Saturday 13 November 2021

Last Saturday

A week ago today, O.K. and I spent good part of the day with my sister. Don't get your hopes up, though - you still won't see pictures of either of them on my blog, just little old me :-)

We started off meeting up for breakfast at a lovely little café in the town centre. The place is run by an American who offers typical American dishes such as French toast, American cheese cake and much more. We like the decor and furniture; it is a mix of vintage 1950s armchairs and tables and some very modern pieces. Everything is spotlessly clean, the staff is really friendly and the prices appropriate.

After filling ourselves up to the brim with maple syrup and other sugary things, we moved on to one of the larger shops near the market square to look for something I wanted for Christmas. It turned out the exact object of my desire does not exist, but we still had a good look round and came across some... erm... tasteful Christmas decor. (It's the same place where I once made friends with a llama.)

So tacky and over the top - I couldn't resist!

These two scared me, especially the big one - he was moving!!

So far, the day had been grey and overcast, but dry. We decided to walk to the palace grounds for a stroll there. On our way, we popped in at a new wine place; O.K. and I have been inside before and found it a very good source for wine and much more. They also offer tastings and one can book groups in for birthdays etc. This time, we sat down for a glass of prosecco or two - very comfortable, very nice and very relaxing.

Finally, we made it across the road to the palace garden, and towards the end of our stroll, the sun broke through the thick layer of clouds, lighting up the autumn colours beautifully:


O.K. and I were home in time for coffee and cake, and then there was still an hour or so left until sunset. The golden late afternoon light lured us out once more, this time for a walk on the fields.



We spent a quiet evening at home, eating the spicy spuds and parsnip soup (sprinkled with diced bacon, chestnuts and fresh coriander) I had made (very welcome, as the evening turned rather cold once the sun had gone) and later watching TV.

16 comments:

  1. These kind of days seem to generate cold nights. Warm here so no heating on but by golly it has come chilly at 3p,m - just turned the heating on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have had the first night frost a few nights ago, but the days still get up to 11C. I don‘t like to be cold inside the house and so usually turn the heating on relatively early, especially first thing in the morning in my bathroom - I hate having a shower in a cold bathroom.

      Delete
  2. So French toast is American! Sunny again I see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. French Toast is definitely American for me - I have never seen it in France in all the many years I have been there for holidays or to visit family and friends.
      I shall soon put up a post specifically for you, with pictures of the un-sunny walk we had today.

      Delete
  3. I love how your sweet yellow boots match the little legs of the colorful chair! You look so cozy and cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn‘t even aware of the chair legs being yellow until you pointed it out, Ellen!
      Those boots are among my favourites, but they are only fit for city walks or the office, not for longer walks or rougher paths.

      Delete
  4. It sounds like a wonderful weekend! The days have become so short now but you managed to get a lot in with the daylight you had available. I love the gnomes but if they started moving I would certainly be surprised!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so important for our health to catch at least some daylight every day!
      The larger gnome was swaying as if he was listening to some secret music, unheard by anyone else. The other one just stood there. Whenever I see something like that in a shop, I can‘t help but wonder who buys it, and who has enough room to put up such large deco things!

      Delete
  5. From the cafe photo, you could be the elegant author of German thrillers, stories set around the towns of the Black Forest, featuring a lady detective, a bit like Arlette Van der Valk. Arlette was Dutch, but never mind.

    Morning coffee with French toast; a welcome glass of prosecco; Kaffee und Kuchen in the afternoon; for dinner parsnip soup with chestnuts and coriander.
    It could be a Nicolas Freeling novel, right enough. You could be Arlette Van der Valk.

    I shall follow up your earlier Berlin trips (previous post) and go into the Searchbox for Lindau and Strasbourg (where Freeling lived). I did not know about Searchbox !
    Danke fur all deine freundlichkeit.
    Jack der Leser

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lieber Jack, I should really like being an author! I love writing, but I lack the creative energy and stamina for a novel. Blogging is ideal for me as a form of writing, as it allows me to cober any subject I feel like, at any length from just a few words (and maybe a link to further information) to a thorough treatment.

      It is gratifying to see how my posts trigger thoughts, ideas and comparisons in you, lieber Leser.

      Delete
  6. All in all, I am not a fan of shopping, but I think if I could spend a day with you that might change! Especially if you'll share the soup at the end of the day. I'll bring wine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shopping has been much reduced under the pandemic; these days, I go and get the necessary things as quickly as I can. Funnily enough, the three of us left the shop without having bought anything.
      Pop over with that wine any time!

      Delete
  7. WOW! Sounds like a perfect day. I am not one to comment on fashion or clothing very often but that coat really suits you. I think the sentence that begins "Finally, we made it across the road to the palace garden..." should probably be changed to "Finally we staggered across the road to the palace garden singing German drinking songs at full volume..."!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Neil. I spotted that coat years ago in Selfridge‘s in Harrogate, and just knew it was mine, as if it had my name tag attached.
      And no, we did neither stagger nor sing drinking songs! It takes a bit more than a glass or two of prosecco for me to start staggering. Singing - now, that can happen with zero alcohol.

      Delete
  8. As so often happens I read your post on my phone and have only just managed to read it on my computer to comment (I have absolutely no idea why I told you all that 🙄).

    In so many ways that is my idea sort of relaxed day. I really enjoy going for walks and meeting friends at the Woodlands café and then going for a walk.

    I really admire your coat. It suits you. Have I seen it before?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good day from start to finish.

      I've had that coat for years, and it usually features on my blog when I post pictures of visiting the Christmas market or other wintery things. It is not very warm, so I can't really wear it on the coldest days, but I love it - also because it always reminds me of a fun day out in Harrogate (where I bought it) with my sister and my niece.

      Delete