Friday 5 November 2021

October Walls

You may have noticed that all my recent posts have a title that begins with October. I am slowly running out of ideas and thought of naming this one "October Castle", but somehow that sounded odd, and so I chose "Walls" - you will see why in a minute.

Last weekend was a long weekend in my part of Germany, with Monday, the 1st of November, being a Bank Holiday (All Saints). After my Girls' Night on the Friday, I arrived at O.K.'s on Saturday early afternoon, right in time for coffee and cake. As it was too close to sunset for a proper long walk, we only took a short walk through the village before settling down for the night. But we more than made up for that the next day!

Sunday was the last day of October, and the last October hike we undertook. It was very warm with temperatures reaching at least 20 Celsius in the sun, which induced most people to walk about short-sleeved and -legged, but as soon as you were in the shade or when the wind blew, you could tell it was autumn and not summer anymore.

We drove a short distance to a place not far from where O.K. works, and started a circuit I had found in one of our many leaflets. It was to take us to the ruins of castle Hohengeroldseck, a place we have visited together first in 2016 and then again in May 2020. You can read some facts about the castle here in my 2016 post.

Since the day was so beautiful and the countryside so gorgeous, I took too many pictures to fit them all in one post; therefore, this one ends with the castle, and then there will be just one other one to finally end my series of October posts.

Starting from the parking lot, we found it amazing how so close to a main road, just 10 minutes or 1 km away, it felt like being far away from the hustle and bustle of traffic and town life. There were a few typical Black Forest farm houses dotted along the path, which then took us steadily upwards and into the woods.






I found the long uphill part rather exhausting and had to stop to catch my breath a few times, but eventually, we reached the top and from there, it was not very far to the castle ruins.





After walking through the gate, visitors are greeted by this impressive sight:



The ruins can be explored left, right and centre, with a stone spiral staircase leading up all the way to the top, and even though I have seen them twice before, I was impressed once again by their size. One can well imagine the former grandeur.






The best, sunniest spots were all taken by other visitors, but we found a bench where we could rest and have our rucksack lunch, with this view of the ruins:

Along one of the walls, a small garden has been planted, showing herbs and spices that would have been known to the residents in medieval times. The pictures also show quite well how the natural rock was incorporated into the foundation walls of the castle.



We left Hohengeroldseck to complete our circuit, but I am certain that this was not our last visit here.

19 comments:

  1. As usual lovely photographs, impressive ruins and what aa splendid idea to plant a herb garden with herbs used in former times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We also have a "Roman" garden at the ruins of a Roman villa near where I live. It is, sadly, somewhat neglected, but the original idea was to show people what Romans grew for food and medicine; not just herbs, but also crop like lentils and wheat.

      Delete
  2. It looks a lovely walk, and the herb garden just the right note.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty sure that herb garden wasn't there yet at my first visit in 2016. Even with an old place like that, it's worth returning and look for changes!

      Delete
  3. Have looked it up - seems to have been a ruin for almost as long as it was lived in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, and I suppose it saw many extensions, repairs and other changes throughout its lived-in time.

      Delete
  4. Simply gorgeous! What stunning views. I love the idea of the herb garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a wonderful day, way too good to stay at home! The herb garden was still pretty, but it must be really gorgeous in the summer.

      Delete
  5. Love all the various colors and textures you captured in your photos. Can see why you felt compelled to take so many photos--a way to preserve a beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary! With some of our walks, I could stop every few paces to take pictures and have to force myself to go on. I do look at my photos and relive the beautiful days every now and then, sometimes years afterwards.

      Delete
  6. It makes you wonder about the workers that constructed it - going up and down that steep hill with all of those rocks, equipment and tools - exhausting! I thought the same thing when I got to hike on the Great Wall in China - how did they build it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By cheap labour and no regards for the safety, rights and needs of those who did the actual work - but of course you know that already. Only qualified craftsmen such as stone masons were somewhat better off, receiving payment and often having proper living quarters on site or nearby.

      Delete
  7. May I add my appreciation to you for your wonderful photographs and your well written dialog. In my opinion, you could write about and photograph the German countryside professionally. Were I younger, I'd hop the first plane and come to visit your beautiful country personally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, thank you very much for this kind comment! I love writing and, to an extent, do it professionally (working out guidelines and regulations for my clients as well as writing my own schooling material).

      Delete
  8. Those first nine photographs are like paradise, and what weather for November !
    I never agreed with poet John Donne who said it would always be autumn in Heaven.
    If autumn can give Germans a day as lovely as this, perhaps I was wrong to prefer spring.

    The fourth castle picture is iconic, because I like looking out at green lands through the narrow aperture of old stone: you get views like this from the back of Stirling Castle. I am also reminded of the Lammermuir Hills in East Lothian.

    You mentioned ruins of a Roman garden near where you live: was it not dedicated to a god with a stone image on a plinth?
    It gives me a pleasing feeling of deja vu because I had forgotten all about it.
    Could be so kind as to give me a click of your old post? Thanks.
    Jack (John) Haggerty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack (John), it was actually still October, but almost November :-)
      I have always loved autumn but maybe I love it more now than when I was younger, when summer was my favourite season.
      The post about the Roman garden at the outskirts of Ludwigsburg is here.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for letting me reread your great post on the Roman garden in Ludwigsburg.

      I am going to read it carefully and then make a notation in my journal so I can return to it at any time.
      Roman legions in Germanic lands haunt me. As their strange gods haunted CS Lewis.

      Glad you like autumn more now than then. Winter is good when you can meet up.
      I dread those heavy snows and almost no daylight. Whistle a happy tune.
      Jack

      Delete
  9. Perfect day for photography as well as walking - I'd have stopped every few paces to take photos as well! :) (Somehow, I've also always loved old ruins, even very early holiday photos from my teens confirm that...)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, you know what I mean :-) Same as when I see a particularly beautiful sunrise or sunset, I want to take so many pictures I would be easier to just film it.

    ReplyDelete