Saturday 22 July 2023

Wrap Up Week

This week is not entirely over yet, but I want to get this post out of the way, so to speak. At work, I was mostly busy wrapping up things before my fortnight off, and at home, most of my getting ready for our Yorkshire Holiday will happen today. Tomorrow morning early, my sister and I will start the long trip to Ripon, more or less the same as last year - one difference being that we won't have to wear face masks if we don't want to, and we can not board the TGV in Stuttgart this time. Instead, because of the ongoing construction works, we have to travel to Esslingen first, making our journey longer.

But now, let's look at what this week has been like.

I arrived home from Offenburg on Monday (July 17) morning in time to start work at 10:00. The day was sunny without being too hot for comfort, and it was nice to meet my old school friend after work for a walk in the palace grounds. We live less than a mile apart but usually manage to see each other only a few times a year, meaning there is always plenty to catch up on.

We sat on a bench for a while, overshadowed by a grape vine.

Tuesday, July 18th, was a busy day at the office in Weilimdorf. My boss had been away for three weeks, and I was about to go away for two weeks - you can imagine we had enough topics to sort out. Hardly surprising, I was rather exhausted when I arrived home, and rested on my bed for about an hour before setting off for my customary walk to Benningen. 

A sprinkle of rain almost made me abort the walk and return home minutes after I started, but I am glad I stuck to it: The reward was a beautiful double rainbow over the fields, and a very pleasant walk. My camera only caught bits of it, though, so you have to take my word for it - it was beautiful!

Where ever these grey clouds were headed to drop their load, it was going to be welcome!

First glimpse of the rainbow

Field lane just outside Freiberg/Neckar.

You can't see it, but it was actually a double rainbow.


Looking back across the fields not long before reaching Benningen.

The very welcome rain returned later; in fact I arrived back home with the first clap of thunder.

Another busy day at the office on Wednesday (July 19). Because of a continuing breeze, it felt pleasantly cool at 27C (80.6F). Again, I rested for about 3/4 of an hour upon coming home and then felt too lazy to go for a walk, in spite of beautiful evening light. Instead, I spent a quiet evening at home watching TV, reading and playing a game on my iPad.

Thursday, July 20th, was even cooler. Although it was sunny, we only had a high of 24C (75.2F) - very nice for outdoor activities. Like last week, my sister and I met at Hi.Francky with our Mum. This time, we were lucky - the food truck was there, and we had our evening meal on the spot. It suited me perfectly, as with me being away for 12 days, of course I had not stocked up on fresh groceries the way I normally would do.

My drink is a White Portonic - white port wine with tonic water.
.
My Mum was having a Negroni Sbagliato.

Working from home on Thursday and Friday (July 21) meant I was able to finish what needed doing before my holiday. I can't tell you how good it felt to finally shut the lid on my work laptop and put it away in its bag, not to be taken out again until the 7th of August. My holiday started effectively at 2:45 pm at that very moment.

At 3:00 pm, I was at the day spa just down the road for a back and shoulders massage. The blustering wind was blowing in heavy grey clouds, and right after I was back home, more rain fell - that's twice in one week! 

It was proper rain, not just a drizzle, but did not last long. Just before 7:00 pm, the sun was back out, and the golden evening light was very enticing. I went walking for a bit more than an hour, only returning because I was getting really hungry.

To use up what fresh groceries I had in my kitchen, I sliced a zucchini, turned the slices in a plate with olive oil, salt and pepper, dusted them with flour and fried them in more olive oil. The result was a full dinner plate, and I added what was left in a jar of aubergine mousse, an organic vegan bread spread I often buy at Aldi's.


What's going on today, Saturday (22nd of July)? There's ironing to do and cleaning, and eventually, packing. Tonight, my sister and I will be at our Mum's for a good-bye meal, since we won't be seeing her for the next 12 days or so.

I will post when and if I feel like it from Ripon. The weather forecast is not brilliant, but we don't mind. We have "our" cottage there, family and friends will be met and places visited, and all will be well. "Bad" weather should mean more time and inclination to read and comment on your blogs, and post on my own :-)

13 comments:

  1. I can see the double rainbow in the 4th photo. :) Wish you a smooth journey (as far as possible) and a lovely stay in Yorkshire, whatever the weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Monica! Washing, ironing and cleaning are done; packing is next :-)

      Delete
  2. I can hear in your words how excited you are to "hit the road"! Hope you and your sister have a wonderful trip! I look forward to hearing all about it. Safe travels, Meike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ellen! We'll both heave a huge sigh of relief when we arrive at our cottage after what is going to be a very long day :-)

      Delete
  3. I know I have said it before but if you are in my neck of the woods call at 19 Dale Grove for a cuppa. I am rarely out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat - I know you really mean it, and it would be lovely to meet. But when we're out and about, it will be with my sister-in-law (maybe her daughter and/or her dog, too), since we don't have a car and won't venture further than where the 36 bus between Ripon and Harrogate can take us.
      If you happen to be in Ripon between tomorrow and the 3rd of August, let me know - there are many nice places for a cuppa, last but not least "our" cottage.

      Delete
  4. Off to Ripon for a well-deserved holiday. Librarians need time away.
    A double rainbow brings good fortune or let's tell ourselves it does.
    Scudding rainclouds (second photo) are on their way to the Vale of Avalon.
    The skies near Benningen bestow a blessing. You keep looking back.
    Degas the painter said: * Let us praise the light. It is a consolation. *

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took that second photo because I found the contrast between the golden field lit up by the slanting evening light and the dark clouds irresistible.
      For me, looking back along the path I've come during a walk is almost as important as looking ahead.
      Yes, light is a consolation. My Mum could write a book about what it means to her.

      Delete
    2. A walk before dusk is a good way of saying goodbye to the day.
      These long Scottish days are what I remember in the wet windy winter.
      My late brother said you don't see skies like ours (and yours) in Los Angeles.
      Your mother must write the book about German light, you can be editor.
      James Campbell, an old friend, said you need a motor engine to write a book.
      Jim's memoir *Just Go Down to the Road* mentions me and Glasgow.
      He got quite a few things wrong, saying I had never been further than Ireland.
      I was in France & Belgium at 15, France & Spain at 19, 3 times in Ireland.
      Melissa Harrison wrote a book called *Rain*. Why not *German Light* ?

      Delete
    3. By motor engine Jim means an inner internal combustion engine.
      A YouTuber *Shaelin Writes* is good on writing stamina. She also does *reedsy*.

      Delete
    4. German light? Like air and clouds, rain and wind, there is nothing ‚German‘ or otherwise national about it. My Mum fought the encroaching darkness of the last few years with my Dad (especially the last two) with light - she was never without candles and other lights burning of an evening, the more, the better. December with its long dark nights especially.

      As for writing, I know I lack the stamina of a book. That‘s why blogging is ideal for me. I would love to be an editor.

      Delete
    5. No need to be so literal minded, Meike.
      I often speak of Scottish light (summer) when it hardly gets dark at all.
      In the Cotswolds I'll point to dreich clouds saying *That's a Glasgow sky.*
      Scottish painters talk of Northern Light coming through their studio windows.

      There is also the psychological perception of light unique to every culture.
      Two books titled *Nordic Light* : one on architecture the other on cuisine.
      *Another Light* : Danish painting. Surely there can be Baltic light ?
      There is Mediterranean light: the south of France where painters go.

      *Light in Germany - Scenes from an unknown enlightenment* by TJ Reed.
      Published in 2015. Always meant to order a copy.

      Delete
    6. I agree - there are differences in the light of certain regions, latitudes and seasons.

      Delete