Tuesday 16 April 2019

Yorkshire Holiday 2019 - Last Day and Going Home

On our last day, Saturday the 30th of March, we had a special event to attend: The Spring Food Home & Garden Show at the cathedral.
I had read about it beforehand on the cathedral's website and penned it in my diary, and since my sister was just as interested in going as I was, we made that our good-bye treat for our last day.

After breakfast, we walked to the cathedral in the morning sunshine, paid our admission fee and had a first look round. It was busy without feeling stressful, and we decided to buy our lunch there but eat it at home, on the sunny bench in front of the cottage. Also, we wanted to carry home the gifts (for our loved ones at home as well as for ourselves) we had purchased and not be weighed down by many bags.





Early in the afternoon, my sister-in-law joined us, and we went back to the show with her. She, too, had a good look round, and more purchases were made. We wrapped up the afternoon by having tea and cakes in the cathedral.

Later, we went to Mary's to say good-bye to her, and on the way back bought fish & chips for our last tea/dinner in Yorkshire.

My room at the cottage in the early afternoon sun. Even though it is very different from my bedroom at home, it very much feels like "my" room.
The next day, Sunday the 31st, my sister-in-law picked us up just after 9:00 in the morning. We had already packed and dropped off the keys with our landlady. At the station in Harrogate, we had enough time to buy something to eat for the train; it was going to be a long day.


My sister took these pictures of me at various stages of our trip, with me being unaware
Everything went well, all trains were punctual, and our departing trip took even an hour less than arriving: 8 hours instead of 9, almost to the minute! We got off the plane in Stuttgart to a mild 20 Celsius. It was back to work the next day, so I was glad that I arrived at my flat in the early evening.

New pillow cases, bought at the Food Home and Garden Show
It had been a wonderful holiday, with Yorkshire and our family and friends being as lovely as ever.

14 comments:

  1. I will make sure that The Yorkshire Tourism Authority forward your annual cheque for services rendered. This year's trip appears to have been especially delightful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, with my birthday surprises and all that. Also, the longer wait than usual for our holiday made us probably even more appreciative than usual.

      Delete
  2. Ah, a wonderful end to this very special holiday! I love those pillow cases. I share your love of foxes and also rabbits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you using a wrapping paper with foxes on it for birthday gifts for your granddaughers!
      The pillow case with the rabbit will be used until after Easter, then I'll put the one with the foxes on that pillow.

      Delete
  3. Glad you had a lovely time - and yes, I agree with you it is a wonderful county.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you as someone who lives there and sees it all the time also enjoys and appreciates it so much.

      Delete
  4. What a nice "second home" you have in Yorkshire! I know how much you enjoy your annual visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back home and thank you for the lovely trip to Yorkshire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jill, and you are very welcome.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad that you enjoyed yourselves and arrived back safe and sound. Now that I've caught up I'm happy too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to catch up with my blog. I must admit I have not managed to read each and every post that was published during my absence on the blogs I follow.

      Delete
  7. You know, I am tired and hungry just now so that photo of the nice bed and the thought of eating fish & chips...well, you can see why that stood out for me! Wish I could have gone to that Home and Garden show, that is something ELSE that my Dad would have liked also! Did you know that he used to love to go to yard and garage sales? Besides being a great cook, he had a good eye for beauty. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you have inherited that from him, too!
      It would have been great fun having you come to the show with us, and I would have shared my fish & chips with you :-)
      xx

      Delete