Tuesday 19 July 2022

Smooth Journey

Saturday, July 16, was our trip to Ripon - all done by train, except for the last 15 minutes or so from Harrogate.

We started with about an hour to spare from our hometown. Actually, the train journey from Ludwigsburg to Stuttgart takes just a bit more than 10 minutes, but there have been so many problems with trains there recently, that we did not want to risk anything and were there rather early. 



The TGV to Paris Est arrived on time and left Stuttgart with us and our luggage on board, and only about 5 minutes delay - for the German railway, anything under 6 minutes does not even count as delay. 

A few hours later, we got off the TGV and followed the signs to Gare du Nord, only a 10 minute walk away. There, we had an hour or so time for the check in process and border control, first the French authorities and then the British ones. Our brandnew passports came into use, our tickets were stamped and eventually, we were allowed on board the Eurostar.





It left on time but we had two unplanned service stops along the way, both lasting only a few minutes but meaning a total delay of 15 minutes. No problem for us - we had planned our journey generously enough to allow for much longer delays, and still ended up with having about two hours in London.

Before reaching that point, the Euro Tunnel had to be crossed - a first for both of us. I say Euro Tunnel because that was what I saw on the wall just as we entered. The official name is Channel Tunnel, and you can read all the facts such as length, depth and so on here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channel_Tunnel

The roughly 20 minutes inside the tunnel were totally unremarkable. You see nothing but black through the windows; unlike other railway tunnels, there are hardly any lights. You can hear the noise the train makes, and I am pretty sure that at some stage I heard the rumble of another train passing ours, and something that probably had to do with ventilation. Most of the time, I shut my eyes and tried not to dwell on how deep underneath the Sea we were. I freely admit that it was my least favourite part of the journey, but over quick enough to be easily bearable.

Changing from St. Pancras to King‘s Cross in London was even easier than in Paris - just across the road, really. We now had plenty of time and found a place for a leisurely coffee and a flapjack (me) and brownie (my sister). We enjoyed watching people of all sorts walk by, and eventually went to our train to Leeds. It was on the dot and very modern - we could even have ordered snacks and drinks via our phones, to be brought directly to our seats. But there was no need for that, as my sister had made sandwiches for both of us, and we had plenty of water with us.






Looking out at the slowly changing countryside moving northwards from London, it was obvious that this beautiful island has been suffering as much from lack of rain as the continent. Further north, the landscape started to look a little greener.

In Leeds, changing trains for the last time was even easier, as we know that station quite well. Again, the local train was on time, and it was good to see the familiar names of the places that train stops at on its way to Harrogate.

My sister-in-law met us there at the station, and I am not ashamed to say that I welled up on seeing her - last time we saw each other was in March 2019!

The drive to Ripon was so familiar, and entering the town felt like coming home. We found our cottage ready for us and had mugs of tea with Angela before unpacking and finally calling it a day.


The photos on this post are a combination of my own and my sister‘s. There will be of course many, many more in the days (and probably weeks) to come.

24 comments:

  1. Welcome! Trains are great when they work well, and the 2-year-old Azuma trains on the London-Leeds route are good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We were quite impressed with that new train. In all the years I have been coming to England, I have rarely experienced train trouble. But then again, my travel times are usually not classic communiting times.

      Delete
  2. Glad to see you made it safely and efficiently. Soon the weather will change as well from the last two days of heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is already much cooler today. The last two days were ok for us because we do not have to work here, but nights were a bit of a struggle as our rooms can not be ventilated as well as we‘d like to.

      Delete
  3. Great news to know your journey went well and you are now ensconced in your favorite Yorkshire cottage. Glad it's somewhat cooler up north. Wishing you both a wonderful holiday after such a long wait. I know that feeling only too well. Hugs from both Bob and me xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not really been cooler here, Mary; we had 38 or 39 C here yesterday, and 36/37 on Monday - unheard of in North Yorkshire! But not working makes a difference, of course; there was a long siesta yesterday afternoon, and a short walk after tea last night when it was down to 28/29C.
      Hugs back to you both!
      M x

      Delete
  4. I am glad, that everything worked so well. Enjoy every minute of your holiday, my dear daughters!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great that you knew where you were going as you made all of those train connections sound easy! How fun to travel with your sister and I hope you have good weather for your vacation! Safe travels, Meike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn‘t actually know where we were going in Paris and London, but it really was easy. Being able to read signs is an advantage 😊

      Delete
  6. I am so pleased that your long rail journey passed by according to plan. Did you see me waving at you as your Leeds bound train headed out of King's Cross? Now that you are back in Ripon, I hope you are enjoying the summer weather though as I look outside from our study at 9.45pm I see some threatening clouds assembling. We haven't had any proper rain in ages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you were that waving figure!
      We won‘t mind rain; the land really needs it badly, and we have no problem with a day or two spent indoors (in the shops or at the cottage).

      Delete
  7. Quite a change to see dear St Pancras & King's Cross on your blog.
    I know how long you have dreamed of this moment, this journey.
    Great photographs. You are a beautiful woman.
    J Haggerty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was our first time in London - even if only for two hours - since 2007! We quite enjoyed that brief stop and are thinking about a longer visit some time, now that we know how comparatively easy it is to reach by train.

      Delete
  8. Welcome back to England. So glad the journey went smoothly. Looking forward to seeing where you visit. Can highly recommend the Workhouse, Fountains Abbey and Bolton Castle, Middleham Castle and Bolton Abbey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathy! Apart from Bolton Castle and Abbey, we‘ve been to all the places you mention, and many more - there are some firm favourites we HAVE to visit every time we‘re here, Fountains being top of the list. We went there on Monday, pictures will be in my next post!

      Delete
  9. So happy your travels went well. Know how happy you must be to be back in the UK seeing those you love and spending time in well remembered places. I've taken the Eurostar from London to Paris and back again. From London, it was the first train of the day (wintertime) so it was dark out when we left and I hardly noticed going through the tunnel. Hoping to take it again in April when my UK friends and I plan to meet up in Paris. Love train travel in the UK and Europe. Not so much in the US, though I used to take the Acela (fast train) from DC to NYC for work back in the day and it is sleek like the Azuma. At any rate, enjoy your time in UK. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary! I don‘t know why, but somehow I had expected something a bit more spectacular when entering the tunnel and not just a plaque on the wall that I caught quite by chance as I was looking out of that side of the window right at that moment. When things go as smoothly as they did for us that day, I love train travel, too!

      Delete
  10. What a lot of trains! Still, Australia is over 20 hours from England so I am very jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Changing trains broke the long day up nicely and gave us a chance to stretch our kegs every now and then.

      Delete
    2. Kegs?! That should have been legs, of course! 🤣

      Delete
  11. I'm so glad that everything went well and you are now in Ripon ready for a wonderful holiday. I've never been on the Eurostar as a passenger just with the car on the car train. I thought it was the best ever way of getting to France quickly and easily. I wonder how easy it is now that there are customs controls.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not quite sure why I suddenly became Anonymous in the last comment but it really was me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You‘re not the only one, Graham; others suddenly appear as anonymous, too.
      As for customs, I suppose there will be a similar procedure for cars as for train passengers; our passports were checked twice and our bags went through a scanner like the ones they use at airports.

      Delete