Tuesday 1 November 2022

My Dad

Three weeks ago today, on Tuesday, the 11th of October, I saw my Dad for the very last time. As you know from my previous posts, he had been in hospital for more than five weeks already. The same as nearly every day during those five weeks, my Mum, my sister and I went to see him that afternoon. He was having difficulties breathing and was on an oxygen supply.

In the early hours of Wednesday, October 12, he simply stopped breathing and died in his sleep. 

My Mum got the phonecall at around 3:30 in the morning and then rang my sister and me. I had been awake around that time, too, and had only gone back to bed a few minutes before the call. 

Wolfgang Hölscher 31.01.1942 - 12.10.2022

My Dad was 80 years old in January. He'd been in and out of hospital a few times this year, and we had known about the risks his last big surgery was carrying. Still, when it actually did happen, it hit us hard.

My sister, our Dad and I, ca. 1970

Early afternoon of that day, my Mum and I went to the undertakers' together. The lady who talked to us there was wonderful, showing the right mixture of professionalism and empathy. As I am sure all of you know, there is plenty to organise, to decide and to do when someone dies, but having an undertaker who takes as much as possible off your hands is so very helpful.

There was still enough left for the three of us to do, and it was obvious once more how good it is that we live within easy walking distance of each other.

My sister and I picked up his belongings at the hospital later that afternoon. The nurse who handed us his bag had tears in her eyes, too; they were all so kind to our Dad and looked after him well, doing more than their duty.

My parents at Ludwigsburg's Horse Market, 2016

...and at the same event in 2012. This is one of my favourite photos of my parents.

The funeral was last Friday, and in spite of it being a sad day, it was also a beautiful day - it was good to see so many friends, relatives and neighbours. 

One of my Dad's life-long hobbies was watching birds and identifying them by their voices; he was really good at that, and his love of nature rubbed off on me and my sister. When we learned that there was a "flock of birds" gravesite at the cemetery closest to my parents' house, we knew that this was what he would have chosen for himself. Each bird there marks one tomb, with the urn underneath, covered with a round stone lid the size of a large dinner plate and engraved with the person's name. The birds and the stone are meant to be the only markers; people are not supposed to care for the place like one would do with traditional graves. The flowers you see in my pictures were from the funeral and will be removed by the cemetery gardeners.


My Dad's blue bird, taking off towards the fields and wide open skies.

Somehow it takes a sad event like this to bring people back together; I had not seen some of our relatives in years.

For me, with all my sadness and grieving for my Dad, there has also been a lot of gratitude from the moment I learned of his death. Gratitute that his suffering finally had come to an end, and gratitude for having had such a wonderful Dad for so many years.

He was around all my life; I never knew this world without him in it. Now the three of us have to get used to living with his memories and a Dad-shaped gap in our lives. My Mum and my Dad were together for 62 years - she was 16 and he was 18 when they met.

Here is a short link list for you if you are interested:

  • Dad's 70th birthday is here
  • First time I showed my Dad on my blog is here
  • Dad's spud salad (the best ever!) is here 
  • My parents' 55th wedding anniversary is here
With some of you I have been in touch outside this blog, so you knew (or could imagine) what was going on since I last posted here. Thank you for allowing me this time to get sorted a bit before I wrote this post.

34 comments:

  1. Well done Meike. A sad time, but I'm sure with such a wonderful dad you will come to remember all the good times and enjoy them again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tasker. Yes, thinking, talking and writing about my Dad is good.

      Delete
  2. Farewell Wolfgang! With the funeral director's assistance you found a fine place for his remains to rest. Looking at the two photos of your father when he was young, I can see a strong physical resemblance between you and him. I respect the fact that you took time off from blogging during this sorrowful time. How wonderful to be remembered so sweetly by the three most important women in his life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Neil. It's always been like that, my sister resembling my Mum more and I my Dad.

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry for your family's loss; thank you for sharing moments with your dad with us, and the story of his passing. In many ways it reminded me of my own dad's death 4 years ago; his birthday is Friday and I will be at the cemetery with flowers, a remembrance that seems to comfort my mother although she is not able to be there. The cemetery arrangement for your father is very beautiful and in tune with his interests; how lucky to have found such an appropriate remembrance.

    I hope you are staying well and taking care of yourself as well as others.

    ceci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, ceci. My sister and I have been seeing our Mum almost every day over the past weeks. We have always been close and are even more so now.
      With your dad's death only four years ago, you will still be missing him a lot, I guess.

