Monday 29 January 2024

Windy Week

Last week saw a mix of rain and sun, plenty of wind and quite a rollercoaster in terms of temperature. It ended with a première for me: My first ever political demonstration.

On Monday (22 January), I worked from home as I do nearly every Monday. Half of my lunch hour was spent at the nearby spa for a very necessary back-and-shoulders massage. Because of the rain, I didn't go for a walk at all. (The five minutes to the spa and another five back do not count.)

Sunrise from my kitchen window that morning.
Another train drivers' strike was announced to begin on Wednesday, and so once again, I made Tuesday (23 January) my Office Day instead of Wednesday. Within the building, my department are moving from the fourth to the 2nd floor. I prepared everything I could do myself - there are not many personal items in my room anyway, so it was done quickly. The rest is up to facility management (moving my desk and chair) and IT guys (moving my computer, monitor, headset, keyboard etc.).

It was mild, mostly sunny but very windy. By the time I was ready to leave work, rain had set in - another walk-less day.

I made up for two days without a walk by being out for a bit more than 2 hours on Wednesday (24 January), walking to Pattonville one way and back another. The thermometer rose to 12C/53F in the windblown, sunny afternoon after a rainy morning. As is my habit, I couldn't help noticing that Christmas Eve was exactly 11 months away.

4:00 pm on Wednesday - you can almost see the wind rushing the clouds along, can't you!



I used to work on the 9th floor of that tall building.

10 past 5:00 pm, sunset.

On Thursday (25 January) after work, my sister and I met at our Mum's. I had asked for a particular kind of soup (vegetable broth with semolina dumplings) which I know my Mum makes to perfection, and that evening was no exception. The day had been mostly sunny but with not enough time between calls and tasks and meetings to afford a walk other than the 10 or so minutes it takes me to get to my Mum's.

O.K. was supposed to arrive at my place on Friday (26 January) evening, but... One of his colleagues had been home with a cold earlier in the week, returning to work the next day. Only the day AFTER, he casually suggested O.K. - who had been working in the same room with him all day - self-test for Covid, since he himself had tested positive the day before... Why on earth he didn't say a word the day before, or - better still - stayed at home is anyone's guess! I was quite angry at such inconsiderate behaviour and a little upset, and of course it meant that O.K. and I were to spend the third weekend in a row without seeing each other - he ended up testing positive, too.

It was wet and windy but mild all day, with the sun putting in an appearance shortly before sunset, as seen from my windows:


Saturday and Sunday (27 and 28 January) were days of azure blue skies and wall to wall sunshine, frosty nights and mornings with temperatures below freezing and milder afternoons with 7 to 9 C/44 to 48 F.

Housework and food shopping didn't take very long, and I had ample time for a good walk to Hungerberg and back through the deer park. It was beautiful in the sun but as soon as I was in the shade it felt cold. 


The monoliths at Hungerberg - an over-sized sundial, really.

If you click to enlarge, you should be able to see the "rocket" that is visible from many places around here.

A swan made of an old car tyre... would you put this in your garden?

The deer park was THE place to be that day, judging by the numbers of people. It was as good as impossible to take a photo without people in it.

My Mum and I met at our nearby Italian restaurant for a pizza (me; Mum had gamberi in a slightly disappointing white wine sauce) and a glass of wine each. It was nice to catch up on things, just the two of us.

My Mum took this picture of me while I was taking a picture of our food :-D

I don't know if you are aware of what has been going on in Germany now for a while. In short, a political party of extreme right-wing views has steadily been on the rise. The German Domestic Intelligence Services have been investigating and observing them for years. Recently, a network of independent researchers have made public a "secret" meeting of some of the party's high-ranking members with various other figures, planning on "re-migrating" millions of people they deem to be not worthy to live in Germany. Sounds familiar? Exactly!

Once this was known, people started taking to the streets. In many cities across Germany, protest marches and rallies started to be held, all of them drawing much bigger crowds than what the organisers expected, and all of them peaceful.

