Monday 14 November 2022

Last of October, First of November

With my catching up I have now arrived at the week starting on the last day of October and spanning the first week of November.

Monday, 31st of October:  The 1st of November being a public holiday in Germany, many people took that day off as well and made a mini break of it. O.K. was one of them and stayed with me until Monday morning.

Because I had neglected work quite a bit since my Dad went to hospital on Sept. 1st, I could not really afford to take additonal time off and worked as usual. For my lunch break, I walked across town to the funeral director's and picked up the enlarged photograph they had made for display at the funeral service and the USB stick with the music my Mum had chosen. Of course, they don't store these things once the funeral is over, and gave them to us to keep.

It would have been my late husband's 54th birthday.

No trick and treating at my door; Halloween is not huge in my neighbourhood, and my house is set back from the road with the entrance hardly visible.

Tuesday, the 1st of November, was a day off for me, too. O.K. was scheduled to play with the village band on the graveyard, as they always do for that occasion, and so we spent the day seperately. In the afternoon, my sister and I were helping our Mum getting things ready for pick-up by the rubbish collectors the next morning. I timed a short walk on the fields so that I was getting some exercise and daylight in and be at my Mum's as arranged.

I went for a beautiful long walk on Wednesday (Nov. 2), to Benningen (again). It did me good, especially as I learned of a very close family friend being gravely ill.





 

Last year, my Mum, my sister and I visited the "Leuchtende Traumpfade" at the palace grounds and enjoyed that very much. Therefore, we agreed on going to this year's edition on Thursday, the 3rd of November. This time, only my Mum and I went; my sister did not feel like it since she is the person closest to our friend who is so ill.

My Mum came by bus and I on foot; her bus was 20 minutes late because of the many roadworks taking place all across town. The palace grounds were busy, but we still enjoyed the sights and sounds.







Friday (Nov. 4) after work, my usual train was not running. The alternative did not quite work out, either; it was nearly 9:00 pm by the time I finally arrived in Offenburg. Never mind - I made it, and we had an assortment of fine cheeses and a bottle of rosé wine for our late evening meal.

My late husband was once again on my mind more than usual on Saturday, the 5th of November, as it was the 13th anniversary of his death. The rain that had begun to fall the evening before ceased around lunch time, and we took advantage of the mostly dry afternoon for a walk to Oberschopfheim through the vineyards, fields and orchards. Apple pie and coffee were perfect when we returned, and the evening was cosy with some TV.


Oberschopfheim







This one is for Kay!
 

Our hike on Sunday deserves a separate post.

14 comments:

  1. I am late to your blog…sorry about your husband. He must have been really young…devastating…

    ReplyDelete
  2. With all that has happened in your life, it is no wonder you remain in a contemplative mood. Glad you have places to walk that give you such large sky vistas. Places for the legs and the mind to wander. Gut, dass du gerne wanderst. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danke, Mary. Contemplative? Yes, maybe that's one aspect of my walking. Others would call me superficial or shallow, but they don't really know what's inside. I know that I'd go completely mad without walking.

      Delete
  3. It is good that you are finding peace in walking and the countryside around you. It is sad when a parent dies and one death has brought back other memories. I think it is the best way forward to dwell on past good times but not allow depression to take hold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am fortunate in that I seem to have quite a bit of natural resilience. Some people interpret it as cold hearted, but that's just their impression.

      Delete
  4. I am glad you have your lovely hikes and OK to help you through your sadness. It is nice to celebrate the old memories while making new memories. Take care, Meike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ellen! Those hikes (and my own walks) mean a lot to me - they are crucial for my physical and mental health.

      Delete
  5. Some lovely pictures to accompany this catch-up blogpost. My favourite came third from the end with a lovely rippling evening sky that is often referred to in English as a "mackerel sky" - likened to the markings on the skin of a mackerel fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Neil. That happens to me my favourite picture of this set, too. We have no term like mackerel sky in German, but we call a big "herd" of small fluffy clouds Schäfchenwolken, sheep clouds.

      Delete
  6. Oh those sunflowers!! Thanks so much for thinking of me! I'm so sorry that on top of everything you now have a close friend who is ill. Keep in nature as much as possible. Looks like I don't need to give you that advice!! Be like the sunflower and turn towards the light!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Kay!
      Our poor dear friend won't get any better if I stay in, and I can (and do) think of him no matter whether I am stuck at my desk or out walking. I much prefer the latter.

      Delete