Saturday 20 January 2024

Read in 2023 - 35: A Christmas Posy

A Christmas Posy

by Mrs. Molesworth

Every year around Christmas, I try to get in at least one seasonal read, in some years with more success than in others. Not long before Christmas 2023, I started on another one of the many old children's books I have on my kindle, several of which were written by Mrs. Molesworth (clicking on her name will take you to her wikipedia entry). You can find my other reviews of her books (one as recent as October 2023) simply by typing "Molesworth" in the search box in the top left corner of this page.

The one I chose last Christmas was a minor disappointment in that it was not really about Christmas, in spite of its title. 

Several short-ish stand-alone stories are supposed to leave the young reader with a warm feeling and a boost of morale, encouraging good behaviour but not in a sour-faced way. There is humour, too, but all things considered, I found none of the stories as engaging as some of the author's other works.

Each story is about overcoming a difficult situation, usually with the help of others, but also last but not least because the hero or heroine draws on their own goodness and strength of character.

The topics range from a lost, much treasured family heirloom returned to its rightful owner to a boy who wishes nothing more than to learn to play the violin. Maybe the stories were just too short for me to really warm to the characters.

And I am not saying I did not enjoy the read or consider it a waste of time, it just was neither particularly Christmassy nor engaging.

Originally published in 1888, my free kindle copy came without illustrations and of course did not have the ornate cover I am showing you here.

I actually finished it in 2024, but read 80 % of it in 2023, so it is my last read of 2023 and first of 2024 at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment