Tuesday 8 November 2022

Summer in October

The week from Oct. 17 to 23 was much warmer than what you'd expect in this part of the world for mid/late October. Some days we had 24 Celsius during the day - we have seen days in July that were cooler! The sunny weather was welcome, and especially now that energy prices have increased so much, most people were glad that they did not need to switch the heating on in their houses just yet.
 
On Monday, the 17th of October, I ran an errand in town after work and then went to my Mum's, where the three of us had our evening meal together. There was still lots to talk about, and we shared the beautiful cards and kind words that kept arriving at our respective homes.
 
I started my lunch break early on Tuesday (Oct. 18) in order to be at my Mum's in time for the priest's visit. My parents have never been very religious, and most of their church going happened in connection with concerts, but the local parish priest had come to see my Dad on his 80th birthday, and the two of them had gotten along very well. Therefore my Mum decided she wanted him to conduct the funeral service, and now for 1 1/2 hours my Mum, my sister and I talked to him about our Dad so that he could use our thoughts and memories for his sermon.
It was still Summer Time, meaning I had enough daylight left for a good long walk to Benningen after work.




 
Wednesday, the 19th, saw me back at my Mum's after work. I timed my visit so that I could in a quick walk across the fields, sort of a detour instead of walking directly to her place, and I looked at the bird my Mum and my sister had chosen as my Dad's marker on the graveyard.
In the photo below you can see my new rug, perfectly matching the colour scheme in my living room. My Mum ordered it for me; it was offered to her as part of Amazon's product testing program.
 




My Dad's bird, marked with a red ribbon so that the funeral director would know which one is ours.

Thursday (Oct. 20) was uneventful with working from home as usual and a walk to Pattonville afterwards. There was some rain in the evening but it was still warm.
 
On Friday, the 21st of October, I went to work on-site at my client's. It is unusual for me to go there on a Friday, but I was there for a reason: The company offered the new vaccine, and I signed up for my fourth jab. I didn't feel a thing - neither the actual jab nor any side effects afterwards. It was all well organised and I was grateful for the chance. 
I went to my Mum's directly from there; she made Hawaii toast for the three of us, and we shared more cards and were glad to be in each other's company.
 
O.K. arrived at my place on Saturday (Oct. 22) in the early afternoon. We went to have coffee and cake at my Mum's - on the balcony in the sun, it was so warm. From there, O.K. and I went to the fields, walking about 10 km in the beautiful evening light before it was time to head home for our evening meal.

Sunday, the 23rd of October, was again very warm. We had a leisurely breakfast with rolls and croissants freshly delivered from the bakery, and then set off for a walk via the lake (Monrepos) to Asperg. Back home, coffee and cake were welcome, and as usual, O.K. had to leave after dinner.
 
The week was both ordinary and special; ordinary because of work and errands, special because of the summery weather and all the things still happening in connection with my Dad's death.

10 comments:

  1. Nice that you got a bit of extended summer in October :) We had rather mild weather in October as well, but not quite that warm. I notice that the new rug even matches the tray on your table... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, doesn't it!
      The weather has still been rather mild and often sunny until the start of this week; last night, rain has set in and it is going to be cooler now. 4C yesterday morning when I left the house for work, but again 16C during our lunch break walk.

      Delete
  2. I just googled Hawaii toast, it looks delicious, i'll be trying it soon

    Hazel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For ten years now, I have been making Hawaii toast every year when I host Girls' Night with Secret Santa at my place on the first Friday in December. You can see my "recipe" (if you can call it that) here:
      https://librarianwithsecrets.blogspot.com/2012/12/hours-of-fun.html

      Delete
  3. Some lovely photos--especially the ones with the sun breaking through clouds. And the rug looks good, too. Truly does match your decor.

    So glad you have been able to get in almost daily walks and in such good weather. Surely it has been a gift during a time when your walks give you space and opportunity to think--with only nature's bounty to distract you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary. Those skyscapes looked even more beautiful in real life; my phone's camera just can't capture what my eyes really see.

      Those walks are so important for my physical and mental wellbeing. Now that summertime has ended and it gets dark so early, I will have to change my routine and extend my lunch breaks in order to catch some daylight.

      Delete
  4. I didn't know what Hawaii toast was either but now I do! Google is so helpful to me. :)
    We changed our clocks this past weekend so now it starts getting dark by 4:30 pm. Does it do that where you are? - no after work walks for you! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You weren't reading my blog yet when I started posting about making Hawaii toast for my girl friends once a year; the first time was in 2012 in this post:
      https://librarianwithsecrets.blogspot.com/2012/12/hours-of-fun.html

      We changed our clocks last weekend, too, and sunset is now just before 5:00. By 5:30 pm it is pitch black.

      Delete
  5. I remember a priest coming to Mum's flat after my Dad's death and he also came to collect memories and things to say at the funeral service. Like you and your family we were not churchgoers. I think the German way of arranging the funeral and looking after graves is comforting although it can also be over the top.

    I hope the three of you (four with OK) will be able to give each other all the comfort you need to see your through this difficult time. Much love to your Mum.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Friko.

      My Dad (and the rest of the family) would not have wanted anything over the top for his funeral - it just wasn't "him". We were lucky in having such a good, helpful and professional person at the undertaker's assisting us, and the priest is a good and kind man, down to earth with a sense of humour we all appreciate.

      Delete