Wednesday 3 November 2021

October Light

Last week, I managed an after-work walk on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday. They were all good walks but lasted well into the sunset - and that was before we turned the clocks back on Sunday.

There is just something about sunsets and sunrises, and especially the beautiful golden afternoon light in October, that makes me want to drink it all in as much as I can.

Sunrise from my kitchen window






Friday saw my group of girl* friends finally re-establishing our monthly meetings from pre-Covid times! You have read about our Girls' Nights several times on my blog, but of ourse we had to suspend them under Covid restrictions, with only occasionally holding video call via Jitsi; not the same as meeting properly, as you will all know, and rather exhausting after one has already spent all day at the computer screen in video calls for work.

So, yes, Friday: That friend of ours who has moved North for love more than 10 years ago is still very much part of our group, and whenever she can, she combines a trip south with seeing us. She was in the area for the weekend and asked us whether we could meet on the Friday evening. Of course we could! I quickly offered to host our reunion, and let her have my Third Room (study) for the night before she moved on to meet other friends on the Saturday morning.

It was wonderful to see my friends again after so many months! We had plenty to eat (and not too much to drink), and there was lots of laughter. You can imagine that we did not run out of topics of conversation. 
Friday nights usually mean that all of us have a busy working week under our belts, and we're not getting any younger; therefore, it was hardly surprising that by midnight, everyone but my friend had left. We cleared up quickly (there was not much to do, really), and it was lights out at the Librarian's flat before 1:00 am.

*You know what I mean - of course we are well past girl age; the youngest of our group is 36, the oldest 54.

16 comments:

  1. The sort of night that leaves your thoughts buzzing for several days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! And in only a few weeks' time I will see most of them again for our annual Secret Santa - a highlight in my social calendar!

      Delete
  2. I know just how you feel. Had the same kind of reunion with a few friends in Scotland a little over a week ago. Those memories will have to last me for a long time. So glad you have had a lovely reunion with your friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun, and I really enjoyed the evening, and also that I had some quiet time with just my friend who was staying the night.
      The others will be my guests again in a few weeks for our traditional Secret Santa!

      Delete
  3. Reconnecting with old friends is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Old friends - a glass of wine - what could be better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And even better when I can play host and can just drop into bed when everyone has gone!

      Delete
  5. Your Girls' Night sounds like so much fun! I'm glad you were able to get together. Those are beautiful sunsets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do have fun - otherwise we would not be keeping up our regular get-togethers; we started them 20 years or so ago!
      It is the time of year when I also get to see beautiful sunrises.

      Delete
  6. What a fun time you all had. Friends are so important in our lives. Most of mine I see on a one to one basis and currently we need to consider some meeting up now most of us have received vaccine #3 and life feels safer!
    Sunrise-sunset - all are beautiful to view and be thankful for!
    Have a great upcoming weekend.
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone who was at my house that Friday night has been fully vaccinated for some time, and the booster (#3) is neither recommended nor yet available for people under 70 over here - it will come, though, I am sure, and then I will have it, too.
      Thank you, Mary; you too have a great weekend!
      Meike
      x

      Delete
  7. At my age sleep is a sweeter option than early morning vigils.
    I was thrilled nevertheless to see sunrise from your kitchen window. Magic.

    In my youth student friends trecked to Edinburgh, crashed in someone's apartment, and watched the sun rise from the cold grassy heights of Arthur's Seat. I declined the adventure. I'm not sure whether it was under the influence of hallucinogens.

    Good that your friend returned from the North for the meet-up.
    I have a beautiful Spanish film on DVD, *The South* which makes me wonder about the cultural shifts between north and south Germany.
    Have you ever written about it on earlier posts?
    Thanks for this lovely late fall post.
    Jack H

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jack, for most of the year, I do not get up early enough to see the sun rise. But in winter, that happens late enough for me to witness it.

    I guess most countries large enough to develop them have regional differences in culture, architecture, language and so on. There are noteable differences between the north and south, east and west of Germany, of course. Even between my federal state of Baden-Württemberg and the neighbouring one, Bavaria; and even between my part of the state (Württemberg) and O.K.'s (Baden). I have not written about these differences, but I have posted pictures of the small town where my friend lives in the north. The architecture there is very different from what you see on my Black Forest and other pictures. Click here for that post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My gracious thanks for alerting me to your earlier post on north Germany.

      I have only just clicked it, and the photos of the houses are so wonderful, I shall savour them tomorrow evening.
      I do like looking at these exquisite houses, and I see there is a plaque to Bernard Shaw : I am a Shavian and I shall relish your report.
      Jack

      Delete
    2. I knew you would like the Shaw reference!
      Yes, Mölln is very picturesque, and my friend is lucky to have found love in such a beautiful place.

      Delete