Monday 10 July 2023

Read in 2023 - 20: Lessons in Chemistry

Lessons in Chemistry

Bonnie Garmus

My Mum gave me this paperback for my birthday, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. 

Of the four review quotes on the cover, two are true for me, too: "Thought-provoking and stylish" (although I don't really know what makes this novel "stylish" - though-provoking it certainly is!) and "A timeless novel".

The quote I least agree with is "Sparks joy with every page". There is much hearbreak and sadness, too, but of course it is hard to say what the person who wrote the review really meant without me having read the full review. Also, I did not find the book "absolutely unputdownable" - I did put it down many, many times, mainly because I read it mostly during my lunch breaks when working from home, and did not find it at all hard to stop between one chapter and the next.

The story is set in the late 1950s and early 1960s, somewhere in California. A chemist struggles to assert herself not only as a scientist, but as a woman. Her life has all the ingredients to make her an outcast: difficult family background, unmarried mother, under-appreciated full time job in a male-dominated environment, and very good-looking, which attracts men for all the wrong reasons and makes other women jealous to the point of scheming against her.

And yet, quite by accident she becomes the host of a cooking show on TV - and soon, her unwilling celebrity status brings its own challenges.

There is plenty in the book, from humour to love story, from drama to lucky turns of events. Family and friendship are as important as romantic love, and a little girl plays an equally significant role as a dog.

Speaking of the dog, he is probably my favourite character, but there are several others I really grew to like. The only negative point (if you could call it that) I found with the book is character-related, too: While most of the cast have their good and bad sides, like all real people, there are a few who have nothing but bad sides, and like in the Grimm brothers' fairytales, in the end they get what they deserve.

If you get a chance to read this, I recommend you do so. On the back of the cover, it says "Soon to be an Apple TV series" - I happen to be a subscriber to Apple TV, and when/if the series becomes available, I will certainly watch it.

For the author, it must be thrilling to have her debut novel so widely acclaimed and hugely successful! Her website is here, worth checking out.

17 comments:

  1. I read it a while ago and also enjoyed it six-thirty was my favourite character as well.

    Wonder how good six-thirty will be in the Apple series? And how will they do his thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I wonder about that, too. On the author's website you can find a short trailer for the TV series, and six-thirty is seen a few times.

      Delete
  2. Apple TV is terra incognito, but then I don't have a TV or a mobile phone.
    Chemistry and a woman chemist does appeal though I do not care for the cover art.
    For wit and hard truth and humanity I recommend The Saint of Lost Things.
    Tish Delaney's second novel is set in rural Ireland. I admired the very first page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the recommendation, Jack; I have just looked it up on Goodreads.com and it sounds like something I would like.

      Delete
    2. Tish (nice name) set her story in the 1960s too.
      Chemistry works in fiction as it does in relationships. Laughter plays a key role.

      Delete
  3. I've seen that listed on several "should be read" lists but didn't know what it was about. Thanks for the review, Meike!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like a modern theme in a historical setting. I think that puts it well along the road to success, although of course, it has to be a good story well told too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is a good story well told, and its success is merited, I think.

      Delete
  5. My book club is supposed to read it this fall! Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Jennifer :-)
      I am looking forward to comparing notes.

      Delete
    2. I might consider reading this one Meike! I came to America in the early 60's when domestic life was so different from England - this might bring back a lot of memories, especially cooking/food availability etc.
      BTW - do you read a lot of books in English rather than German? Because your English is perfect I know it's easy for you and, as always, I so admire anyone who is fluent in more than one language.
      Thanks again for Bob's birthday greeting - he so enjoyed your words.
      Hugs - Mary

      Delete
    3. I can imagine you would enjoy this book, Mary.
      Do I read a lot of books in English? Your question surprises me a little - almost all my book reviews are of books with English titles - I don't translate titles for my reviews, I always give them "as is"; the only one (so far) this year I have read in German was this one:
      https://librarianwithsecrets.blogspot.com/2023/02/read-in-2023-3-ich-bin-hier-und-alles.html
      And I read it in German because it was a Christmas gift from the Hungarian lady where I regularly go to for back and shoulder massages, and she does not know that I prefer reading books in the language they were originally written :-)
      Thank you for the compliment about my English. I do my best but am always glad to learn more, and improve where I have made mistakes.

      Delete
  6. You know I don't read much fiction but I clicked on the author's info and even though she is an American from California she lives in London! I like her already!😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I really think you would enjoy this book. It is fiction, but one can imagine that much of it could have happened just like that.

      Delete
  7. I loved this book! I liked the frankness (if that is a word) of it. Reminded me of "Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it, too. I have not read Eleanor Oliphant, but I have read several reviews when it came out.

      Delete