Thursday 3 August 2023

Fountains Abbey Again

On Monday, we decided on a second visit to Fountains Abbey. We love the place, can easily reach it on foot, and had our short term passes for the National Trust so did not have to pay admission.

The sky was grey and it was not exactly warm at 19 C, but not cold, either.
We reached the visitor centre around lunch time and found a table at the restaurant to enjoy a meal (Cornish pasty for me this time) before entering the grounds once more.

You already know quite well what Fountains Hall, Fountains Mill, the ruins of Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal water garden look like - they have appeared often enough on my blog. Still, you have to bear with me for a few more photos of this wonderful place.






This time, we chose not to walk through the abbey but follow one of the upper paths that take you through woodland and past several follies, such as the octagonal tower.


The tearoom on Studley lake was our next stop, but we only had coffee/tea, no cakes or anything else. From there, it is just a short way around the lake to the start of Seven Bridges valley, the „rougher“ end of the deer park.




It is possible to walk at the bottom of the valley, leave the Studley Royal estate through a gate and walk across fields and past farms back into Ripon. But a drizzle had set in by now, and we simply went back on the same route we had come.

Back in town, we stopped at Booths supermarket to get just the few things we needed for the evening. At the cottage, we had quiche and salad for our tea. Later, we watched an episode of Brokenwood Mysteries, a series unknown to us but one I may look for on my streaming services back home.

10 comments:

  1. I am a librarian too, a forty year career in California in all manner of libraries. What a wonderful place to visit, Fountains Abbey, in this blog post. Did you mean you can walk there from your home? I do love the folly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, fellow Librarian!
      Yes, we can walk there in about an hour from our holiday cottage.
      It is a walk I sometimes repeat in my mind when I can not sleep - it usually helps.

      Delete
  2. You're having a great time, aren't you? :) I love all the photos, as usual. When do you return to Germany?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jennifer, we are! Going back tomorrow…

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful visit you have had! You did just the right amount of exploring, visiting, and relaxing. Wishing you safe travels home, Meike!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did have a bit of a pang when I saw your walk today. I do love that area as you know. The Brokenwood Mysteries are very good in my humble opinion. I've watched every one since they started many more than once. Pure escapism and some wonderful characters. Of course for me the New Zealand setting is a big plus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine you watch Brokenwood with very different eyes than me, since you have lived in NZ for so long, and I have never been there. But that is actually contributing to me finding it interesting, as it makes a change of scene (and of faces) to the UK-based series I watch.

      Delete
  5. Fountains Abbey, please give it to me again and again and again! I see that Graham said that he had a bit of a pang when he read this post because he loves that area so much. For me, it is a great sense of longing...I do so wish I could see it! I think I would have liked it even on a cool, grey day-that never bothered me one bit when I was in England! For one thing, it can keep the crowds away! And when you spoke of having a Cornish pasty, well that means I have another longing! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fountains is wonderful in all seasons and all weather. Of course it is nicer to walk there when it's dry, not too cold or windy, but we really didn't mind the rain that day. As you say, it keeps the crowds away - which in a way is ironic, since we are part of "the crowd" - and we are necessary to keep it all going with our admission fees, donations and whatever money we spend at the shop, tearooms etc.

      Delete