Saturday 20 January 2024

Read in 2024 - 1: All Teachers Great and Small

All Teachers Great and Small

by Andy Seed

A gift from my sister, this is the first book in a series about the life of a village school teacher in the Yorkshire Dales.

Sounds familiar? Yes, and there certainly are similarities to Jack Sheffield's "Teacher" series - you can find my reviews of those delightful books by entering "Jack Sheffield" in the search box in the top left corner of my blog.

In both cases, we have a young teacher starting his first job at a village school in Yorkshire. And it's not only work itself, the children at the school, the other staff and living in a new place, but also entering a new phase in their adult lives, starting their own family, that needs some adjusting to.

Also, both series are set in or around the 1980s - a time I remember so very well myself, because it was the crucial period of teenage years and transition to young adulthood (I was 12 in 1980, and 22 in 1990) with the milestones of leaving school, starting work and so on.

But still, it would be unfair to say that Andy Seed has just created something like a copy of Jack Sheffield's older series. He, his wife, the school staff, the school itself, the village, his neighbours and so on are all their own characters and no cheap copies.

The book follows his entire first year at the school. Each chapter's headline is the name of a boy or girl who features prominently in that chapter. Built around those individual children are all the events of the school year, successes and dramas alike.

There is a school trip, a Christmas panto and nativity play, the old Head Teacher leaves, a memorable football match takes place, and the school year ends on a game of rounders with the opposing teams being children v. staff.

In the meantime, the new young teacher and his wife find their first own home, make it habitable, meet their new neighbours and have a baby.

No shortage of events there, and I expect the next installments to be similarly entertaining (I already have them on my kindle).

The author's website is here. Like Jack Sheffield, Andy Seed really used to be a teacher, and much of what happens in his books is based on real happenings from that time.

6 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this book but it sounds interesting. Organizing the story through the individual children is a novel idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked that, too; at the same time, the story follows the school year from start to finish.

      Delete
  2. Interesting. I have all the Jack Sheffield books since his Corgi edition of 'Teacher, Teacher!' was published in 2007. Oddly enough it seems a lot longer ago. I also enjoyed the Gervaise Phinn books as well. It is always a subject with lots of potential and Freda Breram published some in the same ilk in New Zealand .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the Jack Sheffield books, but have yet to read the Gervais Phinn ones. In 2017, I read his "The Virgin Mary's Got Nits" and reviewed it here on my blog; back then, I thought I would soon start on his series but so far have not gotten round to it.

      Delete
  3. I can't comment as Sketchbook Wandering but that is who I am.. In the 80's I was a public school art teacher. Can't wait to read this book. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sketchbook Wandering! Thank you for popping in and commenting. Although small village schools and public schools are (I suppose) worlds apart, I am sure you'll still find plenty to relate to in this book.

      Delete