top shelf :-)

      Delete
    2. Bless you. I frequently have to ask for help getting things off the top shelf.

      Delete
    3. I'd happily get anything you'd need off top shelves for you, Jill.

      Delete
  2. Good on your mum. It can be fun selling at a stall and talking to all the people who come up. Her socks for me are still going strong and very pretty. When they finally develop holes I might darn them but will then get another pair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are still happy with your socks, Jenny! Just let us know when you need new ones (or a pair for someone else), and they'll be on their way.

      Delete
  3. You can big it up as much as you want but there is no way I shall wear a rabbit print blouse - nor those shorts even though my legs are much slimmer and shapelier than yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I think a rabbit print shirt and tweedy shorts would make the perfect hiking look for you along with your new boots. You'd probably start a new trend among ramblers and hikers.

      Delete
  4. Great job with the charity project donations, well done to your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the rabbits pattern, even if I'm not sure I'd be bold enough to wear it myself. Besides, in spite of unusually mild December weather here too, I'm nearly always wearing double layers of clothes (jumpers etc) anyway, even at home. And often a shawl or blanket on top of that if I'm sitting still watching TV...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I'm sitting still at home, I nearly always have a blanket wrapped around me, too. But when it comes to layers of fabric, I am happier the less I need, which is why summer is my favourite season.

      Delete
  6. Love the photo of your Mum with her socks! And anyone reading this, I can tell you that her socks are the BEST!
    And Meike, I love the blouse, that dark green is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Kay! The photo with my Mum is not the best quality, I'm afraid, but maybe you can tell that she is knitting right there and then. "The artist at work", so to speak :-)
      The dark green was the reason why I bought that blouse. I do feel I have not enough green items in my wardrobe ;-) (that excuse is as good as any...)

      Delete
  7. I love all the socks I have from your Mom....And it's that time of year to wear them again. Beautiful sunrise and honestly, Meike, you should be a model...You always show the clothes off to their best......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kristi! You definitely are my Mum's Platinum Customer!
      I am way too old to be a model, not slim enough and not tall enough. In a bit more than 2 years I'll be 50; models are sadly expected to look like stick insects and to be at least 1,80 m tall (I'm 1,74). I'd do it just for fun, though, if someone wanted to book me for a "Senior Citizens Fashion Show" or so ;-)

      Delete
  8. After the terrible summer/autumn we've had I do not have a single beautiful sunrise photo to show so sharing yours is most welcome. The rabbit blouse is fun (but you know that anyway). Like you I prefer to wear fewer clothes rather than more clothes but, unfortunately,I feel the cold very much and despite keeping my house very warm (and therefore being environmentally unfriendly) I still have to wear more than I ever would in a New Zealand summer. Like YP I can claim shapely legs but, unfortunately, they are the wrong shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cold affect me quite a lot, too, which means I have to wear layers when going out in this kind of weather. The good thing about layers is also that I can take some off at the office, where my desk chair is right next to the heating.
      Is there such a thing as the "wrong" shape in legs, I wonder? As long as they do their job...

      Delete
    2. That's the problem Meike. My right leg doesn't do its job properly and the knee has become rather enlarged with arthritis. It's due for replacement soon.

      Delete
  9. Been meaning to tell you, I like your hair this length. It is very becoming to you. Also, I like the green blouse very much, green being my favorite color. AND, those shorts, in fact that whole outfit, is just GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jill! I am torn between wanting my hair shorter again and liking it the way it is now. Maybe in the spring I'll have it cut.
      Green is a great colour that often gets underestimated. My favourite is still yellow, but I'm not much into it at this time of year.

      Delete