Friday 5 April 2019

Yorkshire Holiday 2019 - Studley Royal

The title of this post is slightly misleading, as there is only one real picture of Studley Royal, the beautiful Georgian water garden adjacent to Fountains Abbey. Actually, there is no visible border between the two; you simply walk on from the impressive ruins of the abbey, along the river and through parkland, until you reach the ponds and temples of Studley. As it was so cold and windy, we did not stop to take many pictures; this is the only one that I liked enough, taken from a vantage point overlooking the river bend leading towards the Moon Ponds:


You can find many more pictures if you type "Studley Royal" in the search box of this blog.

The parkland is a deer park, too, but this time, we did not see one single animal. But I did admire the still leafless trees, showing their shape as beautiful silhouettes. Aren't trees one of Nature's greatest inventions?



By the time we reached the outskirts of Ripon, the sun was out again and the wind calmed down, but it was still cold.


After a brief warm-up with a steaming ,mug of coffee in front of the fire place at our cottage, I set off again to visit Mary. We chatted for a while, and I left there just in time to walk home before it got dark. Approaching the Cathedral from Mary's direction, it looked like this:


Walking on towards the cottage, and coming round the building, the front looked so beautiful bathed in golden evening light I could not resist to take another picture:


Back home, we drew the curtains and had our tea (or dinner, depending on where you're from).
Birthday presents
You know where the inspiration for my choice of wallpaper at home came from!
In spite of having made a bit of an unfortunate choice of day for our walk, it had been a good day.

15 comments:

  1. I love that photo of the cathedral glowing in the late evening sun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I also love trees in all seasons but many people do not like to see the trees bare, but I agree with you, I love to see them outlined like that, it makes me want to paint them, as if I were an artist!
    I also love that golden evening light on the cathedral.
    Hope you had a happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, I wish I could paint or draw when I see such beauty around me, and I think the biggest challenge would be to catch the light, as in the photo of the cathedral.

      Delete
  3. Bare trees silhouetted against the sky can be very dramatic. When I looked at the tablecloth in your first post about your Yorkshire journey this year I felt it had a feeling of the wallpaper you used when you redid your apartment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was more the curtains that inspired me in my choice of wallpaper, but the tablecloth is also very pretty.

      Delete
  4. I can’t see snow? was there no snow in Yorkshire? My hills were covered and it was bitterly cold.
    Today it has turned a lot milder and the sun’s been out.
    That particular part of Yorkshire is so beautiful, I am not surprised you revisit annually.
    Geburtstagswünsche im Nachhinein.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some nights would have probably been cold enough for snow, and I think there was some further up in the dales, but not in the Ripon area. Yes, North Yorkshire is beautiful. Ripon sits at the entrance to Nidderdale, which has been declared an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty a few years ago.

      Delete
  5. PS: I heartily dislike Varoufakis too. He knows everything and everything he knows is the only true interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Up until reading his book, I did not know enough about him and his way of thinking to say I like or dislike him. Now I can say I definitely disliked the book.
      Vielen Dank für die Glückwünsche!

      Delete
  6. I have heard of Studley Royal, but when I visited Fountains abbey last, many years ago, I was sadly ignorant and do not think I visited them. I have read a little bit about their history since, and the gardens sound so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are beautiful, no matter the time of year or weather, Jenny. If you ever get the chance to go up to the Ripon area again, you really should go and walk around the entire combined Fountains Abbey / Studley Royal estate.

      Delete
  7. The single tree against the sky in the third picture reminds me of a painting by ? The name temporarily escapes me. I saw the picture in the Museum of Modern Art in Berlin years ago and it stuck with me. I had a large print on my office wall for years. I'll come back with the name when I remember it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caspar David Friedrich (I think I've spelt that correctly).

      Delete
    2. You did, Graham! I am surprised that Friedrich's paintings would be considered Modern Art. There was a time when I was very "into" his work. His handling of light and colours in land- and seascapes was impressive.

      Delete