Wednesday 3 January 2024

Between Years

In German, the period between Christmas and New Year is called "between the years". It fits, I think; the old year is not yet over, but as good as, and the new year has not yet begun. For many, it is a time off work, when they visit friends and family or take to the mountains for skiing or simply relax, start on the books they got for Christmas and maybe go for walks they don't have time for otherwise.


On Monday (Christmas Day), I got up early-ish and once more lit all four candles on my Advent wreath while unwrapping the presents that had been sent to me from the UK. I then walked to the train station where there were much less people about than usual when I am on my way to O.K.'s.

All three trains were on time, and O.K. and I arrived at the village at 2:30 pm. It was mild at about 10 or 11C, partly sunny and windy, and we took advantage of the dry weather by going for a walk before having coffee and cake at the cottage. Afterwards, we exchanged our Christmas presents (one of which was the book I reviewed here).

It was still almost an hour before sunset!

Later, I rang my mother-in-law in Ripon to wish her Merry Christmas, and we had our customary hour of chatting about this and that. Mary will be 90 in March, and although she has many health issues, with the help of carers, a nurse and her daughter (who lives only a 5 minute drive away) she still lives in her own home. Mentally, she is fully there, and interested in a variety of topics.

Boxing Day in Germany is simply the "2nd Christmas Day". As usual, for us it meant a morning at the village church; the traditional family mass is accompanied by the village band, and when O.K. plays, I attend.

O.K.'s sister and her husband hosted our equally traditional festive family meal afterwards. They always serve an excellent, sumptuous meal of a starter, main course and dessert, with sparkling wine to begin with and a wine matching the main course.

Back home in the evening, O.K. and I watched "Love, Actually" on TV - can you believe I had never watched it before? Of course I knew about the film but somehow had never gotten round to it until now. I remembered what Alan Rickman had written about it in his diaries which I have reviewed here.

Wednesday, 27 December, was again sunny and mild, allowing for a stroll in town, running an errand or two, and later a walk around the village before coffee and cake at the cottage, followed by a brief visit with O.K.'s parents.

O.K. drove us back to Ludwigsburg on Thursday, 28 December. We were expected at my Mum's for a gathering with friends and family at 2:00 pm; our late friend R's brother and partner had come from Berlin, and two other friends as well as Mum's friend who lives downstairs in the same house joined my Mum, my sister, myself and O.K. Nine around the table does not sound all that much, and in past times there were more of us at various festive occasions, but it was very nice and of course my Mum served an excellent meal, too.

Us "young people" (we're all in our 50s) went to the cemetery before it got too dark so that we could visit R's and my Dad's graves.

On Friday, 29 December, O.K. and I had a late breakfast (it was actually noon) after a lazy morning and then walked across town to the palace grounds. 








As it got dark, we popped in for a glass of prosecco at our favourite winebar, and at 7:00 pm, we arrived at the Italian restaurant near where I live and where we had been lucky to grab a table for two and enjoyed a pizza each.

Saturday, 30 December, saw me hosting a family meal for a change. There were just the four of us (Mum, sister, O.K. and I), and I made game goulash, roast vegetables (spuds, carrots and parsnips) and Yorkshire Pudding after a salad of baby spinach leaves with an assortment of chopped nuts and spring onions. Dessert was meant to be ice cream, but my Mum brought a Christmas cake (very  chocolaty!), and so we had that. 

I don't have a dining room; we eat in the kitchen.

Who said something against individual YPs instead of one big one?

It was all much better than it looks here, even if I say so myself.

Of course, there was sparkling wine to start off the evening, and red wine (a Syrah) that I had also used to make the goulash.

Early afternoon, O.K. and I had been out for a walk on the fields.

O.K drove us back to the village on New Year's Eve. It was raining for much of the drive, and rained again later, but kept off long enough for the neighbours to have their fireworks. We watched quietly from inside the cottage - a nasty cold wind had come up, and we just didn't feel like going out.

The last sunrise of 2023, as seen from my kitchen.
We had spent much of the afternoon in the warm kitchen, preparing boar in a thick dark gravy (based on red wine, surprise surprise!) with onions and carrots. O.K. served a linguine-type of noodles with it, and it was truly delicious.

At midnight, of course we clinked glasses with sparkling wine before starting to exchange messages with friends and family.

In the course of the evening, we listened to music, watched some silly stuff on youtube, and talked. It was a cosy, quiet New Year's Eve - just what we wanted.

- - -

What a lot of food and drink! But it was all good, and all in good measure - I can honestly say that I did not wake up with a headache once, and although I never left the table hungry, I can also say that I did not eat to the point of feeling unwell. We tried to intersperse all that eating and drinking with walks, and it was simply good not having to be up at a certain time every morning.

