Wednesday 3 April 2019

Yorkshire Holiday 2019 - Family Reunion

Saturday, the 23rd of March, is quickly told, and there is only one picture I can show you from that day. My sister-in-law drove us ("us" being my sister, my brother-in-law, herself and myself) to Derbyshire, where my other sister-in-law lives.

She had organised a family gathering and booked a table for us at The Crispin Inn in Ashover. Once we left the motorway, we enjoyed looking at the beautiful Derbyshire countryside; again, daffodils everywhere and hedgerows dotted with white blossoms, lambs on the fields and ducks on the village ponds.

The Crispin Inn is in a very old building with thick stone walls, fire places, low ceilings and oak beams. The service was friendly and the food really nice, but the room was rather cold at first, so most of us left their coats and jackets on for good part of the meal.


For coffees/teas and cakes, we were invited back to my sister-in-law's. She and her family live in a nearby town. I wish I could show you pictures of their pretty house and garden - most of all of the gorgeous kitchen! It is in a newly built annex (done last year) with a large skylight, and at the same time stylish and cosy.

Altogether, there were 10 of us - some couldn't make it to the gathering for health reasons or because they were working, at uni or travelling elsewhere. It was great to see them all again! 

Here is a picture O.K. sent me from the same day - this was the view from his living room into his neighbours' garden:

12 comments:

  1. What a beautiful blooming tree! That meal with the company sounds delightful. I made your photo bigger and was rewarded by the sight of the blue door! Oh me, I am thinking I need to get myself to England. Wish I could see Yorkshire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd love it, Mary, I am sure of that! The blue door was in Derbyshire, but that building could have just as well been in Yorkshire.
      The tree is a favourite of mine in spring, I showed a photo of it on my blog last year, too.

      Delete
  2. Crispin Inn looked interesting, shame it was cold! Speaking of which, third day for the heating/cooling system installation here and they should wrap things up around noon, thank goodness! They have been lovely workers, no trouble. Yesterday was such a miserable cold, wet day and I felt bad for them as they had to be outside or under the house, but they didn't complain - youth on their side I guess!

    Glad you had a reunion with your English family - lovely that you all keep in touch annually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The room warmed up a bit as time went on, and we had hot foot do warm us from the inside, too.
      Glad your house installation works are making good progress - probably all done and dusted by the time you'll read this!
      We do try and keep in touch throughout the year, using all means of communication such as text messages, email, phone and cards for birthdays and at Christmas, but nothing can replace meeting up.

      Delete
  3. I wonder why the Crispin Inn hadn't turned on their heating? We have had wintry showers on and off here all day today - sleet and hail and very cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were folks outside the inn in just t-shirts who obviously did not feel the cold at all! We asked the waitress to do something about the chill in our room, and she said they had been leaving the back door open for fresh air just shortly before we arrived.
      We're expecting a sharp dip in temperatures here for tomorrow, too, with a maximum of only 7C - as opposed to the 20 we had on Monday!

      Delete
  4. I don't know whether my last comment reached you before the internet went off. I think family get togethers are among my favourite things, and I'm glad you've continued staying connected so strongly. I think I might have asked the Crispin Inn to turn the heating up if it had been me, and if I had been them I might have taken the hint that you were all wearing coats! But, sounds like it was a good time anyhow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No other comment than this one got through, Jenny - thank you for having tried again!
      We did talk to the waitress about the cold, see my reply to JayCee above.
      Yes, it was a good time, and it does mean a lot to all of us to remain in touch.

      Delete
  5. The blossom trees are wonderful everywhere this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are! My cherry tree has showed its first blossoms yesterday, but other trees in the neighbourhood are already in full bloom, and some magnolia trees are already past it.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful blooming tree! Oh, family reunions are such a joy. So nice of your sil to arrange this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was also very kind of her to have us all back at her place afterwards.

      Delete