Friday 15 July 2022

Guest Post By My Mum: Lasagne Recipe

As several of you were asking about my Mum's lasagne recipe, here it is, as written down by my Mum herself:


Vegetable Lasagne, my recipe:

Take fresh vegetables, what ever you have: beans, peas, carrots, spinach, onions etc. and boil them until not too soft.
Make a tomato sauce, best from fresh tomatoes, with garlic and onions and herbs. (If it's not tomato season, take a can of peeled tomatoes.)

Also make a white Bechamel sauce: For this I melt butter and olive oil, then stir in 2-3 table spoons of flour. Pour 350 ml milk, always stirring; add salt and pepper; 2 or 3 spoons of cream will make the sauce still better.

You need at least 200 g of a good grated cheese, whatever you like. I mostly take half parmesan and half gouda.

Take a big enough oven dish,  grease with olive oil or butter, and then put in the ingredients in layers:
1. tomato sauce
2. vegetables
3. bechamel sauce
4. cheese
5. pasta sheets
Repeat until nothing is left, last layer has to be pasta sheets, and cheese on top of that.
Heat the oven to 200 C, put the lasagne on the middle tray and bake for about 25-30 minutes. The cheese must be melted - you'll see and smell when it's ready.
Then enjoy your meal!

- - - End of guest post - - -

As I mentioned before, it is the best vegetable lasagne EVER, and I was able to enjoy some of it last week, when this picture was taken. Needless to say, it goes VERY well with a glass of chilled rosé or white wine; on a colder day, of course a glass of red (at room temperature) will be perfect.

And now comes something I believe not all of you will appreciate: A small personal rant of mine.

So, so many times I read on blogs and in comments written by American or British native speakers/writers the word "lasagna".
Well, the correct spelling for the dish is lasagne (to be precise: lasagne al forno), with an e at the end, not an a - lasagna being the singular for one single sheet of pasta used in a lasagne, but no native Italian speaker would use the term for the dish. (At least not to my knowledge, and since I used to be part of a Sicilian family for 10 years and am fluent in Italian, I think I would have come across it if it were the case.) 
Feel free to look it up on wikipedia for a more official opinion.
I know I am being picky and possibly over-critical, and I apologise for any offence this may cause, but I simply can not let the wrong spelling take over without trying to do my bit to make it right :-)

Rant over. Last but not least - whatever spelling you prefer, it is delicious, and I will enjoy it to the full every time my Mum makes it! :-)

12 comments:

  1. You are correct about the spelling - I'm one of the group who have been spelling it incorrectly, sorry, and when I look up recipes I notice so many cooks/chefs do use Lasagna rather than Lasagne! My Italian is so minimal, envy you speaking that beautiful language fluently.
    Thanks for your mum's great recipe - just wondering though, does she not add any flour to the butter/oil roux prior to adding the warmed milk to thicken the Béchamel sauce?

    Enjoy this coming weekend and stay cool - I'm thinking you must be getting ready for your trip to England, right?
    Hugs, Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she adds flour - it was a misunderstanding (see her comment and my reply below), and I will amend it in the post instantly.
      My work is wrapped up for the next two weeks, my flat is clean and my suitcase nearly packed; the last items to go in will of course be toiletries tomorrow morning.
      As for staying cool - we'll try our best :-D

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the recipe! and thanks for the spelling correction. My Mom was Italian so I should know better! Now I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Ellen! I know I can be quite annoying when it comes to spelling and grammar... but I can't help it, sometimes I just HAVE to say something.

      Delete
  3. Sorry, of course you have to add 2 - 3 soupspoons flavour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's what you meant, Mum - flour (Mehl), not flavour (Geschmack). I didn't understand it in your email and didn't have time to ask this morning when I wrote up the post, but I shall add it to the post now. Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Sorry! I wrote the wrong word. It is several years ago, that I learned English.....;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Mum. It was more my mistake than yours, I should have guessed what you mean - or asked about it; it was just such a busy day yesterday I didn't really have time.

      Delete
  5. I immediately had to check how I spell lasagne. Unfortunately I've not been consistent but there does not seem to be any pattern to my inconsistency.. My close friend, Anna, who is a Scottish Italian (and a former teacher) usually refers to a lasagne but then refers to lasagna in general in her messages. I've just tried to work my way through it all. I shale try and remember to follow your advice in future. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there were a pattern to your inconsistency, it would be consistent... :-)
      Like most people, I am not always consistent in all my spelling (or use of grammar, for that matter). But it is still good to know how it should be, isn't it.

      Delete
  6. We even have the lasagne sheets in gluten free too, so I should be able to make it. HA HA, the computer is telling me that I spelled it wrong but we KNOW, don't we? Thanks to your MUM for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much for artificial intelligence :-D We know better than the computer!

      Delete