And now it's over for another year, and the first half of the first working week of 2024 is already behind me.

35 comments:

  1. Sounds lovely, Meike! You had lots of meals with family and friends and the food looks yummy in the photos. I would want to fill those Yorkshire puddings with the nice gravy or do you just break of pieces to dip in? I have never had a Yorkshire pudding obviously.
    Hope your New Year is happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is up to each person whether they want the gravy in/over their YPs or not; I usually mix everything once I start eating anyway, so the YPs sitting at the side and not being filled with gravy was really more for the photo than anything else :-)

      Delete
  2. Oh, it all sounds so wonderful! I hope you liked "Love Actually"! It's a shame that Alan RIckman played a CAD in that film, I always loved his acting so much. Your photos of the meal and descriptions have made me very hungry so I must go and fix dinner very soon! Yes, eat and drink in between all those lovely walks and always keep telling us about your lovely life. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did like "Love Actually", although I have one or two reservations (not going into detail here).
      Alan Rickman and Emma Thompson were very good friends, which must have reflected on their work together. She wrote the preface for the diaries book.
      I know what you mean - sometimes I read about someone's meals on their blog and get hungry instantly! :-)

      Delete
  3. That sounds like a very pleasant break. What is "between the years" in German? It could be a useful and memorable phrase to use here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a pleasant break, in spite of the "back and forth".
      Between the years in German is "zwischen den Jahren".

      Delete
    2. Tasker, it's "Altjahrswoche" (old year's week).

      U

      Delete
    3. Never heard that expression, Ursula.

      Delete
    4. Well, there you go, Meike. I have added value to your treasure trove of knowledge. May it come in useful at your next pub quiz.

      Altjahrswoche possibly - like so many expressions - either regional or old German. Or, dare I say it, Swiss. Schwyzer Duetsch. Der "Wahrig", ein deutsches Woerterbuch and the Oracle [my father] swears by, even mentions "Altjahrstag/abend" - Sylvester.

      Main thing to remember is that when you try and buy a roll in Bavaria ask for a Semmel, in Hamburg for a Broetchen. Or point. Make mine a Roeggelchen (Rheinland).

      U

      Delete
    5. Altjahrsabend I know, although nobody around here uses that term (anymore). I am well aware of the difference in words for roll and know that our Swabian Weckle is a Semmel in Bavaria and a Brötchen in most other parts of Germany.
      As for the pub quiz, oh yes! That's going to start next week, I think, but I have not got my team together just yet - those from the US are in the US at the moment, and of the others I have heard nothing. (By the way, the quiz is held in English; knowing German expressions is useless there. The publican really is Irish, unlike many other hosts at Irish Pubs in Germany.)

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year dear Meike. I hope 2024 is a good year for you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Jennifer. I know it's not been off to a good start for you.

      Delete
  5. Happy New Year. I enjoy your blog so much. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for reading and commenting, Brenda!

      Delete
  6. I love that - "between the years". A wonderful phrase and completely true.
    As always, I love reading about your busy, happy life.
    Over here, we don't have Yorkshire puddings - we have popovers!! They are served with butter and maybe jam. More a breakfast item, than a main meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nan!
      Somehow, your blog has disappeared from my reading list, I must try to reinstate it there - I see I have missed many posts of yours!
      Yorkshire puddings are savoury, but I know that some people eat them cold the next day with syrup or jam (not me).

      Delete
  7. I like that you call that week "between the years". Your Christmas and New Years sounds wonderful! And those Yorkshire puddings look delicious as does the rest of the meal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bonnie!
      All of those festive meals were really good. We did not finish all of the goulash, though (there being only three of us who eat it - my sister is vegetarian), so there is still some in my freezer, waiting for a Friday evening when O.K. comes to my place and we want a cosy hot meal without taking much time to prepare.

      Delete
  8. Happy New Year Meike. Your Christmas break sounds so well organised. You are lucky to have trains on Christmas Day. We do not have that here and this year there were also for my region no trains on Boxing Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachel!
      We have strikes forecast from next week onwards, so I don't know yet whether I should risk travelling back from O.K.'s on Monday morning as usual or play it safe and go home Sunday night.

      Delete
  9. *A Toast for the Daft Days. A Poyum by Len Pennie for LIDL.*
    YouTube. Miss Punny Pennie.

    The Daft Days are the twelve days between Christmas and Twelfth Night,
    including 31st December, known as Hogmanay followed by Ne'er Day or Jan. 1st.
    Robert Fergusson (1750-1774) coined the phrase.
    Edinburgh-born Fergusson, who died after a head injury, was revered by fellow poet Robert Burns.