Yesterday, Sunday, Ludwigsburg held just such a rally in the townhall's courtyard. It was organised by an alliance of politicial parties, volunteer groups, industry associations and others, and the variety of those who spoke was reflected in the diversity of people who attended: Families with children, old people, middle-agers such as my sister and myself, colourful and less conspicuous folks - all ages, sizes, shapes and looks were to be seen.

An estimated 7,000 crowded the courtyard, but in spite of this large number, it never felt uneasy and we were never shoved about or squeezed, and I was not worried for one second that we could easily leave anytime we wanted to.

This was just as we arrived; more people kept joining the crowd throughout the rally.
The building in the back is our city hall. The 1960s concrete block to the right is the Kulturzentrum ("culture centre") of Ludwigsburg, holding among other things the city library where I was trained and worked from 1986 to 1992.




A series of speeches - most of them clear and concise, with only one of them elaborating in a way I could not competely agree with, and only two of the speakers being so nervous they had to read from their notes - was interspersed with protest songs performed live by a man with a guitar. Placards and banners were held up, some of them rather witty. The atmosphere was relaxed, not fired up in a way that made you fear the mood could swing to aggression anytime.

Ludwigsburg's Lord Mayor put emphasis on the fact that, much as it matters that people come to rallies and protest marches, it is even more important to actually DO something - and he meant things like voting (we have several elections coming up this year), speaking up when we hear someone making a racist or nationalist comment, do volunteer work and quite clearly position ourselves far away from those who still believe that the human species consists of 1st and 2nd class invididuals, those who deserve to enjoy freedom, peace and prosperity and those who don't.

20 comments:

  1. Oh my, so much to comment about here! Firstly, I hope that OK is doing OK now, and I hate that he got Covid! Aren't you brave to go to a rally! If we don't stand up, we will fall for anything! It is similar in this country, things are becoming quite scary to me. And as you say, it is important to vote! The photos of you and your Mum! So good to see you both enjoying a nice meal together. The soup that she made for you with the dumplings sounds yummy. Stay warm, my friend! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kay, O.K. is fine - he had nothing more than typical cold symptoms, got rid of them quickly, tested negative soon and went back to work on Monday.
      You too stay warm, and go for those walks whenever you get a chance :-)
      x

      Delete
  2. I always enjoy your blog. I also enjoy your book blogs. You are your family are delightful. I know you miss your father. Glad you did not make the trip and risk getting Covid. It is everywhere, and it really can't be helped I suppose. I have never stopped masking in public...however, I have two little grands who go to school...enough said...I still am going to use the mask in the grocery, etc. Just in case...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said it, Covid is everywhere, and most people seem to have a very relaxed attitude towards it now, many don't even self-test anymore.
      Thank you - I am glad you enjoy my book reviews and other posts :-)

      Delete
  3. It's taken me a few hours with some interruptions, to eat, to welcome visitors and so on to read and re-read this post. It's a considerable irritation (I'm moderating my language) that O.K.'s colleague put him in the situation he found himself in. The points you've made in the last part of your post about the rise of The Right is just one of the things that scares and worries me about life in so many countries at the moment. Indeed the world is in a very dangerous situation. It saddens me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It saddens and worries me, too, Graham, which is one reason why I went to that rally.
      I hope your visitors are of some comfort to you at this sad time of just having lost your brother.

      Delete
  4. O.K.'s colleague was sure irresponsible with his COVID and he shouldn't have come to work and infected others. I would be angry too, Meike.
    I'm glad you got out for a walk and had some lovely time with your sister and your Mom.
    Congrats on joining the political rally! It's scary how these right-wing hate groups are rising up everywhere lately it seems. I definitely speak up when I hear hateful comments and I always vote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely irresponsible and inconsiderate, I think. He knows O.K. has elderly parents who are clearly vulnerable.
      Those walks did me good, and spending time with my family, too.
      Especially in Germany, people should know better than to adhere to certain ideas and ideologies.

