Saturday 23 July 2022

Wednesday

The day after the hottest day on record was Wednesday, the 20th of July. Although our rooms were still very warm and we had not slept all that well, outside it was much more pleasant at 25C, and it cooled down even further in the course of the day.

After breakfast on the bench in front of the cottage and a leisurely morning, we met our friends George and Lilian (you may remember George Pickles, former Hornblower of Ripon) at The Water Rat for lunch.
We spent a most enjoyable couple of hours with them; plenty to laugh and talk about. I had a bacon and brie sandwich and was thinking of you, Pat!

In the afternoon, we browsed a few book shops, and of course we did not leave our favourite, The Little Ripon Book Shop, empty handed.

Coffee, cookies and a siesta were next. In the early evening, we went for a walk, this time to the Leper Chapel, a place that has featured repeatedly on my blog throughout the years.




The day ended with a delicious meal of salad and rosé, followed by an old episode of Lewis (always good to watch), and the night finally brought some rain.

20 comments:

  1. What a nice day. 😊

    Bacon and brie sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plenty of bacon but have not had Brie for ages - shall put it on my order.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful day. Love Bacon and Brie, yum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recall your descriptions of George Pickles. The name (a very Yorkshire name) has been made famous bey being attached to some pretty colourful people over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always lovely to meet them, they are great company.

      Delete
  5. Glad it's cooling a bit now - hope it helps with restful sleep.
    Re: the ants! They are very, very tiny and somehow get in the house during the hot/dry weather looking for moisture. We had our quarterly professional spray however they still came into the kitchen through two electrical outlets grrr!!! Gone now - yes, murder I guess!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sleep is definitely easier now. It is a bit warmer today so I shall dare to go in capri jeans and a sleeveless top, but will not leave the house without a cardie.

      Delete
  6. It wouldn't be far for us to come to Ripon to find you (cup of tea and cake) but you can safely relax because I have to isolate at present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that, Tasker. You‘d be very welcome to meet us here.

      Delete
  7. From your writing, it is easy to tell that you are savouring your days. May the rest of your holiday be filled with good times and lovely memories. Nice weather wouldn't be too much to ask for either. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather has been something of a mixed bag since those two very hot days, but we are prepared for rain and cooler temperatures as well as sunny days.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a nice relaxing day. Can't recall if I already said, but we had a couple of extremely hot days too this week, when I mostly had to shut myself in. (34'C in the shadow may be a new record for me where I live.) But then we had thunder and the temperature gradually dropped. (I'm grateful we did not get up to heat like that during my week away.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back home in Germany, the heat has not relented; my parents are coping relatively well but O.K. says he‘s really had enough now. It is exhausting when you have to work during the day but can‘t sleep properly at night.

      Delete
  9. The leper Chapel is a new one to me. Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has appeared a few times on my blog before, and I am sure I also have picture of the inside.

      Delete
  10. I looked up the leper chapel, some interesting history!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good that it is still/again used as a chapel today.

      Delete