Sunday 1 October 2023

Austria: Three In One (Sept. 14)

After Wednesday, the rain continued for a little while on Thursday (the 14th of September) morning. It was not going to get any warmer than 20 C (68 F), but the rest of the day was forecast as dry. 

Still, we knew that the rocky and uneven paths leading up and down mountains would be slippery, and therefore dangerous. We wanted to walk nonetheless, and decided on one of the round tours described in a leaflet we had picked up at the hotel.

We ended up walking not one, but three such tours - a total of 15 km, and all of it beautiful and interesting. A short rest in our room followed, then a quick turn in the sauna before dinner and an early bedtime.

Here are the pictures we took that day:

Views from our room at 7:55 that morning.


Starting on the first of three circular walks, just before 11:00.

meadows around Bizau


into the woods


Typical house for the area; not inhabited all year round anymore.

My new friends and I!




View of Bizau with church; elementary school and our hotel to its left.

Walking along the bottom of the valley towards Reuthe, the next village.


Looking back towards Bizau

Church in Reuthe, with Medieval murals dating back to 1420-1450




Back in our room, another view of Kanisfluh

12 comments:

  1. I'm glad the weather cooperated so you could get out for those nice hikes, Meike. Seeing you with those goats made me wonder, do you ever get afraid when you are out hiking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goats don‘t scare me, but I am very wary of cows when the path leads across their pastures. Most of the time, I am fine - just trying to move quickly without appearing hectic or aggressive to them - but I have occasionally made a detour rather than cross their path.

      Delete
  2. Meike I'm interested in your answer to this question. Living, as I do, in a place where nobody walks anywhere, I often wonder if you are frightened or apprehensive at times when alone on your walks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never, Jill; I have been used to walking on my own for decades, and actually enjoy it - especially after work, when I was in meetings and have been talking and listening to people all day. Walking with O.K. is good, too, because we don‘t need to fill the quietness in the woods with non-stop conversation all the time.

      Delete
    2. I'm delighted to go along with you on your many wonderful walks in your beautiful part of Germany. I look forward to every adventure and enjoy your comments as we go along. Also, I'm happy you don't have to worry about crazed individuals popping out of the bushes or wild animals stalking you. It is a real pleasure to accompany you.

      Delete
    3. It is VERY rare that crazed individuals pop out of bushes. The vast marjority of crimes against a person are committed by someone who knows the victim, or in the anonymity of a crowd (pickpocketing) etc.
      The wild animals that used to roam the deep dark forests that once covered most of Germany are long gone, along with the forests. Wolves are cautiously being reintroduced, but would never choose a habitat so heavily built up and teeming with people as where I live. My biggest worries are wasps!

      Delete
  3. What beautiful surroundings. Plenty of oxygen to breathe in those great woods. I enjoyed your photographs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! Yes, the air was so much better there than where I live.

      Delete
  4. I love the goats! Will they let people pet them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some will do, especially if there is the chance for a treat :-) The ones we met up there live rather remotely and, although very curious, were keeping a polite distance. I guess if I had stuck around for a while, talking to them etc., the most daring ones would have let me pet them, but I didn't try.

      Delete
  5. Another wonderful 'walk' with you.
    PS My biggest fear is wasps as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I imagine the two of us sitting in a beer garden, swatting at wasps and getting slightly hysterical!

      Delete