Tuesday 25 July 2023

A Perfect First Day

Yesterday, Monday (July 24), was our first full day here in Ripon - Sunday can not really count, since we only arrived at 9:00 pm.

We woke up to morning sun, still feeling somewhat exhausted after the long trip, but happy to be here.


First thing we needed to do basic food shopping, so a walk to Aldi was in order. After breakfast, we checked in with Mary, my mother-in-law. She lives a 15 minute walk from the cottage, and on the way, we had our first view of the cathedral. Coming round the bend of Kirkgate and seeing the beautiful front of that magnificent building for the first time after a whole year is special - one of those ‘welcome back’ moments.


Leaving Mary, we briefly popped back to our cottage; soon, we were on our way to Fountains Abbey.

The weather forecast made it look as if this was going to be our best chance, and so we lost no time. 

That walk is one we have done so often I can easily play it step by step, corner after corner in my mind, something I do occasionally when I can‘t sleep or want to calm my mind.

Lawrence House in Studley Roger

Gate to the Studley and Fountains estate

Walking through the deer park, I was looking at it with the beautiful pictures from the book ‘Still Time to Wonder’ in mind, which my sister had given me a couple of months ago and which I have reviewed here.

Close to the church (St. Mary‘s), we spotted a large group of stags. They were big and beautiful, and especially one of them was truly impressive - I don‘t think I have ever seen a stag with such enormous antlers!

Inside the small, beautifully and unusually decorated church, the organist was practicing. We sat in a pew and listened for a while, until he ended his session with Amazing Grace. A wonderful experience, and the first time in all our visits that we heard the organ.




A bit more than an hour after setting off, we reached the visitor centre where we had a delicious light lunch before continuing on to the abbey grounds. 

Fountains Hall is always our first stop, and this time, the summer house and garden looked particularly nice.







Next was Fountains Mill, and then the vast spread of the abbey‘s ruins.








Not too many people were about on this beautiful Monday, but nearly every family or small group had one or more dogs with them.




We arrived back at the cottage late afternoon with about 13 km under our feet and had a bit of a rest before preparing our evening meal, and eventually settled down in front of the telly. I also spoke to O.K. - facetime is a good thing when you want to talk to and see your loved ones far away.

It had been a really wonderful day, the perfect start of our Yorkshire Holiday!

20 comments:

  1. I loved your photographs - it is years since I was there. Magnificent blue hardy geranium in a couple of your garden photographs. I have it in my garden and it is absolutely full of flowers. Enjoy your stay. No rain up here today so hope it is the same where you are - the sun is really warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Pat, yes, it was a nice day yesterday, really warm in the sun but I needed my cardigan when a cloud was passing. The garden in front of Fountains Hall is the right mix of groomed and wild for me, always beautiful. I didn‘t know those flowers are geraniums, they look so different from the common red ones.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this, so lovely to see all your photos - although they do make me feel rather homesick! We are hoping to come to the Dales sometime in the next month. Meanwhile have a wonderful holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure who you are, Anonymous, but thank you! I hope you‘ll have a wonderful time in the Dales.

      Delete
    2. Didn't mean to be anonymous, it keeps happening. Rosemary, Share my garden.

      Delete
    3. Happens to me, too; blogger acting up on me.
      Hopefully you will post pictures of your time in the Dales!

      Delete
  3. Wow! You are off to a great start! Lovely photos and beautiful weather for a lot of walking. Hope your stay continues to be wonderful, Meike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ellen - it has been nothing but good so far.

      Delete
  4. Everyone should have a second home.
    Yours is Ripon and its countryside. Thanks for giving us all a Perfect Day.
    The stags near St Mary's, seen from a distance ... quite thrilling.
    Ninth photo is deep England : Cathedral & grand house across the fields.
    And I want to stand beside that mighty tree, put my hand on its sunny bark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because of O.K. and my frequent weekends there, Hofweier is now my second home, and Ripon my second-second one (not wanting to relegate it to 3rd).
      Those stags were truly something!
      You seem to be really ‘getting’ what I see in that tree, Jack. Thank you.

      Delete
  5. Glad you got such a good first day. As I've probably told you more than once already, I visited the Fountains Abbey ruins myself back in my teens (on holiday by car with my family) - and always enjoy "revisiting" with you as well ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Monica, I remember, and I am pleased that you have been to this extraordinary and wonderful place, too :-)

      Delete
  6. So glad to have been with you on your return trip to Ripon. It is more than a delight to walk along with you on your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jill, long time no see! I hope you are well.
      You are very welcome to join me!

      Delete
  7. Loved all this and 'seeing' what you and your sis viewed - all so interesting and English!!!!
    Thanks for sharing - hope every day is perfect for your visit.
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be English as it‘s all in England 😁
      Today is our fourth day here, and all is well with us, even the weather plays along.
      M x

      Delete
  8. Fountains Abbey, sigh...I thank you for sharing the majesty and beauty of it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Majesty and beauty are the best terms to describe that beautiful place. It used to be called The Wonder of the North.

      Delete
  9. It sounds like a lovely day. Fountains Hall (which I haven't visited) reminded me of Burton Agnes Hall, a wonderful house which is quite a lot east of Ripley. https://www.burtonagnes.com/ Having compared their photos though, I think the main similarity between them was only the mullioned windows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen signs for Burton Agnes but never been there, as for places without a convenient bus service we depend on someone who can take us by car. Fountains Hall is much more impressive outside than in.

      Delete