Wednesday 25 October 2023

First Week in October

You already know what I did on the Monday of the first October week from my next-to-last post. Here is the rest of that week:

Tuesday, the 3rd of October, was our national holiday (to commemorate the reunion of East and West Germany). I was still at O.K.'s and went with him to the trade fair in Offenburg, where the village band was to perform for two hours.



It was a muggy warm day with a sprinkle of rain, but nothing to worry about. After the band's concert, we had a quick stroll round some parts of the fair but then had to get back so that O.K. could change out of the uniform. A short drive took us to the village where O.K.'s sister and her husband live, and we celebrated the husband's birthday. A good afternoon and evening with family and friends, nice food and drink.

I left Offenburg on the morning of Wednesday (Oct. 4) and arrived home with a delay of about 20 minutes. It was sunny again, but cooler. My after-work walk was to Pattonville, where I had not been in quite a while.

Thursday, the 5th of October, was my office day for that week. It was considerably cooler at 7C/44F in the morning, making a warm coat and scarf necessary. After work, I met up with two people from my volunteer group. Instead of at our office, we met at a (very noisy) café/bistro in town, where we could order food.

Another sunny day which warmed up to 20C/68F after a cold morning of only 6C/42F was Friday (Oct. 6). I had an errand to run during lunch break, and after work went on my standard walk to Benningen, taking in a beautiful sunset.

View from my kitchen window at 7:15 that morning.

Autumn display in my mini hallway; the pumpkins were home-grown by O.K.'s Mum.

Evening sky on the fields between Freiberg and Benningen


The sky in the east looked beautiful that evening, too.

Sunset over Benningen

Waiting for the local train in Benningen

My autumn display at night
Because of an away-engagement of the village band on Saturday, the 7th of October, O.K. and I spent the weekend seperately. 

I spent the morning doing household things and then went to my Mum's to help her with a few tasks. Afterwards, I did my groceries shopping and had a little rest at home before going back to my Mum's for the evening. She made what I call the BEST lasagne for the two of us. A well-chilled rosé matched it perfectly.

Sunday was as sunny and warm as the Saturday had been. After a quiet morning at home, I was once again at my Mum's in the early afternoon to meet my sister there. The two of us went for a walk together, first to the cemetery and then on to the fields, which was very nice.




9 comments:

  1. Wow, Meike, those skies over Benningen are amazing! Sounds like another perfect week for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was a good week, and those sunset skies over Benningen were even more luminous and beautiful than what my phone's camera was able to pick up.

      Delete
  2. Lovely skies, and nice autumn display in your hallway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Monica! As you know, more often than not our phone's cameras can only convey so much of what we see with the naked eye, and those sunsets and sunrises were no exception.

      Delete
  3. Two hours is a long time for a village band to play, how hard working they must be to learn all that music. I don't under estimate it. I really love your sunset pictures. When I try to take sunset pictures, they never come out as beautiful as I expect them to. But I would have been pleased indeed if I had taken some of yours. OK's mum must be a very accomplished gardener. Are there any plans for those pumpkins? I have been buying various types of smaller squashes and cooking them but I don't think I could deal with a large one unless I was about to do a mammoth freezing session of pumpkin soup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two hours (with a 15 minute break in between) is standard for such performances; they have several throughout the year at various events, and then of course their own annual concert before Christmas - always a festive treat! Even with the odd tone "out", their combined efforts make for a good result, keeping in mind that none of them are professional musicians but they do it all in their free time after school and work.

      Delete
    2. PS: Yes, O.K.'s Mum is an accomplished gardener. She and O.K.'s sister grow plenty on their allotment and in the garden, and she has a large muscat pumpkin waiting to be harvested. But for me, the small hokkaido and butternut squash ones are perfect - I usually only cook for the two of us and would not have space in the tiny freezer compartment in my fridge for a large amount of pumpkin soup anyway.

      Delete
  4. Thank you. I shall make a lasagne today. I'll eat some tonight ad freeze the rest in portions. A Malbec for me though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think we have ever had a Malbec, unless it comes under a different name in Germany. Anyway - guten Appetit!

      Delete