Saturday 5 August 2023

Yorkshire Day

The 1st of August is Yorkshire Day, as some of you will know from other blogs, such as Neil's. This year, we were of course still in Ripon on that day, which turned out to be very windy but mostly sunny at 21C (69.8F).

We needed some groceries for the rest of the week, so our first outing was to Aldi's, followed by one last lunch at Oliver's Pantry, taken in their sunny back garden.

Back at the cottage, we rested for a while before having coffee/tea on the bench in front of the house. Next was a quick trip to the bookshop, where my sister bought two more books she had seen there before but had not yet decided on buying.

Shortly before 5:00 pm, we walked to Littlethorpe where my sister-in-law A and her family live. It is only about 35 minutes on foot from our cottage, and much of it is rather pleasant, through Ripon first and then across the bypass and along fields.

A is a childminder, and by 5:00 her young charges were all gone. She was expecting us for a cup of tea, and we were joined by her daughter and her (the daughter's) boyfriend. Her dog was also with us - Ruby never barks, looks at you adoringly whenever you pet her, and is no trouble at all.
A's husband was still out working (he and his brothers have a dairy farm, looking after 500 cows if I remember correctly), and we never got a chance to see him during this year's stay.

Eventually, we walked back to the cottage for our evening meal. I also chatted to O.K. via facetime for a while. 

So far, this year I had not yet been to watch the Hornblower. I won't go into detail of the ceremony - you can read that here when I first wrote about in 2012. Maybe you remember that my sister and I were friends with George Pickles, former Hornblower, who sadly and unexpectedly died last year (only about 4 weeks after we'd met up with him and his wife).
Anyway, I knew that tonight was my last chance to see the Setting of the Watch, and so I quickly walked to the market square a few minutes before 9:00 pm.

A surprisingly large number of people was gathering around the obelisk; maybe not so surprising considering that it was a) Yorkshire Day and b) some people were probably still in town from the weekend, which had seen the St. Wilfrid's Parade and other festivities.

The bells from the cathedral announced 9:00 pm, and a bearded, dignified man in the familiar Hornblower uniform stepped across the square towards the obelisk. He looked at the group, made a tiny bow and introduced himself: "Hello, my name is Patricio, and I am your Hornblower tonight." That was unexpected - but in this day and age, the Hornblower does not necessarily have to be a Yorkshire man (or woman).
His English was flawless; only with certain words one could detect a hint of what I took for a Spanish accent. He performed the Setting of the Watch just how it should be done, and very briefly recounted the history of this tradition.
Then he announced that he was now going to leave the "stage" for the Mummers who had been standing nearby. They were still in town from the weekend (St. Wilfrid's Parade, again), and I remembered them from 2016, when I posted about them. I am no fan of Mummers and would have preferred the Hornblower to say more; usually, the Hornblowers ask the crowd where they are from, and stand ready for photographs etc. But in this case, the Mummers had precedence, and I went home only 10 minutes or so after I had come.

Never mind - I did get to see the Hornblower, and in this small way, marked the day as Yorkshire Day for me.

13 comments:

  1. I am ashamed to say thatin the thirty three years I have lived here I have never been down to see the Hornblower. I don't suppose I ever shall now;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can watch videos on Youtube of George Pickles (and probably newer ones with the current Hornblowers) Setting the Watch, for instance this one:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHzFljlJ_mc

      Delete
  2. I hope you had your fat rascals and Yorkshire curd tart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I did not. But during our stay, several flapjacks were consumed. We also had millionaire's shortbread and other delicious things from the local Thomas the Baker; I know these are not typical Yorkshire, but they were really nice.

      Delete
  3. A Spaniard as Hornblower sounds just ideal in polyglot Britain.
    I would be happy to see an Afghan Muslim as Hornblower.
    Just as long as this droll bit of folklore survives into the 21st Century.
    I had not heard of St Wilfrid's Parade and did not know that August 1st
    was Yorkshire Day until that prophet of the hills Neil What's His Name informed me.
    You don't like Mummers ? I like German brass bands.
    How so very dare you as Catherine Tait remarks or is it Julia Davis ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Human Remains* Episode 1 (2/4). YouTube.
      *Human Remains* Episode 4 (3/3). YouTube.
      Julia Davis & Rob Brydon.

      I had my two English sisters laughing at this but have not yet shown them
      Julia Davis's *Hunderby* (DVD) which is a spoof of Daphne du Maurier's
      My Cousin Rachel.
      I have no interest in popular culture but Julia Davis as writer-actor has genius.

      Delete
    2. *Fear of Fanny.* BBC 2006. YouTube. (Joe Stafford).
      Julia Davis as Fanny Craddock the first television cook.

      *Hunderby (clips).* YouTube. Nerd Pirate Radio.
      Julie Davis in an eyepatch as chatelaine of a Gothic Welsh mansion.

      Delete
    3. I don't like Mummers the same way I don't like clowns, or pierrots, mimes etc.. Anyone who relies on excessive face paint and/or a mask to transport their art evokes feelings of unease and suspicion in me.

      Delete
    4. I would never wear a mask but then I would not go to a fancy dress party.
      I would not take part in any Freemason ritual which is a kind of mummery
      and not at all Christian.

      The great clowns of history - Grimaldi, Grock, Popov, Coco, Charlie Grimaldi -
      had art and it is an art that evokes unease and does so intentionally.
      Circuses fill me with mild unease and leave me sad including the circus scenes
      in Fellini.

      Chinese masks are meant to facilitate communion between people & gods.
      Venetian masks were about secrecy and transgression.
      The columbine mask was half disguise, half face.

      Venetian masks are in the Black Mass scene in Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut.
      Street preachers have stood outside Black Masses to proclaim the Gospel.

      Delete
  4. At the risk of sounding racist, I think the Ripon hornblower should indeed be Yorkshire born and bred. Hell if they can make a Spaniard the hornblower what will be next - a woman from South West Germany?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever next! What has the world come to!

      Delete
  5. I, too, would have ben disappointed to see Mummers replace the Hornblower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They surely could have still done their mumming fifteen minutes later. Does anyone actually really like them, I wonder?

      Delete