Wednesday 31 August 2022

Almost September!

Without having checked, I think I might have been using this same headline in previous years. I know that for me, somehow the end of August and beginning of September always sets a special marker within the year. It is not necessarily the back-to-school mood that obviously prevails in families with children of school age, or when you work as a teacher or school staff. Neither is the case with me, and more often than not, during my own school days summer holidays did not end at the end of August, but up to two weeks earlier or later. (In Germany, summer holidays are set on a sort of rota for each federal state. They span the entire period from end of June to mid-September, making sure that not all of Germany have their holidays at the same time, in order to avoid total chaos on the motorways etc.)

Anyway, back to topic! It is the last day of August, but it already feels like mid-September. Of course, that is due to the weeks of hot and dry weather we have had, with many trees already shedding their leaves or at least turning brown.

My fourth week back from Yorkshire started with Monday, August 22, working from home - not my home this time, but O.K.'s cottage. I had accompanied him on the drive back to the village on Sunday night, with my little suitcase and my work laptop. It was his sister's birthday on Monday, and since I did not have any appointments that required me to be on site in Ludwigsburg, Marbach or Stuttgart, I came along.

It was a beautiful sunny day, not too hot, so that we could celebrate J's birthday in their garden. There were just the six of us - J and her husband, J's and O.K.'s parents and O.K. and myself. Burgers were grilled, and everyone put together their own burger, with a choice of buns, sauces and toppings. My favourite were the diced onions, caramelised and boiled with port wine. Lovely! One burger was big enough to fill any hungry stomach, but because it all tasted to good, some of us had another half each. There was well chilled rosé wine or beer, and of course plenty of water to drink. I enjoyed the evening very much, and hope J did, too - it was her birthday, after all.

I traveled home on Tuesday morning without a hitch, and after work met an old school friend for a walk in the palace grounds.

On Wednesday, I went to see my parents after work. 

August 24, about 7:30 pm
Thursday was my day to work on-site at one of my clients' offices, where I changed rooms once again. In the almost 10 years I have been working for them, I think I have been moved (not out of my choice, of course) around in the building six times or so. This time is different, though: One lady in the department where I work mostly has retired, and her single office has been empty since July. Her boss is my main contact in the company, and he has arranged for me to move into that office. So, for the first time since I started there, I now have my "own" room! I am still an external consultant, not employed by that company directly, but it feels like being a "proper" employee in many ways.
Sunrise on Friday, 6:23 am

It was very hot and humid on Friday; even not doing anything physically more demanding than cleaning my flat after work, I was wet through. During my lunch break, I ran an errand for my parents and arrived at their place soaked, and it really wasn't that long a walk. Late afternoon, the threatening thunderstorm finally materialised - and most importantly, rain!!! Thunder and lightning were not directly hitting us, and the rain was not torrential; rather the gentle, steady kind we were so looking forward to.

It was raining again when I left the house on Saturday to travel to O.K.'s. The trip was chaotic to say the least, and took me a full four hours instead of the usual two. I was still in time for another birthday celebration, though: O.K.'s Mum had her birthday on Friday, but we went for a family meal at an Italian restaurant with a good beer garden on the Saturday, and afterwards sat on O.K.'s parents' patio with drinks until dark.

The sun was fully back on Sunday. For the 2nd time this year, O.K. got our bikes ready. We cycled to a village about 12 km from O.K.'s where the local riding club was hosting a fĂȘte, complete with show riding and competitions. Maybe you remember that back in July, we were at a wedding? It was the very same friends we were meeting there, and the same riding club. We enjoyed our food and drink and of course chatting with our friends before riding home on our bikes some time mid-afternoon. On the way, we stopped for an ice cream in the village, and after a little rest at home, went for a brief walk to take in the beautiful evening light.

Ice cream on Sunday afternoon





Sunset on Sunday evening - now as early as a quarter past 8!

14 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the endlessness, as only a child can feel, of the long long summer holidays. And yet, I so very fondly remember the early days of September, back to school (I loved school - yes, really). The earthy smell of the dewy mornings as you made your way. The excitement of a new start. Sharpened pencils, notebooks still pristine. Laugh if you must, Meike, September is the same for me to this day. Magic.

    Having said that, I dashed out yesterday evening (30 Aug) on a last minute errant - and what do you know? Dusk had fallen. And it wasn't even nine in the evening yet. Shock. The shortening days creep up on you almost unnoticeable. Till you notice. Still, what are winters for if not to have licence to light candles? Which reminds me: Do you remember, I think it was a late October tradition, "Laterne, Laterne, Sonne, Mond und Sterne. Gehe auf mein Licht ..." walking though the dark of an early evening with a paper lantern on a wooden stick?

    Chestnut greetings,
    U

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, I enjoyed the perceived endlessness of the long summer holidays, and also liked going back to school - usually until the less pleasant facets of school days became more pronounced again. Also like you, I have always loved (and still do) new stationery - pencils, workbooks, notepads and timetables.

      Since I am out nearly every evening after work, I have been observing the shortening of the days and am not surprised at dusk coming early and sunrise coming late. I now need the light on in my Third Room for the first half hour or so; didn't need any lamps on in the mornings for months.

      Laterne-laufen was a firm favourite with me! "Ich geh mit meiner Laterne, und meine Laterne mit mir. Am Himmel leuchten die Sterne, und unten leu-heuchten wir..." Kids still do that nowaydays, but I believe they all use LED lights now, not real candles as we did.

      Delete
  2. I always think of September as the beginning of a new phase. It's just like the caricature of the efficient Germans to rota the summer holidays state by state. Although here, businesses used to do it unofficially town by town - one week all of Leeds would be on holiday, the next week Wakefield, then Dewsbury and so on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Efficient Germans... I have to laugh out loud every time I read that! Look at our trains, our vaccination campaign and our tax system for just a few examples of the opposite of efficiency!
      Yes, the beginning of a new phase. Looks like I am not the only one to feel that way about September.

      Delete
  3. You certainly pack a lot of fun and adventure into your life, Meike! I enjoy reading about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you are not bored to tears by my weekly sum-ups, Ellen. As for the train trip to O.K.'s last Saturday, it was certainly an adventure, but not much fun!

      Delete
  4. Yes I have noticed how the nights have drawn in here - blinds drawn an light on by 8pm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that's you, Pat? Yes, I need the light on round about 8:00 pm now, too.

      Delete
  5. School start here was and still is in the later half of August, and I've always had that special "fresh start" feeling about this time of year as well. Possibly enhanced by my birthday also being at the end of August. The early autumn climate is also really my favourite - still a bit of summer lingering, but no longer much risk of excessive heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see how this time of year is special to you, Monica.
      Similar to late summer/early autumn climate, I like the late spring/early summer days when daylight lasts long enough for a nice long walk after work, birdsong is at its best and you get warm, sunny days with fresh mornings and nights.

      Delete
  6. As an ex-teacher, September is always the start of a new year for me. That ice cream looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good, but I made a mistake in first eating off all the fluffed up cream on top... it made my stomach queasy and I could only eat about half of the ice cream afterwards.

      Delete
  7. I love the sunflowers painted on the industrial looking building! How nice to have your own office!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice, even though I only spend about one day a week (or even less) there at the moment.
      The sunflowers are beautiful, aren‘t they.

      Delete