    According to Scottish superstition housewives had to clean the house
    and take out the ashes from the coal fire on Hogmanay.
    Ne'er Day was ushered in by a post-midnight visitor or *first footer* who brought in a lump of coal, and was treated to a dram (whiskey) and Black Bun.

    *Hogmanay : The Lost Tradition of Scotland's festive daft days of old.*
    Alison Campsie. The Scotsman newspaper online.
    Len Pennie has wonderfully funny YouTube videos.
    She is a Scottish language poet in the tradition of Fergusson, Burns, Soutar etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Keeping Scots Language Alive/ In Search of Sir Walter Scot.*
      YouTube. BBC Scotland.
      Len Pennie aka Miss Punny Pennie was interviewed in the Offshore Cafe
      in Gibson Street, Glasgow, which stands near the Kelvin River, a tributary
      of the Clyde.
      Offshore is a twenty minute walk from where I live, near Glasgow University.

      Delete
    2. Here, people usually go for a big house cleaning before Christmas, and a superstition of old was that one should not wash bedding or do any washing at all in the days leading up to New Year's Eve - or one would "wash" someone "out of the house". I must admit that I did not grow up with these traditions and never made them my own; I wash when I want clean clothes and bedding, and I clean every week, (mostly) regular as clock work.

      Hogmanay features in novels I read every now and then, but I have never personally attended one, never having spent New Year's Eve anywhere else but in Germany, usually at my parents', at my own home or - in more recent years - at O.K.'s.

      Delete
    3. My mother washed and cleaned everything by Hogmanay.
      At the Bells, she made herself a cup of tea (she wanted alcohol) and
      my father poured himself a Single Malt Whisky and small beer.
      I never saw anyone bringing in a lump of coal nor did I ever eat Black Bun,
      which is made from raisins, currants, citrus peel, almonds, ginger, cinnamon
      & black pepper.
      I would not eat fermented food now but I used to enjoy a sliver of Xmas Pudding
      after a light meal such as macaroni cheese.
      Hogmanay derives from the French for gala day or the Anglo-Saxon for
      holy month.
      In Norse culture Janus was the two-faced god looking backwards and forwards,
      the ideal deity for the winter solstice.
      I wonder if there is a Janus head near Hadrian's Wall ?
      Songs for Hogmanay ... Auld Lang Syne, Do Ye Mind Lang Syne
      My Ain Folk, Ye Banks and Braes, Dark Island, The Road to the Isles.
      I once had tea with the trained soprano Moira Anderson (YouTube) who
      sang them all.

      Delete
    4. Erratum. I meant to write that my mother did NOT want alcohol.
      She occasionally tried a Sherry but said it made her feel unwell.

      Delete
    5. *D'ye Mind Lang Lang Syne.*
      Moira Anderson.
      *Dae Ye Mind On Lang Lang Syne.*
      Robert Lovie.
      The line about ' guddling' in the burn refers to catching trout just by the fingers.

      Delete
    6. Thank you for clearing up the bit about your mother "wanting alcohol" - it did puzzle me a little.
      Janus a Norse deity? I always had him down as a Roman god, with the month of January being named after him.
      You calling maccaroni cheese a "light meal" made me smile.

      Delete
  10. Have so enjoyed your 'diary' of the wonderful Christmas/New Year holiday season Meike.
    Sadly we were hit by illness here and celebrations were brief, or didn't happen at all!
    Thank you for sharing your family gatherings, I really enjoyed reading it all and learning of the traditions you are upholding.
    Happiest of New Years to you and your loved ones.
    Mary & Bob xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary & Bob!
      So many people had to alter their plans for Christmas and New Year because of illness, but thankfully, everyone we were to meet was fine by the time we met.
      Now work has begun again, and next week nearly everyone will be back so I expect a rather busy week after the first four relatively quiet days.
      Hugs, Meike
      xx

      Delete
  11. Individual Yorkshire puds are very good for holding the gravy! (I'm a Yorkshire woman and allowed to have an opinion on the matter!) You've had a lovely holiday with friends and family, just as it should be. Sending you all good wishes for 2024.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and yes of course you are allowed to have an opinion on the matter of Yorkshire puds :-D

      Delete
  12. In Sweden we call the days between Christmas and New Year "mellandagar" (in-between-days). I've never really thought of it as "between the years" though, more like "the days between the holidays"... Sometimes here also including the days between New Year and today (Twelfth Night).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly are in-between-days! Twelfth Night is called Heilige Drei Könige in German (three holy kings) or simply Dreikönig. It is a holiday for most, but not all, of Germany, including my area. Many people use that day to „put Christmas away“, and many start work again only in the 2nd week of the new year.

      Delete
  13. Hello. Wishing you a healthy and happy 2024!

    ReplyDelete