Friday 7 July 2023

Last Week of June

The last week of June was off to a hot start when on Monday (June 26) the thermometer reached 30 Celsius (86 F)

My train journey from Offenburg to Ludwigsburg took about 20 minutes longer than usual - not only because there was a delay of about 15 minutes, but also because of ongoing construction work, no stop at Stuttgart main station was possible. Instead, the train was diverted to Esslingen, and so we zig-zagged our way back and forth until I was finally home and able to start work at 10:00 am.
My sister and I spent the evening at our Mum's. Because it was still rather hot by the time we arrived, we ate indoors (a delicious creamy risotto she had made for us). For a refreshing sundowner, we were able to sit on the balcony.

Just before 9:00 pm on June 26

Tuesday, the 27th of June, felt much cooler at 24 C (75.2 F), last but not least because it remained overcast all day. I worked at the office in Weilimdorf and went home directly, not walking part of the way like I often do. But after a short rest at home, I made use of the pleasant summer evening and walked to Benningen, taking the local train back.
Weatherwise, Wednesday (June 28) was pretty much the same, and I was again working in Weilimdorf. I had time for a snack before I rang Mary in Ripon at 7:00 pm. I feel latently guilty for not calling her more often; when Steve was still around, he used to call his Mum every three or four weeks, and of course we went to stay with her for about a week every summer. I took over the regular calls after he died, but after a few years, I rang maybe every six weeks, and nowadays, months can pass without a call. With my sister-in-law who looks after her, I keep in touch much more frequently - it is just so much easier to fit in a text message or an email, and although I love Mary and we usually have a good chat, it is sometimes hard to muster the energy for an hour-long phone call after I have been talking and listening at work all day. 
Not long now until my sister and I will be in Ripon, and of course I will make sure to visit Mary every other day.

Anyway - after our phone call, I knew I had still between 1 1/2 and 2 hours of daylight left, and set off for Pattonville, where I had not been in quite a while.

No walk was possible on Thursday, the 29th of June. My volunteer group met after work, and as always, it was good to see them and spend a few hours talking (not always "shop"), having a shandy and eating pretzels.
I came home to find I had somehow aqcuired a new "pet" - this grashopper was really noisy, and as long as my index finger! When he was still around the next morning, I gently persuaded him to leave.

It rained a little in the early morning hours of Friday (June 30) - not enough to really make a difference, but better than nothing. I worked from home, which gave me the chance to spend my lunch break at Kullman's Diner with a friend - we had not met yet all of this year, in spite of him living in the same street as my sister, a 15 minute walk away from me at most.
After I finished work and did my usual weekly cleaning, I had a little rest before walking over to my Mum's for a chat.

On Saturday, the 1st of July, I had an adventurous train journey to Offenburg, requiring a very quick change of plans and the purchase of an additional ticket. In the end, I still arrived on time, and O.K. and I spent most of the afternoon in town, starting with a nice meal at a place I'd not been to before, and later having ice creams. The day was really pleasant at 22 C (71.6 F).
Once we arrived at the cottage, we rested for about an hour before setting out for an evening walk and then having dinner on the balcony.
Offenburg town centre

view across O.K.'s village



Sunday, the 2nd of July, saw us getting up relatively early (for a Sunday anyway). O.K. and the village band were playing at a neighbouring village. O.K.'s village is one of three villages forming an administrative unit, and they take turns in the annual village fête - last year, it was us, this year, it was one of the other two.
It was really busy, and although the performances went well and we enjoyed our food and drink and even more so meeting our friends, it was not as well organised as "our" fête had been, resulting in long queuing for each and every single thing you wanted. Never mind - when you go to a village fête, you should have time and not be in a rush, right?




This one is for Kay... and her Dad!
Back home, we spent the rest of the afternoon under the big umbrella on O.K.'s balcony. To enjoy the beautiful evening light, we went for a walk around the village later, and then had a light meal of caprese (tomato & mozzarella) and rosé wine on the balcony.

9 comments:

  1. It stays light so late there. I'm bothered by how early it gets light in the morning lately and I'm woken up way too early!
    Your life sounds so busy and happy, Meike. I love to hear what you are up to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ellen! Could you keep blinds down or dark curtains so that the morning light does not wake you up earlier than you want to?

      Delete
  2. One can sense the "hot and dry" from at least some of those photos...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and this weekend is even hotter; we‘re expecting 36 C today…

      Delete
  3. A green grassy road, this walk to Benningden.
    I am green with envy. And greenish too looking at the view over O.K.'s village.
    These skies are soul-calling; quite Wordsworthian. Am I being pretentious ?
    No pretending with the grasshopper: I have been looking at hoppers on YouTube.
    Keats wrote a poem about a cricket upon a bet with Southey in Hampstead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *The Poetry of earth is never dead.*
      On the Grasshopper and Cricket.
      Southey said Keats won the bet on that first line alone.

      Delete
    2. The grassy path is the shortest bit of this two-hour-wal. Right now, there is not much green; the ground is parched, and all that long grass is dried to a crisp. I shudder to think what would happen if someone carelessly dropped a still glowing fag stub.
      Some rain was forecast for this morning, but at the moment it does not look as if it will actually come about.

      Delete
  4. OH!! The sunflowers, thank you so much for thinking of me and my Dad too, God rest his soul. He truly loved Germany! I love all your photos so much and your descriptions of what we are seeing! One question: are the pretzels just amazingly better there than we ones we get here? I just bet they are! (Very often the ones we buy are very HARD and I cannot eat them for fear of breaking my teeth.) The way you ended your post, with you and OK on the balcony drinking rose wine and eating a light salad, that's sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you spotted the sunflower picture that I put there for you and your Dad!
      Sorry - can't say much about American pretzels, as I have been to the US only once and never ate a pretzel there. Ours are called Brezel and are usually only deemed "perfect" when they are no older than a few hours. Say, a Brezel bought at a bakery in the early morning on your way to work will be great if you have it before noon, but if you want one in the afternoon, you should go an buy one during your lunch break, freshly baked again. They are fluffy inside and with a crunchy crust and "arms".
      Look at this wikipedia entry: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brezel
      The 2nd picture from the top shows what ours look like here.

      Delete