Monday 1 November 2021

October Vineyards

On Saturday, October 23, we took the short-distance local train from Ludwigsburg to Benningen where a circuit through vineyards along and above the river was beckoning. I had read about it earlier that week in the local paper, and since it was good walking weather, there we were after a ride of about 10 minutes.

The circuit was well signposted, and we had no problem finding the starting point descending the main road through the village and crossing the river.

Somehow, blogging and uploading pictures works not quite as smoothly from my ipad as at my normal computer, but since I am currently at O.K.‘s for the long weekend (today, Monday, Nov. 1st being a public holiday here in the south of Germany), that‘s what I have.

Therefore, here are my pictures of that walk - in no particular order:





Overlooking Benningen from a viewing terrace, purpose-built earlier this year:

View towards Marbach, where I‘d only been a few days before for work:







The walk was pleasant and easy-going, and I am sure I will walk it again at some stage; it is always interesting to repeat a walk at a different time of year. Maybe my sister will come along with me; at about 7-8 km, it is not too long and could be undertaken after work in spring or early summer, when there is enough daylight left.

Speaking of my sister, she joined us for dinner that night. I made Yorkshire pudding and a mix of roast veg (spuds, parsnips and Hokkaido pumpkin). There was deer goulash for O.K. and myself and a spicy tomato sauce for my sister. We had a special atumn brew local beer for starters and then switched to wine for the meal. It was a cosy evening at home with just the three of us, and plenty to talk about and laugh. 

Normally, I would have invited my parents, too; but with my Dad‘s health issues, things like that are no longer possible. Well, they are, but the effort would mostly be on my Mum, and she would not be able to enjoy the occasion the way she should. These days, it is simply easier when we go to see my parents instead of the other way round, and that is what we did on the Sunday, before O.K. had to drive home.

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lot of fun! and the hike provided lots of lovely views!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, and it did! As to the views - yes, there is a lot of less beautiful industrial area to see. But… that is what my area (the Greater Stuttgart region is like, and there have always been industrial estates lining the river, benefiting from its shipping capacities.

      Delete
  2. I always help myself to a few grapes if there are any when walking through vineyards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I don‘t… but I admit to occasionally picking up walnuts that have fallen on the path.

      Delete
    2. We're clearly not as law abiding here. Except for YP!

      Delete
  3. Your pictures show the beautiful Autumn views and gorgeous sky you enjoyed on your walk. It sounds like a lovely weekend with your sister joining you for dinner and then a visit with your parents the next day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely weekend, like as good as all my weekends are, actually!
      My parents love O.K. and are always happy to see him. My Dad recognised him instantly after his episode in hospital three years ago when he could not remember much.

      Delete
  4. That sounded like a lovely evening together with O.K. and your sister. As for your dear parents I know where you're coming from in regard to getting them out and about these days - it's hard! I'm feeling my age now and the pandemic has definitely not helped. That, along with my back/leg issue, has really prevented me from getting about like usual. PT helping some but still in pain. Sunday though I threw caution to the wind - well actually it was calm, sunny and perfect weather, no wind just a soft Autumn breeze - and we drove a little way to a lake, Bob helping me to climb up a wooded area to the top of the dam and just enjoyed a change of scenery and fresh air for a while. Life is often full of small pleasures - that was one for me. I'll post pix soon.
    Keep walking dear Meike, it's so important. I just saw a Confucius quote this morning - it hit home! "It does not matter how slowly you go as long a you do not stop" - so true.
    Hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right and do well to appreciate the small pleasures in life! The walks we undertake are "for free" - all we need to do is get up and go, and the beautiful autumn colours and fresh air in the woods only "cost" us a few hours of our time, well spent in my opinion!
      Looking forward to your post about your trip to the lake.

      Delete