Friday 28 July 2023

Ripley

Wednesday morning saw us taking the 10:27 bus from Ripon to Ripley. The bus ride alone was nice, passing so many familiar places.

The Fizzy Fox (a clothes and accessories shop which I like purely for its shop sign - you can see it in this post) was our first stop. Once again we wondered how it can keep running. Are there really enough ladies buying expensive silk blouses and designer t-shirts out in a tiny village like Ripley? 

Next was the church, but we didn‘t linger, as there was a coffee morning in progress and it felt odd walking around with the natter and chatter in the back.

Browsing gift shops is fun, although we rarely buy anything. Nothing this time, either. We finally bought our tickets for the grounds and gardens and went exploring.








The walled gardens are beautiful no matter the time of year, and always warmer than anywhere else in the grounds.









A wide loop across the pastures (deer and cows live there, but we did not see either) took us back to the castle.







By now it was lunch time, and we had a pleasant hour with good food and friendly service at the tearoom. Does anyone know the TV series Shakespeare & Hathaway? Our waiter had a voice just like the character of Sebastian in the series! Wasps were a nuisance, but miraculously they kept away while we had food on the table.

A stroll through Ripley and a visit to the village shop (very well stocked and nicely kept) followed, then it was time for the bus back to Ripon.

Back at the cottage, we were ready for a little nap before going for a quick stock-up of groceries at Aldi‘s. I then went to see Mary, walking back after my visit to the sound of the cathedral bells - the bell ringers practice on Wednesday nights.

It was my sister‘s turn to make our tea, which consisted of salad, spaghetti and tomato sauce and a nice velvety Merlot.

Winding down in front of the telly with the rest of the wine was a good ending to another good day.

28 comments:

  1. Many years ago there was a children's television series called "The Flaxton Boys" which I believe was filmed at Ripley Castle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I‘ve not heard of the series, so thank you! It may be on youtube, I‘ll check it out.

      Delete
  2. I used to meet a friend regularly at Ripley - mid way betwee n me in The Dale and her in Knaresborough. Sadly we are both too ancient to drive any more. I am ashamed to say I have never been in the walled garden. I was comforted to see that flower-wise it seems to be between seasons - as is my garden. Thank goodness for hardy geraniums and crocosmia say I.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must have been nice to meet there with your friend. The high summer colours in the gardens (not just of the castle but also of private homes in Ripley) were beautiful.

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed your tour of Ripley. It is always fun to see places that I will never get a chance to visit in person. I am glad the weather is cooperating with your vacation, Meike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for coming along, Ellen! Like you, I enjoy visiting places I will probably never see in person via blogs.

      Delete
  4. I am enjoying keeping up with your visit to Yorkshire. Thank you for publishing while you are here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and commenting, Rachel! If I waited posting about my holiday until I‘m back home, I‘d never manage to catch up.

      Delete
  5. Looks and sounds like you had another good day! (And I do know the series Shakespeare and Hathaway!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you have a pretty goog idea of what our waiter was like 😊

      Delete
  6. The walled garden is a place of enchantment.
    I like the fifth photo down, wild flowers in the long grass.
    It is just above the photo of the rosy brick gatepost which is like an open invitation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does indeed feel like an enchanted, secret garden, hidden away from the world.

      Delete
  7. Like others I am very much enjoying having a virtual holiday with you .
    Siobhan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Siobhan! Sorry but I can‘t remember whether we have ‚met‘ before or not.

      Delete
    2. I regular read but don’t often comment - it’s been a very difficult couple of years culminating in my husbands death from cancer in March
      Siobhan x

      Delete
    3. I am very sorry to hear that, Siobhan. As a regular reader, you know what last year was like for my family, and that I can fully sympathise. Please accept my condolences.

      Delete
  8. What a perfect day, so enjoyable to come along and share your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing your holiday with us! I wish I was there, the weather looks lovely (vs here where it is beastly hot and humid with it.).

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither hot nor humid here - apart from a sprinkle of rain every now and then, but that‘s necessary to keep everything so lush and green.

      Delete
  10. I think it must be wonderful to have a walled garden.
    And I laughed right out loud at the picture of you in that big chair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A walled garden is great for growing things that need warmth and don‘t want too much wind. Imagine a nice bench and table, sit out there with a book and something to drink and maybe a sandwich, and that would be me sorted for an entire afternoon.

      Delete
  11. Love you in that big chair! The walled garden, how I would LOVE that! Reminds me of one of my favorite books, "The Secret Garden". Say hello to Mary from your blogging friends! And also to all of Yorkshire, you really make me want to see it. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very much like in the book, Kay - and of course you know that the book is set in Yorkshire. Have you ever read the sequel?

      Delete
  12. Is that Ripley castle? I don't think I've ever been. I suspect there are lots of rich folk in the villages around Ripley. Rishi Sunak doesn't live far away in a mansion. Areas like that often have rather interesting charity shops, (although I don't think I remember you mentioning any, so they may not be your scene. )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it‘s Ripley Castle. We were inside for a guided tour years ago, but have stuck to the grounds and gardens since.
      Ripon has a charity shop at every corner, and I have bought items in two of them this year.

      Delete
  13. I'm so enjoying your travels here. I've never been to this part of England and it makes me want to add it to the itinerary one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you would not regret it if you came here for a holiday, Jeanie!

      Delete