Wednesday 10 April 2019

Yorkshire Holiday 2019 - Markenfield

Wednesday, the 27th of March, held a big surprise for me in store. My sister had already been hinting at a mystery; she said there was something planned for that day but what it actually was would be a secret until we were there. I asked her how I should dress and she told me that I could dress nicely (without overdoing it) but comfortably. So I knew it was neither going to be a posh meal nor a hike. I did have an idea of what it was going to be, and my suspicion was confirmed when my sister-in-law and niece came to pick us up by car, driving along the road that leads out from Ripon towards Harrogate and then on to a narrow lane, turning into a farm track, to Markenfield.

Back in July 2017, we had come across it on a walk and found it completely enchanting - a place we definitely wanted to return to on one of its open days. Now I did not expect it to be open this time of year, or on a Wednesday, but...
...my sister had arranged a private tour for just the four of us as a birthday surprise for me!!!

Isn't that fantastic? But there was more to come!

First, we met with Dr. Keith Jones outside Markenfield Hall on the parking space. He was to be our guide, and explained a bit about the historical background of the Hall before we were to go inside. A black cat (well known to Dr. Jones) came up and stayed with us for a little before it lost interest and wandered off.




The black swans are a familiar feature of Markenfield Hall - there is always a pair living on the moat. Sadly, Mrs. Black-Swan died some time ago, but the bereaved widower has now a new wife, and they are breeding! She was on the nest (not in the picture) when we were there, with her husband making sure nobody would get too close.



Across the moat (you can see the sign clearly saying "CLOSED" - but not for us!) and through the gatehouse...

...we entered the courtyard. Here, once more Dr. Jones stopped to explain about the surrounding buildings, and then we went to the main door and entered the hall...

...to find a birthday cake and tea/coffee for the five of us (including Dr. Jones) waiting for us by the fire place!!
It was overwhelming, something I really had not expected, and I must admit I was welling up a little.
The cake was delicious, the hot drinks welcome, and all the time Dr. Jones kept us entertained and interested with more about Markenfield and its residents.




After everyone was full and warm, we continued our tour indoors. This vaulted room can be booked for weddings:

Up a beautiful wooden staircase and into what is the main reception / living area of Markenfield Hall:


Concerts and other events are occasionally held there, but it is also very much the living room of the family who live here. The books are not just decorative - they are the personal collection of the current owner, and have all been read.

The chapel was next. It is still in use, and Markenfield is one of the smallest parishes in England, consisting of six people at the moment.

There was another room for us to see, but it is a bedroom (in use when guests are staying with the owners) and therefore, photography was not allowed. Rest assured, though, that it was a beautiful room, with its own en-suite bath room.

Back into the Great Hall, where I had a closer look at this impressive trunk. Dr. Jones said it is Portuguese. I wonder what treasures it once held - or still holds!


This was, as I said, a great surprise and a wonderful day. My sister-in-law drove us all back to Ripon, where we spent another pleasant hour or two over more hot drinks and biscuits.

Have a look at Markenfield Hall in the summer on my 2017 post; you will also find links there to Markenfield's own blog and website.

Thank you, dear sister, for this wonderful birthday gift! My thanks also go to Sarah, the friendly administrator who arranged everything so kindly for us, Dr. Jones for sharing his great knowledge about the place with us, and of course my sister-in-law and niece for taking us there and coming with us.

18 comments:

  1. What a wonderful treat and lovely place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how wonderful. You are very lucky to have such a loving family who obviously know how to treat you well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how lucky I am, and it makes me very grateful - definitely something to be taken for granted.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely birthday surprise! Your family is so good to you. You are lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for such wonderful comments - we are so glad that you enjoyed your morning so much and hope to see you all again very soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome - and thanks goes to you, also for taking the time to read and comment here!

      Delete
  5. What a lovely and interesting birthday surprise! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That truly was a perfect birthday present for you! What a thoughtful thing for your sister to do. Oh! And I see that the folks at Markenfield Hall left a comment too, I love that!
    Just wish I could see it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great, Kay!
      We hope to return, maybe for an Open Day, on our next Yorkshire Holiday.

      Delete
  7. How fabulous - you will always remember this year's birthday with warm thoughts and the kindness of your sister to arrange such a fabulous surprise in a beautiful place. Again, many happy returns Meike - may this year be a special one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary! It has truly been special, and rather good so far - much, much better than last year with all those health issues, especially my Dad's.

      Delete
  8. How lovely. I shall look it up right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The website has a list of their open days and other events, so you could plan your visit accordingly.

      Delete
  9. Well that was as good a birthday surprise as anyone could think of in my book.

    ReplyDelete