      Delete
  4. You have many wonderful memories to share with your Mom and sister and I hope they bring you comfort during this sad time. I am glad you had such a terrific Dad, Meike. This post is a lovely tribute to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ellen. I could have written a post ten times as long as this one, even an entire book about my Dad and my memories of him.

      Delete
  5. I am sorry to hear of your loss Meike. I noticed you had been quiet and wondered if your dad had passed on. He was a fine looking man and you have written a fine tribute to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachel. There is so much more I could have included in this post, and I think I will write more about him to mark his birthday in January.

      Delete
  6. Your silence led me to feel that your father had gone.
    Two photographs of your father and mother together, at their happiest.
    Your father holding you and your sister. Beautiful beyond words.
    All those years he had with your mother and his two beloved daughters: A good life.
    This Christmas will be special as well as sad. Time Past will meet Time Present.
    He is gone only because you cannot see him for this little space of time.
    *This is the end. For me the beginning.* - Bonhoeffer's last words.
    J.H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jack.
      This Christmas will be hard; the first one without Dad. Bonhoeffer's words "Von guten Mächten wunderbar geborgen" never fail to bring tears to my eyes.

      Delete
  7. It is difficult to loose a parent no matter your age. So glad you could see him so often while he was in hospital. You have my deep felt sympathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anonymous. I am so glad all three of us saw him that Tuesday afternoon He waved goodbye to us as he always did when we left his hospital room.

      Delete
  8. Meike, my thoughts are with you, your lovely mother and dear sister. You've been on my mind these past weeks, knowing how precarious your father's health had been. Thankful that you had a caring funeral director to help the three of you through the process. Never easy. Many years of love and memories will keep your Dad in your heart and mind for all your days to come. May you all feel the love and compassion of those who follow your journey on the blog. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary. Our funeral director has been great throughout. She is a young woman I admire; her job is to help people through a very difficult time and she does it wonderfully.
      It is good to read the kind words of my fellow bloggers here.

      Delete
  9. Dear Meike, What a beautiful post. I love those photos of your parents and the ones of your Dad when he was younger! Thanks so much for sharing them here. It's hard to type this through my tears. Birds! You know I love them too and I just love the bird markers in the cemetery. My deepest sympathy is with you and your family. Love, Kay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Kay. You and your Dad were very close, and I know you still miss him lots. The photo of my Dad as a young man is the one I most associate with him, as I have known this picture for as long as I can remember.

      Delete
  10. Prayers and thoughts…wonderful memories
    Brenda in Florida

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for this lovely post Meike. I know he must have been so very proud of you, his wonderful daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jill. His family was most important to my Dad, he loved the three of us to bits.

      Delete
  12. This was a nice tribute to your dad, Meike. I've been thinking of you and your mom and sister, and how good it is that the three of you have each other to lean on. Take care. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer. I could have gone on and on about my Dad here; the more I wrote, the more thoughts came up. But of course I had to decide what to include here and what to leave out (and possibly write about some other time).

      Delete
  13. Meike dear, please know that Bob and I are very sad to hear of your lovely Dad's passing after such a lengthy hospitalization. May he rest in peace and may you, your Mother, and sister hold together in your grief knowing he is no longer in pain. I've always enjoyed seeing your wonderful parents shared with us over the years of blogging - thank you for the photos and your words. Bless you all today and always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Mary. The last years of my Dad's life became increasingly difficult, and especially the last weeks in hospital were very hard. To know that he is suffering no more is comforting.

      Delete
  14. So sorry for your loss. May his memory be a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Please accept my condolences for your loss. While i do not comment often, i do enjoy following your blog and i am very sad for your whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely post to commemorate your Dad, Meike. And I like that gravesite with the birds. Similar arrangements (although I've not seen any with birds!) have become quite common here too in later years. Seems like a good alternative to me if one doesn't want a "traditional" grave but still a place marked with the name to visit. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Monica. The flock of birds was new to us, and most of the birds are still "unoccupied". It is so very much like him that I felt almost happy when the lady at the undertaker's suggested it.

      Delete
  17. Meike, you, your Mum and your Sister have been in my thoughts a lot since i first learned of your Dad's passing. To have been loved in the way that your Dad was and to be immortalised in the memories you all have of him is a fitting and poignant tribute to a person who was so important to his family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Graham. Your beautiful card has pride of place among the many I received during the last 3 weeks.
      The importance was reciprocated; his family was everything to my Dad, and he was a good and reliable friend, popular with nearly everyone he met.

      Delete