Tuesday 12 July 2022

High Summer

We're still only at the beginning of July; technically, the start of summer is not far behind. And yet it feels and looks as if we're in high summer, what with many fields already harvested and more to follow, cherry season over and everything else pointing towards the most abundant time of the year in my part of the world when it comes to fruit, vegetables and crops.

Monday, July 4, was a sunny day with few clouds; not too hot, and so I met up with an old friend for a walk in the palace grounds. We've known each other for about 45 years, and there is always plenty to talk about.

Another pleasant day of 25-27C followed on Tuesday, July 5. My running buddy and I have become walking buddies, and we met early before work for an hour of brisk walking (and chatting) on the fields.

After work, I had my hair cut - it is amazing how quick I am in and out of there, now that I do not have it coloured any longer! Still, it is always a good occasion for catching up on local news, since my hairdresser is also my neighbour and she knows almost everybody in our immediate neighbourhood.

I was in the mood for more walking and went on one of my standard after work walks later; those evenings with many hours of daylight are so good for that, and in a few more weeks they will be over. You can see from the pictures I took on that walk that it really is high summer now:


Wednesday, July 6, saw me working on-site in Marbach during the morning and from home in the afternoon. I went to see my parents after work; actually, I had cheekily invited myself for dinner when my Mum mentioned she had made her famous world best vegetable lasagne - someone had to help with the leftovers, right? We spent a chatty and comfortable couple of hours together, and since there was still more than an hour left until sunset, I went for a walk on the fields closest to their house. The evening light was beautiful, and I only returned home at 10:00 pm when it was nearly dark.












Another day of on-site work was Thursday, July 7. There was some rain in the afternoon - not much, but better than nothing - and just enough time for a lunchtime walk with my client; no after-work walk, because we had our fortnightly meeting with my voluntary work.

For the first time in many months, I met with my "girl" friends (we are all in our 40s and 50s, so hardly girls!) on Friday, July 8. It was good to see them and to catch up with each other's news from the last half year or more. The food was alright but we all agreed that the restaurant was not one we were going to visit again anytime soon.

Saturday and Sunday of that week deserve a post of their own :-) 

15 comments:

  1. Those evening skies are so fabulous to see. I would love the recipe to your Mom's veggie lasagna since you made it sound so delicious! Have you posted it before?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stop to look all the time when I'm out walking under such beautiful skies.
      No, I have not posted a lasagne recipe before; not sure if my Mum really has a recipe for it. I imagine it is mostly just using what she has in terms of fresh veg at that moment, but if she does indeed have a recipe, I am sure she will be happy to share it.

      Delete
  2. I just know your Mum's vegetable lasagna probably is the 'best in the world' - will she share her recipe by chance? You've stayed busy despite the hot weather, your travels to O.K.'s village, and 'minding the store' at the fete! Hotter than hell here too - but getting some late afternoon rains at last which are saving the garden and grass areas. We're out to meet up with others for a quick drink early evening - but will come home to eat as I'm trying to stay away from restaurants for a while. With all the fresh summer vegs etc. available I just like cooking at home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As for the lasagne, see my reply to Ellen above :-)
      It's been warm last week, but not so hot as to stop all activities. And as long as it cools down during the nights, making sleep possible and getting fresh air into the house in the early morning hours, I'm fine.
      Fresh summer veg and fruit are the best!

      Delete
  3. These long warm summer evenings are so beautiful and your photos capture the mood so well, And a bit of Mum's home cooking - now that is really special!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear, my message above has come up as anonymous when it should have stated share my garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not the only one, several others keep having that problem when commenting on blogs.
      Anyway, yes, my Mum's cooking is always great, and to round the evening off with a sunset walk was just perfect.

      Delete
  5. Your mom's homemade vegetable lasagna sounds delicious. And as usual, your pictures of your walks are beautiful. Did I tell you that my friend Martina (that I went away with last weekend) was born in Germany and has dual citizenship? She's been planning a visit with her mom to see her 92 year old gran since 2019...Covid has ruined the plans for more than two years now. I never can remember what part of Germany she's from, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer!
      You have mentioned Martina several times on your blog, but I don't remember having read that she was born in Germany. Hopefully, she can visit her gran this year! Same here about plans to see family; I have not seen my folks in Yorkshire since 2019, either. My mother-in-law is 88 now and who knows how long she'll still be around.

      Delete
  6. As always it was lovely to accompany you as I was having my breakfast. I took my mind off the cold weather here and the dull skies. At least it's not windy today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow I have spottet your comment from last week only now - sorry about that! Good to know my post was able to do that for you.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a good week. The views are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laura! It was a good mix of work and play.

      Delete