Thursday 18 November 2021

A Stuttgart Visit

After the busy and exhausting (but good!) start of the week with my Berlin trip and the all-day trainings and meetings the day afterwards, I took the rest of that week (Thursday and Friday) off. On the Friday, my sister also had the day off, and we decided to meet in Stuttgart around lunch time.

We had something to eat and then had a look round for Christmas presents for our friends and family in Yorkshire before deciding that we could actually find what we wanted in Ludwigsburg, too, and would not need to carry it all around with us for the whole afternoon.


For a few months now, a ferris wheel has been standing in front of the Neue Schloss ("new palace") in Stuttgart. It is part of the "The Länd" campaign of the federal state of Baden-Wuerttemberg, aimed at (young) experts from all sorts of industries and professions to make them move here and work in our notoriously understaffed companies. Let's not go into the sense or non-sense of this campaign; it has been widely discussed and criticised here (last but not least because it is monstrously expensive).


Anyway, I knew I wanted to ride on that ferris wheel and look at Stuttgart from a perspective never seen before or after, once the wheel will be gone.







The day had been grey and foggy until we met - and later, we heard that the sun and blue skies were only in Stuttgart and only for a few hours; right on time for our visit, and making for good views from the wheel!

Our next stop was the City Museum with its current exhibition about Wilhelm II, the last king of Wuerttemberg. It's been 100 years since his death in October 2021, and the exhibition shed light on all aspects of his life - public and private, from pets to politics.

Wilhelm in his later years. Ali and Ruby, his dogs, were at least as popular as himself.

A young Wilhelm in fashionable trousers. But the real star of the photo is the little dog!

"The King's darlings congratulate!" One of his courtiers made this as a birthday surprise for Wilhelm.

We both agreed that the exhibition was very interesting and the choice of exhibits good; the presentation itself could have been better in places. Some of the information signs were so low on the wall or even the floor that one had to kneel down to read them - impossible for some visitors. Also, the lighting was such that in places, we could not avoid casting our own shadows across the exhibit or the informative text (or both), and in some instances, there were smaller glass cases at the sides of larger exhibits where you had to squeeze into a tiny space if you wanted to look at them properly. So, yes, it could have been better, but we still did enjoy the exhibition and learned a lot from it.
I have written about Wilhelm before.


It was time for coffee and cake now, and we chose a place opposite the palace with a good view of the ferris wheel. It was lit up by then, and with darkness coming so early this time of year, it really was quite beautiful to look at.

View towards the palace and the wheel from the museum

What I saw from my seat in the café

16 comments:

  1. I love that Ferris wheel and I love the fact that you rode it! Those were some excellent views you had from the top!

    You look fantastic, by the way. Your hair color really suits you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer!

      The moment I read that there was going to be a ferris wheel in front of the palace for a while, I was determined to have a go :-)

      Delete
  2. What a good excursion for you after such a busy week and made all the better since your sister could be with you. Like Jennifer, I agree that you look terrific. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary!

      Yes, it was a good excursion. For two years now, nearly all my Stuttgart visits were for appointments at my eye doctor or the eye clinic. This made a very nice change.

      Delete
  3. Wow! what a fun visit! You sure saw a lot during your time there. I love the views from the ferris wheel! I would be afraid to go up on that wheel so I am glad you did it for me!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Ellen - it was my pleasure :-)
      The visit was indeed fun, as opposed to my usual trips to Stuttgart when I am there to see my eye doctor.

      Delete
  4. Nice that you were lucky with the weather on your day off, and for the view from ferris wheel. I think I was up in one once, in Gothenburg, very long time ago - if my memory of it is rather vague, that may be to do with being more preoccupied with controlling my fear of heights than admiring the views. I can't even remember who I was with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were lucky, weren't we!
      I have always loved ferris wheels, but I think the last one I've been on before this was years ago in Sheffield.

      Delete
  5. I do agree about Christmas presents - often near to home so no need to carry a long way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! I intend to gift-wrap everything this weekend and then take the (big) parcel to the post office on Monday. I suspect it will kost a small fortune, but it will be worth it as long as it arrives in time for Christmas - which is by no means certain with the current situation.

      Delete
  6. I love how you and your sister can get together to do things like this! Your pictures from the ferris wheel are beautiful and you are much braver than me. I am scared of heights and would not be able to go on the wheel but I'm sure glad you were able to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting on a ferris wheel does not take any courage for me, but I know people who are not good with heights. Good job it is a voluntary thing :-)
      It is nice that my sister and I live so close we can even meet for lunch breaks when we both work from home.

      Delete
  7. What a lovely day out with your sister. The ferris wheel looks very pretty at night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a lovely day! It was nice to look at the lights from my seat in the café - but somewhat impolite, as my sister was sitting opposite me and I should have been looking at her, too :-)

      Delete
  8. I have never been to Stuttgart and I've never actually been up a ferris wheel that height. We got to the London Eye once but the queue and time it would take made it impossible for us and I've never been to London since then (and am highly unlikely ever to go again). So I rather envy you.

    Looking at your comment in response to mine on your 2015 Wilhelm post makes me realise just how true today your words are - especially in this country unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowinhg that the ferris wheel is not going to be there permanently made me want to go all the more, and being in Stuttgart for something else than eye stuff was nice.

      I have just gone back to the 2015 post to read your comment and my reply. Indeed, six years on things have certainly not improved.

      Delete