Monday 31 July 2023

Nunnington Hall Revisited

Nine years ago, my sister-in-law A and my niece B took us on a day out to Nunnington Hall, a National Trust property. We enjoyed that day very much, and since my sister and I have National Trust passes valid for two weeks (a great idea, and a birthday gift from my sister) and did not want to spend too much time driving anywhere, we opted for Nunnington Hall when A had the day off last Friday.

Driving through the green Yorkshire countryside through pretty villages and past drystone walls is a treat in itself, as our blogging friend Weaver of Grass will confirm.

We stopped at the village of Coxwold, where A knows the owner of a tearoom. They were open, and we spent a very pleasant hour or so in the lovely garden, having tea and cheese scones. It was more like being in someone‘s private garden than at a tearoom - very nice! 

On top of the tearoom, the owner also runs a shop, a B&B and a holiday cottage. You can see pictures and find information about it all here.

Not far from there, we reached Nunnington Hall. The place was as beautiful as we remembered it, but some rooms have been changed, mainly in the attic. Instead of guided tours, visitors can grab a leaflet and wander the house at will, with information available in every room as well as friendly volunteers who answer your questions.




A stop at their tea garden on the bank of the river Rye followed before we went on to explore the beautiful gardens.










After A dropped us off at the cottage, we did a quick shopping at Aldi. The evening was spent quietly with a light meal and watching two epsiodes of Father Brown.

You can read about our 2014 visit here.

16 comments:

  1. Brideshead Revisited.
    Sorry I mean Nunnington ! No ghost of Sebastian Flyte here ...
    A masterpiece; as Graham said (2014) the National Trust do a great job.

    I spotted the reference to Joshua Reynolds from nine years ago.
    His self portrait when he was going blind is haunting (hand shading his eyes).
    Reynolds met William Blake once but hardly noticed the unrecognised genius.
    Today Blake is everywhere and Reynolds hardly talked about.

    As for Father Brown, I have only seen Alec Guinness (film) and
    Kenneth More playing him.
    I believe Chesterton modelled him on a North Country priest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *The Self Portrait of Joshua Reynolds.* YouTube. Friends of Kenwood.
      *Reynolds vs Gainsborough in the Summer Exhibition.*
      YouTube. Royal Academy of Arts.

      I purchased a biography of Gainsborough by James Hamilton last week.
      Walter Pritchard my late brother's tutor at the Glasgow School of Art
      in the 1960s said his style was like Gainsborough.
      My brother never lifted a brush again after he went to Film School.

      Delete
    2. Of course I chose this post‘s title deliberately, and some years ago, my sister and I have indeed been to Castle Howard, where Brideshead was filmed. Plenty of references and ghosts of Sebastian & Co. there.

      The portrait of the lady we so admired is still there at the same spot high up on the wall. If only she could talk.

      Delete
    3. Granada TV (Manchester) under the stewardship of Sir Denis Forman did
      The Jewel in the Crown & Brideshead Revisited, lavish productions.

      Brideshead (Castle Howard) in the last scene is now a WWII military base.
      Charles Ryder (Jeremy Irons) pays a last visit to the Catholic chapel there,
      and observes that the red light on the altar is still burning.
      Waugh's faith meant everything to him; a convert like Chesterton

      Delete
  2. Oh, how perfectly beautiful! You know that I would love to see it all! Richard and I also watch Father Brown. Anything from the UK! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you‘d love it all, Kay 🤗
      We like Mark Williams. And the clothes, settings etc. in Father Brown alone are worth watching it.

      Delete
  3. Well that's somewhere I have never been - Nunnington Hall. It looks a fine place for a day out and there are plenty of delicious footpaths in that area. Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sutton Bank is not far, and the enchanted Byland Abbey is close by, too. Stop for a bite to eat in Helmsley or any of the pretty villages.

      Delete
  4. I don't think I ever made it to Nunnington Hall when I was in that part of the world. I much prefer going round by myself than guided tours, and I think the NT has got it right by using and training volunteers to answer questions. Looks as if you had rather grey weather but your photos are still nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was cloudy but the sun came through every now and then, and it was properly sunny when we were having those cheese scones in Coxwold.
      The NT manages this place very well, offering all sorts of activities (indoors and out) for families with children.

      Delete
  5. I have not been but the gardens look wonderful - I love a good herbaceous border.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Pat! It‘s beautiful in the gardens, a good mix of wild and groomed.

      Delete
  6. I can see why that place is worth more than one visit! So much to look at!
    The Coxwold tea room is lovely and their website is so well done, Meike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love revisiting places, especially when I have not been in years. That tearoom was a lovely surprise, as we didn‘t know it at all and my sister-in-law was not sure whether it was going to be open.

      Delete
  7. What a terrific day. Thank you for the info on the National Trust short term passes. I'll have to remember that next year. (And I love to revisit spots, especially when it has been a long while!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is also good to revisit a place you‘ve seen at a different time of year, I find.
      And the short term passes are a really good idea!

      Delete