      Delete
  5. Masks are the aswer to Covid and the flu.
    Voting is politics and I detest politics and especially politicians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Masks even protect against the common cold, but few people wear them since they are not mandatory anymore.
      Politics is part of our lives and won't go away by being detested or ignored, and women have fought long and hard for the right to vote - a right too important to not make use of it, I believe.

      Delete
  6. Good news that your friend is better and did not have a major case of covid. In mid December I had it for the second time, fairly unpleasant for a week, and then 3 weeks of very nasty vertigo, GI stuff, etc. As everyone has said, people have become blasé and loose sight of the potential seriousness of covid.

    As for nasty politics, here in the US we seem to be having a front row seat on the dissolution of the positive aspects of our whole system. It's very disheartening to see this unfolding.

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ceci! Yes, he wasn't suffering more than with a slight cold, really.
      Sorry to hear you had such prolonged and unpleasant - if not to say dangerous - symptoms.

      I agree with what you say about nasty politics in the US :-(

      Delete
  7. I find it very inconsiderate of O.K.'s colleague to go to work knowing he'd tested positive with covid, let alone not telling...
    We have a minority right-wing government here since the last election, relying on the support of a more extreme-right party in the parliament. Even if they are not included in the government as such, they obviously have an influence on the politics. I know that here too they're making it harder for immigrants to be granted citizenship. (And at the same time I was just thinking today how much our society has come to rely on immigrants doing the least popular jobs, with the lowest salaries...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I were to mdet O.K.'s colleague, I would give him a piece of my mind - not that it would change anything, I guess... it's not compulsory any longer to self-test before coming to work, or self-isolate when one knows they have Covid, and so he did not break any offical rules - just the unwritten rules of decent behaviour.

      Exactly, Monica! One of those speaking at the rally made this an important point of his speech, explaining what percentage of employees in the hotel and gastronomy industry (as well as in many other industries) would be gone if the plans of that extreme right-wing party would come to fruition! He said: "Imagine around 70 % of waiters, cooks and cleaners gone... you'd have a lot of fun trying to order anything at your favourite restaurant."

      Delete
  8. I think the rise in far-right political views is understandable when there are shortages in rich countries of housing, health, education and public services. But big lies are being told. I see these problems as caused by right-wing politics which starves services of funding, doing things on the cheap to allow the accumulation of wealth in large pockets rather than distributing it more fairly, possibly even globally. The "world without work" predicted as a result of technology is well underway, but there has been little attempt to deal with the national and international social problems it brings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the underlying cause of it all is overpopulation. If there were not so many of us squeezed into such a small country, and more and more being added every day (by birth or by immigration), there wouldn't be a shortage of anything.

      Delete
  9. Good on you and your sister for joining the rally against the rise of the far right though I disagree with this definition: "middle-agers such as my sister and myself" as you are still young lasses! Germany knows better than just about anywhere else about how easily fascism might grow if allowed oxygen. Never again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Precisely, Neil. "Nie wieder ist jetzt" - "Never Again is Now" is one of the slogans that's been seen on lots of placards these days. Another popular (and good one) is "Menschenrechte statt rechte Menschen" - "Human rights, not 'right' humans".

      Delete
  10. Well done. It’s important to stand up for what matters in life - I have always admired the way that the majority of Germans have repudiated what was done in their name after ww2.

    Just a few days ago in Sydney some 60 men identifying as neo nazis , dressed in black and wearing masks, attempted to cause problems by boarding trains as a protest against Australia Day being taken away from “white people”!

    Fortunately this was nipped in the bud, but we must be aware and fight these extremists.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sue, oh dear - that neo nazi mob in Sydney must be worrying! For the 60 or so who were actively participating, there will be a much larger number in the background, silently agreeing with them.

      After WW2, all of a sudden there were no nazis in Germany. Nobody had known, heard or seen anything; almost everybody had "merely followed orders". I have always found it hard to grasp this not owning up to the fact that there were not just a few people at the top, but LOADS of ordinary folks who contributed to those horrors. Shame? Fear of retribution? Honest penitence? Possibly a mix of all these things.

      Delete